• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Newspapers to sue internet forums over content posting

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck, I'm almost afraid to post anything newspaper related now:yum:

Thanks for your thoughts up there Brian! Interesting.
I'll toss one more thought out since you replied.

Besides articles, I wonder how many cartoons would fall in this same category. Don't STOP posting but "Toons for the times" theoretically could fall in the same category.

If they don't want their articles posted, keep them in paper form. If they put it out there, they need to expect it to be referenced when being discussed on a forum.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Besides articles, I wonder how many cartoons would fall in this same category. Don't STOP posting but "Toons for the times" theoretically could fall in the same category.

If they don't want their articles posted, keep them in paper form. If they put it out there, they need to expect it to be referenced when being discussed on a forum.

yikes!

I wonder if this is why you now have to buy a subscription to a lot of newspapers, even online now? Perhaps not.

The way I see it, this is the internet. Almost everything is accessible to share anywhere you blog or post.
Still, the concern is there about copyright infringement.

D

darroll

I tried to save a funny photo that was on the net.
The error code told me that it was copyrighted and kicked me back to the privious screen.
If they want to keep their stuff then use this format.
The attorneys can hitch-hike back to their office.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Being that several of my friends and immediate family members are attorneys, you'll never see any place, ever, where I've done anything but linked to the article. I was always told that avoids any copyright issues since you are directing people to the original article.

Gatorboy

What if the AP said nobody could use their reporting or re-publish their content? I think a lot of the media companies would suffer greatly. Look at the By lines of national/international news in your local paper. Many of the By lines show AP as their source (or having contributed to the article).

Newspapers PAY the AP for that service. They are not just stealing it.

Same goes for photos. If you didn't take the picture, or have a license for it's use, you can't copy it. I know there are many threads on this forum with images posted that have been stolen.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Same goes for photos. If you didn't take the picture, or have a license for it's use, you can't copy it. I know there are many threads on this forum with images posted that have been stolen.

What about the ones that say "share this?"
If you're talking about cartoons as in Toons For The Times.. there are at least 20 other sites that have the same usually.
I guess I should stop taking mine into paint and glossing over the artists names like I tend to do..

D

darroll

Where's an expert?
I don't know what to do either...
I don't think the photos should be altered.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Where's an expert?
I don't know what to do either...
I don't think the photos should be altered.
Needless to say Little Darroll, it's become a bit quieter around here since this ground breaking news about post content.
Will the forums ever be the same?
Will this slide by after a short amount of time?
Should we take it all that serious?
We are but one of thousands of forums who post direct, indirect or whatever content.
I'm not all that worried about it myself.