• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

two trees down and 1 1/2 half

working woman

Site Supporter
to go :clap:.

Didn't want to do it, but having to take all the trees down in my front yard. Two of the trees were River Birches with the other two trees right next to my house kept growing in my sewer system which was costing me a nice chunk of change with the plumber every spring. When he left this last time he said "See you in a year Lady" That was the final straw.

Luckily for me, some friends and I can take down 4 of the five. Was hoping to keep my huge oak tree. Found out today it is diseased and dying. Will have to pay somebody to deal with that one:( . Hope to finish the job this week!

Any body have any good suggestions as to what trees to plant next? Want to replace two. Defintley need the shade for my living room.
Some one suggested crab apple, but I dont know if I want to deal with the apple mess

Attachments

• 05-01-10_0952.jpg
    05-01-10_0952.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 05-01-10_1126.jpg
    05-01-10_1126.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 05-01-10_1214.jpg
    05-01-10_1214.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 39

loboloco

WW. you might want to look into leyland cypress. Evergreens and top out at about thirty feet. Gorgeous trees. Stay away from any water type tree as they will truly screw up the septic system. Not sure what grows well in that area, but if you can get it to live, a live oak is absolutely beautiful.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Stop by your local nursery and discuss new plantings with them. They are most familiar with your soil types and will make the best recommendation and guarantee the tree(s) for one year. What works for some of us may not work for you, so it's best to consult with a local expert whose business depends on your success for future referrals.

Lia

Banned
I would have to agree with JEV. Your best bet is to go to an expert, to help you decide; and believe me, there are a multitude of options for you. :smile:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
A good sized maple is a fast growing shade producer if you don't mind the leaves. They can be trimmed after a few years and come right back quickly. They don't go after septics as quick as other varieties.

Bamby

Japanese Maple's are small for sure but will probably actually be to small for your needs. But they are beautiful trees in the setting. There are ornamental crabs available that only produce real small insignificant "crab-apples" about the size of cherry pits (some disease problems with foliage late summer with these). There are also ornamental cherry trees also available that only bloom and produce nothing at all to deal with and make nice shade and produce pretty fall foliage. Then there is the standard crab-apple variety blooms beautifully, can supply abundant fruit (makes wonderful jelly) or mess in yard. If you have a local dear herd they'll make short work of cleaning up the fallen apples, and you'd no need to bother with them yourself (very bland fall foliage).

Our_Front_Yard.jpg

Tree on right standard crab, center right unknown, center left ornamental cherry, left ornamental crab-apple

Our_Front_Yard1.jpg

Right ornamental cherry (cherry not quite full bloom as taken), and crab.

And I agree with the others a good local nursery is the best choice for viable suggestions for your yard.