• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow camping Essentials

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You see these at burning man, maybe with roof support they could be adapted to
Freezing man.......

http://www.domerama.com/types-of-domes/hexayurts/hexayurt-construction/

or this
Polypod-completed-Small.jpg

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
For me one of the deciding factors is answering the question: Why?

I've "camped out" for 3 months in the arctic tending a portable USAF comm system. Our main tent looked a lot like Mike's base camp tent.

This last camp I did for a few days to do site surveys, I could come back to a warm base each day then venture out again, I had a few comfort things, but didn't overdo it.

If I was overnight only I think that it would be pared down even further.

While I like camping, I rarely "just go camping" usually there is a reason to be there. I do tend to enjoy myself when ever I'm out though.

mikemikelle

And to quote MNOutdoors:

Snow is very good insulation,a candle along with body heat will get the inside
Very comfortable. always leave a vent hole about 3” and if possible build a raised sleeping area at -30F in a small well built snow structure it can be above freezing inside. even warmer with a small heat source like a candle or fire heated rocks for the night.

I teach a mountaineering course, and one of our yearly requirements is a snow field trip, where students have to build a snow shelter and spend the night in it.

Very fun, can be very comfortable, but they are a HUGE amount of work! The trick is the elevated floor, has to be above the top of the door to trap the heat.

My secret method - The easy way to achieve this is to dig the hole in the snowbank (your "cave"), then use a snow saw to cut a foot well in the front floor (and keep the resulting snow blocks), then use those blocks to "igloo-in" the front wall...easy squeazy, saves a ton of work, and "glows" with daylight! The foot well makes it much more comfortable, too. Built in chair, on your warm bag and insulation pad, as seen in the "tent" photo (Note my immediate neighbors saw it, and copied, but all the other tents hadn't caught on until they visited)

2.10.14 032.jpgIMG_2670.jpgIMG_2669.jpgIMG_2668.jpg2.10.14 018.jpgDSC05899.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
when I was a kid in the Boy Scouts in the 1970"s to get a polar bear patch you had to sleep outside without shelter. We dug a holes in a snow drift worked the sleeping bag inside crawled in went to sleep and got the patch in the morning. As I remember it was not that bad.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
And to quote MNOutdoors:

I teach a mountaineering course, and one of our yearly requirements is a snow field trip, where students have to build a snow shelter and spend the night in it.

Very fun, can be very comfortable, but they are a HUGE amount of work! The trick is the elevated floor, has to be above the top of the door to trap the heat.

My secret method - The easy way to achieve this is to dig the hole in the snowbank (your "cave"), then use a snow saw to cut a foot well in the front floor (and keep the resulting snow blocks), then use those blocks to "igloo-in" the front wall...easy squeazy, saves a ton of work, and "glows" with daylight! The foot well makes it much more comfortable, too. Built in chair, on your warm bag and insulation pad, as seen in the "tent" photo (Note my immediate neighbors saw it, and copied, but all the other tents hadn't caught on until they visited)

View attachment 113136View attachment 113137View attachment 113138View attachment 113140View attachment 113139View attachment 113135

now I completely understand why you bought a Thiokol...

you are serious outdoor man

Last edited:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Winter Camping... Wow... my favorite... :)

Am I an expert at it, why yes...

Can I give some pointers... why not...

Could it be wrapped up in just few words... sure...

"there is no bad weather, there is just wrong gear/accessories!" (thats what I say)...

Now in a long format... I can make a separate post if you all want to try something out :)

I sure hope that McCall 2020 can happen and I'm hoping its possibly not the week of the February 23rd :)

vintagebike

McCallin’ All Cats 2020. Monday Feb 17- Thursday Feb 20... optional off the books Snow Camping Friday Feb 21- Sunday Feb 23. :bolt: McCall Crew

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
McCallin’ All Cats 2020. Monday Feb 17- Thursday Feb 20... optional off the books Snow Camping Friday Feb 21- Sunday Feb 23. :bolt: McCall Crew

Remind me, if there is a specific reason for the event to be on that week of February? or that month in general?

Just for my own info and in case anyone else is wondering! :)

vintagebike

Lots of things go into planning the event since early 2016 and “President’s Day Week” is the only time
the Earth, Moon, Sun and the stars align. Hope you can make it.:smile:

Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
isn't the area a groomed snowmobile area and camping is on the weekend?

vintagebike

With help from Valley County, we will get a super special permit. But more on that later when i get back to McCall hopefully next week.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
It would be a neat thing to have every method presented thus far at the camp out. That way everyone gets to see the relative merits, comforts, and efforts required. Just like there is no one purrrfect cat, there is no singular >one< way to best camp in the snow.

If I come, it will be to demonstrate the Arctic Oven tent...
CT

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Tom, you are cordially invited. Want to be a trail boss?
OHN!
If I can get there, it will be way back in the van, traveling packed snow trails and taking it easy. I may help direct parking, but that's about it. (memo to self: Leave orange hi-vis vest at home)

CT

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
what is permitted in this area that your looking at for camping?

thanks

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As for the dates... February 23rd is a holiday where I come from (former USSR), thus long ago, about 8 years now, I've taken on duty hosting a winter camp out at first for friends, now its for much more than that.

This year I got Steve (JimVT's son) to come by with their PistenBulley to add to the Frandee, which I used to break trail in this years huge snowpack.

Took us about 16hrs to travel 13 miles to the camp location due to the snowpack and snow conditions.

In any case, will be tough, but I will see what I can do.

May be get one of the locals to take the Frandee up to McCall at least, as I'll be running 1544 by February hopefully :)

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
this area that i'm thinking it is has a groomed trail for the snowmobiles and i'm pretty sure no wheeled rigs are allowed. I spent several minutes looking at the large groomer and talking to the operator on our last trip. they do have a large warming hut at the parking lot that the club built. it is very large with a good fireplace. a excellent place to camp but it is at the trail head and several miles from the meadow.
jim

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Thought this looked like it could solve a lot of cold weather camping issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190514-201047.jpg
    Screenshot_20190514-201047.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 114