• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My tomato plants look like crap ??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Every thing else seems to be growing fine here in Panama . Heck ,even the plastic flowers got to be cut back once a week .

The tomato plants look like crap . Small and not growing . Gave them a shot of plant food this morning .
Maybe I should have never transplated them as the instructions told me to do .
They been gettin plenty water and sunshine ????????

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Every thing else seems to be growing fine here in Panama . Heck ,even the plastic flowers got to be cut back once a week .

The tomato plants look like crap . Small and not growing . Gave them a shot of plant food this morning .
Maybe I should have never transplated them as the instructions told me to do .
They been gettin plenty water and sunshine ????????
Try giving them some shade a few hours a day. Did you tickle the roots when you transplanted them?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably the rum and coke you've been giving them. ....just sayin ..... :D

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Probably the rum and coke you've been giving them. ....just sayin ..... :D

You might be on to something there ??? I know when I drink I feel bigger and badder than I really am .

D

darroll

Use high acid fertilizer for tomatoes.
It’s too damn cold in Oregon for tomatoes.
We still have winter here.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
We have what I call a "square foot garden," as it's only 8' x 10'. Still, I practice crop rotation, and move the tomatoes to the opposite side of the garden each year. Also, I'm not sure what kind of water you have at your place, but our tomatoes thrive when they get rain water (they don't seem to like damn city water with chlorine), and seem to get really perky when we have a good thunderstorm with lightning. Something in that combination excites the plants and perks them up. I also have pretty good drainage in my garden, and find the plants don't particularly like "wet feet." FWIW, I have never use commercial fertilizers my garden. I just bury as much as possible in the fall and let it rot naturally. That's my worthless two cents. YMMV

D

darroll

I planted some squash in my old tomato garden. (Planting bed)
Nothing will grow there.
Cukes won't sprout there either.
I spade it up each year...

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
We have what I call a "square foot garden," as it's only 8' x 10'. Still, I practice crop rotation, and move the tomatoes to the opposite side of the garden each year. Also, I'm not sure what kind of water you have at your place, but our tomatoes thrive when they get rain water (they don't seem to like damn city water with chlorine), and seem to get really perky when we have a good thunderstorm with lightning. Something in that combination excites the plants and perks them up. I also have pretty good drainage in my garden, and find the plants don't particularly like "wet feet." FWIW, I have never use commercial fertilizers my garden. I just bury as much as possible in the fall and let it rot naturally. That's my worthless two cents. YMMV

Yep, All we got is rain water . I can't move them to shade but maybe put a cover over them some times .

Thunder storms ??? Really ?? Hell my plants should be 12' tall based on that .

Thanks for all the input, guys

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, All we got is rain water . I can't move them to shade but maybe put a cover over them some times .

Thunder storms ??? Really ?? Hell my plants should be 12' tall based on that .

Thanks for all the input, guys
Last season my 4 tomato plants (2 Early girl and 2 Better Boy) were still growing above the 6' high stakes. it was a banner year, and those hybrids seem to thrive in NE Ohio.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My first planting ones are already 15" tall and we had to stake them and move them to 8" pots today. Damn things will be flowered before we get them set out. Second and third plantings are doing well also.

loboloco

Nitrate content and acidity are major factors for tomato plants. Not sure what the soil is like there so hard to tell you anything. I would try adding a little calcium nitrate to your liquid fertilizer.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm waiting for a back ordered soil analysis, but I'm pretty sure we're running very basic - tomatoes [and most most plants - on both points] still seem to thrive, in size anyway, rather than flavor.