• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 2100b Tires

LittleWing

Hello, I have a Thiokol 2100 B that I am currently restoring. Not sure of the exact year. When we did the engine (391 ford) the date code on the bearings were 1977. so we are guessing 77 or 78. Some of the tires on it are in poor shape. Some are solid aluminum rims and some are 5 bolt rims. Is there a reason for the different rims? Also I noticed the tire size 5.30 x 12 is a standard trailer tire size. Could a guy buy heavy duty trailer tires from the local tire store and have them filled or will this not work.

Thanks TJ

70 something Thiokol 2100b
1969 Tucker 400A
1966 Bombardier

LittleWing

Here are a couple of pics of my Thiokol I am fixing up. The ones of the tires did not turn out very good but as you can kinda see the front tire is aluminum and the second one in is metal and has a 5 bolt pattern

Thanks TJ

Attachments

• 2100BMachine.jpg
    2100BMachine.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 383
  • 2100BTrack.jpg
    2100BTrack.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 381
It's pretty common to see aluminum rims on the front axel and steel ones behind those on the older Thiokols although I don't know if any came from the factory like that. I was told by the LMC salesman that sold me a 1200 years age that the aluminum rims were more durable than the steel but I have had both types fail on me before. Over the years they beefed up the aluminum ones as they tended to start cracking on the webbing near the hubs. I bought two new ones from the factory right before they went out of business and they had much thicker webbing and more meat around the hubs.

I know people have used standard trailer tires but I have always bought Good Year Monorails or snowcat tires from Fall Line in Reno. Foam filling is expensive so I figured spending a little extra on a quality tire was worth it.

mkntrakes

Trailer tires don't seam to hold up to the heaver machines like your 2100 i have had better luck with the alpine guide tires than the good year monorail ck with okner supply as well for competitive pricing

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I like the aluminum rims much better. They are alot stronger than the steel rims. Anything can fail if subjected to enough abuse. BUT the aluminum rims will take much more of a beating.

LittleWing

Thank for the input everyone. I really appreciate it. When I get my cat all done I will post some pics of it.

TJ