• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Recommended Oils?

tomelroy

I have read that the (Caterpillar TO-4 30 weight) is the best for the 0c-12 w/o aux hydraulics, but what about:

The drop boxes?
The NP435 4 speed?
Engine oil for ford 6 cylinder?

Sylvia Tunaskas

I have a 1986 LMC 1200 with an inline 6 Ford 300 cu. in., ford C-6 automatic transmission,
OC-12 rear end and a 10' hydraulic blade. I use Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 in the motor, Type F transmission fluid in the C-6, and NAPA part# 85-405 in the OC-12, and in the wheel bearings the red LP-2 (LB?) rated grease. The mechanic, from Peterson's, that covers the Northwest area said this would work well for my vehicle and the conditions in our area.(Cascade Mountains, 3500'-6000' elevation, -20 F to +45 F temperature variance (15-35 F most of time)

I think the drop boxes get their fluid from the OC-12. (they are part of it). I do not know the 4 speed specs. (I assume it is a manual transmission) Hope it helps.

tomelroy

ok,

so:
Engine : 10w40
oc-12: Caterpillar TO-4 30 weight
Drop Boxes: Caterpillar TO-4 30 weight

Auto Trans: Type F transmission fluid

How about the manual NP435 manual transmission? 80-90W? I have also seen 30w, 50w, or 75-90w, syn gear oil recommended. I have also read not to use gl-5, only gl-4. Which is best?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Not sure what is recommended with the NP435. Napa or any automitive store should have a list if recommended fluids. Go with the colder use weight fluids of course. Synthetics are always best.

cj7

No into the Snow Cats but ... as for trucks and jeeps

NP 435 tranny gets 80-90W

I synthetic will help with stiff shifting in the cold weather.