• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tell me about Range Masters

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Father and Son I met in Alaska told me that Thiokol Range Masters were built for the Millitary, about 900, and had additional High Speed Gears. They had 2 of the machines. I'm not a thiokol expert. Does anyone know how technically correct this information is? The father & son team also indicated that Range Masters ran a more substaintial grouser. They liked them for hunting.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Range Masters were made for the Canadian military. 900 is correct. I do not believe they had a higher gear ratio than the 601. This impression could be had based on the relative high speed of a 601 in comparsion to some other snow machines. I have a couple and will be able to put this to the test down the road. However, I can without doubt confirm that the grouser point that they mentioned is incorrect. It is the same grouser as a standard 601... or at least it is the same design, external size, etc.. The only things that could have been varied are the grade/heat-treatment of steel and also the thickness. Yes, they could have varied other characteristics, but the external appearance is the same as that of a normal 601 grouser. My understanding was that the Canadian government wanted their own version... go figure... that appeared different, at least in name.
Another comment on the transmission... it is definitely only a 4-speed... granted, ratios could be different but like I said that can be examined/tested later on.
Hope this helps.
I think the father and son team should sell them to me...

K

kermit2

To be a true unbiased test, an unbiased judge should perform said test.

I volunteer.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the info. The father and son team had 2 machines that they hunted out of. They had made a trip to Utah to procure a used set of tracks.
They lived in Glenallen. The Alaska Pipeline runs thru Glenallen and I stayed there during various projects working on the Pipeline. In the fall, during hunting season it was "Track-Rig-Central". I saw more "hunting buggies" and track rigs there over the course of about 3 weeks than anywhere else. Alot of older, modified stuff, and some home-made, one of a kind stuff. I believe I counted 6 or 7 Army Weasels, of which all but one had modified tracks. It was 10 years ago and I made some pictures but would be hard pressed to find them. One set-up in perticular was noteable. Another Father & Son team had a pair of fairly large Nodwells. Both had elaborate campers built on them. One, had a set-up that folded off the back, that was a cutting table with a good sized sink. They had rigged up a heat exchanger to take heat off the engine cooling system to heat water. They had hot and cold running water and "The Kitchen Sink"!
I've been wonderig about "Range Masters" for 10 years, thanks again for filling in the holes.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's are a couple in the class of 'highly modified' that Boggie has posted.
As known, I hate to see this kind of thing happen to a 6-series but at the same time, these were very nicely done... I know the one rig without the cabin on the back was recently for sale for $45,000 (!).

Then there's one that's a little more 'old school'.

All are in Alaska used for hunting.

These are 601's. I will post a Rangemaster next.

Attachments

• 390463696207_0_BG.jpg
    390463696207_0_BG.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 245377794207_0_BG.jpg
    245377794207_0_BG.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 251
  • hunting2007_01.jpg
    hunting2007_01.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 245

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Rangemaster... 601 ..."Canadian Style"
I believe them to simply be rebadged as the 601 was also made for the US military and then the Canadians said: "OK guys, realize you dough-boys like tough rigs...but take that Air Force 601... and PIMP IT military style!"

Grousers look the same to me, backer bars braking off the same, same hubs, same sprockets, and the OC-15 ... well, it sure as hell ain't getting more beef-cake than what it already is given it goes into 40,000 lb rigs!

Attachments

• Rangemaster.jpg
    Rangemaster.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 252

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Here is the shift pattern out of one of my Rangemasters.
Also, the brass serial numbe tag?

It reads: Thiokol 601

As does this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0167_Sanitized.jpg
    IMG_0167_Sanitized.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 246

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
As known, I hate to see this kind of thing happen to a 6-series but at the same time, these were very nicely done... I know the one rig without the cabin on the back was recently for sale for $45,000 (!).

The grey/alum one has a Bombardier diff from a 252 and the 8 tooth (FN-15/FN20 )sprockets are for a Nodwell as is the 33" D-Dent grouser Bars

Mainer, Had not heard from you. so I almost contacted you next of kin to see if you put me in your will. would not want those 600 series going to someone that willnot care for them.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
... have been burried in work ....
Do I have any cats? I dunno... I never see them! But I need to get another soon...I haven't had a fix in a while ... staying in the background...not purusing or hunting... trying to be all generous and giving and what not. ;) Now we got them being picked up all over the place... I guess there's still the 4T10 pig on eBay!

Did you get the 602?

grizcty

Hello Mainer,

I see you have a photo of my ugly 601.

Have not posted here in a while.
Got very sick. But survived.
Then lost/crashed my computer.
Someone, finally sent a link to me.
So I have some reading to catch up on.

When my back feels better.
I will start my rig up, for the first time since Nov..
Still looking for new tires.