• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1200 LMC/ Spryte steering newb question

heino

Hello Forum experts, I have a mid 80's 1200 (so I guess it is an LMC)? 10 man cabin. Just figuring machine out after acquiring it with burnt cab. The only manual I have gotten so far is for older 1200 Spryte (2-4)? person. Most of components appear to match and make sense...
I did search on steering components here and I am puzzled about the hydraulic pump that sits without a belt in engine compartment. Machine runs fine, steers with little effort with the master/ slave hydraulic system. The owners manual I have talks about some kind of power assist for the steering coming from the pump.
When I first saw the pump I thought it was for hydraulic implements.
Guess I have to get under machine and trace any lines that come out of pump.
Anyone out there who can shed some light on how this is supposed to work.
Motor is Ford 300-6 with C6 trans.
Any help appreciated thanks.

I have never seen the Spryte with hydraulic steering assist but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an option at one time or another. Does your cat have about 6 quick disconnect fittings coming out the front of the cab below the drivers headlight somewhere. If it does then it had front hydraulics for a snow blade at one time. There was a control valve mounted inside with either three individual handles or one "T" handle to operate the blade if it had one. The pump was usually mounted on the drivers side and driven by a wide cog belt. There was a hydraulic tank under the drivers seat on the Spryte I had too.

heino

Thanks for quick response Alaska; No, there is no other evidence of hydraulic abilities such as tank, outlets, holes, etc. No implement mounts at either end of machine. I was working with an older Spryte that had all that stuff so I am fairly familiar with those.
Pump is on drivers side...there is also a round approx. 5 inch hole in drivers side doghouse just under heater core and behind rad (controls maybe?)

Sylvia Tunaskas

I also have a mid 80's 1200. I got a manual from Petersons a few years back when I purchased the machine. Looking in the manual there is a page named "Differential Cooling for Vehicles Without Hydraulics". There is a pump, power steering, part #1228298. I am no expert but looking at the diagram it looks like it pumps fluid from the rear end to a front end cooler. Hope this helps.

heino

Thanks Sylvia, the plot thickens...I am wondering if the vehicles with hydraulics share the oil with hydraulic system in the rear end? Further study required.

Sylvia Tunaskas

Mine does. I think total capacity of the system is around 7 Gallons. (with hydraulics) I am not sure as to the capacity of those without hydraulics. There appears to also be a difference in fluids used in the rear end / reservior of hydraulic and non hydraulic units. There are many threads with suggestions as to types to use. It is important to use a fluid that is compatible with the braking / steering bands as their effectiveness and life span can be hampered with the wrong fluid. (that does not take into account the damage to the rear end itself - (OC-12) There are people that have contributed valuable suggestions based on their specific usage conditions. Good luck.

heino

I have been looking at a few threads on here as to oil choice but it would be good to know if I need to hook up this pump to prevent overheating/ and or premature wear of rear end. With a filter in line is that OC-12 going to last longer than just leaving it and letting particles settle to the bottom? Maybe its too active in there and the dirt is in suspension anyways. Pump must have been put there for a reason.

Sylvia Tunaskas

In the manual's diagram there is a filter in the system. It appears to be a closed system that draws fluid from a fitting on the lower part of the OC-12 and pumps it forward, through a cannister filter, to the front radiator type cooler and back to another fitting, with a check valve, on the lower part of the OC-12. It must be there for a reason. Depending on your usage and temperature range of operation I could not see a scenario that you would not want to use the cooling features for the OC-12. (the filter is a bonus) My system is similar and probably identical except for the hydraulics for the blade. ( this is a simplified explanation. It shows 44 parts for non hydraulic and 67 for hydraulic) My temperature gauge for the OC-12 rarely come off the bottom. I have had it come up a little when plowing and pushing deep wet snow for an extended period of time. Later.

heino

The damage is mostly instrument panel wiring, gauges, switches. Interior in front pretty crispy too. I would rather not post pics as the machine was a prop in a movie that has not been released.
I think i have the cooler as there are 2 in the grill in front of rad and I think 1 is the trans cooler so that would explain that.

heino

This should be ok....here is a picture of unit before it was 'dressed':

Attachments

• lmc 1200 DSC06236.jpg
    lmc 1200 DSC06236.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 474

heino

No, I think it is the first one; the headlight garnishes on that one are different...but basically the same machine.