Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Motorcycles & Accessories Forum

Old 09-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Thanked 8,306 Times in 3,455 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Mid 80's bike

Ahhh. The joys of owning an older bike. So the wife has never been on a bike before. I took her out and bought her a new helmet. The plan was to go for a ride out for supper then over to my weekly band practice.
The bike ran fine across town till we got to the restaurant. When we came out, I fired it up and as soon as I put it in gear it felt like the clutch war was slipping. We ride two blocks and now I barely have any clutch when I shift.
I unscrew the two screws holding the cover on the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch lever. The reservoir was nearly empty and now I had air in the lines. Crap.
So after band practice I get a lift to a garage to buy some brake fluid. I get back and fill the reservoir. Still nothing. No pressure. So I get a lift home to grab the durango and trailer. Got her loaded and back home.
Discovered this morning talking to a local bike shop that I have to reverse bleed the line going to the clutch lever. Now. Easy and cheap way to do this is to buy a larger syringe and some clear hose. Attach the hose to the syringe then suction out of the bottle new brake fluid making sure there's no air. Attach the end of the hose to the bleeder valve then loosen it. Remove the cover and baffle on the master cylinder reservoir and force new brake fluid up till there's no more air bubbles coming out. Tighten the valve and reinstall the master cylinder reservoir cover. Next. Remove the line going to thr reservoir. Its all good to go so make sure no air gets in. Place your thumb over the open hole on the master cylinder. Pump the clutch lever till oil forces tour thumb away. Hold the clutch lever halfway and reinstall the line. That did it. Clutch working perfectly now.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Just got back from a short ride. Only a couple degrees above freezing today. Bike is running great.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:34 PM
Bronze Member

Umberto is on a distinguished road

This was my 86 FXRS-S which I sold in Germany. I was going to upgrade to a Soft Tail but buying a house and putting 3 men through college changed that idea.

[IMG][/IMG]
NorthernRedneck (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 04:57 PM
member formerly known as dds

Thanked 1,037 Times in 642 Posts
Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
Just got back from a short ride. Only a couple degrees above freezing today. Bike is running great.

this will go along with all your krusty jokes you know the difference between a Harley and a hoover?
you can only get one dirt bag on a hoover.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowtrac Nome For This Useful Post:
NorthernRedneck (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

:p
Old 04-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

That didn't last long. I have the bike for sale. Looking at upgrading to a touring bike so the wife and I will be more comfortable. Have my eye on a Yamaha venture about the same age.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Here's what im looking at. Hopefully I can sell mine quickly.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Cancel the touring bike. The missus has decided to get her license as well so I found a nice bike for her to learn on. It's an '84 Honda v30 magna. In good shape for the year. Basically the smaller sibling to my '84 magna v45.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Just for comparison purposes I went out to the garage to take a picture of the v45 in order to compare with the v30. First thing I do to the v30 after getting it home will be to remove those butt ugly mirrors that stick up 2 ft in the air and replace them with something a little more appealing to the eyes. Of course a good cleaning will be in order for it. Overall its in just as good of shape if not better than mine. Runs like a top. Shifts smooth. Im surprised at the amount of power coming out of that 500cc engine. I had an '85 Honda nighthawk 450 before and it had nowhere near the same performance as this bike. This 500 should be comparable to the 750 seeing as its a bit lighter.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

My bike was kinda lonely in the garage so I found him a mate. She cleaned up nicely.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

After riding the v30 for a bit then jumping back on the v45 and going for a cruise, I can honestly say I prefer the smaller v30 over mine. Less engine power on the v30 is only noticeable on the highway but it will hold its own at normal highway speeds. THe main reason I prefer the smaller bike is the seat. It sits higher and further back which is nice when you're 6'3". So I found an ad on the local classifieds online for a lady who can recover motorcycle seats and rework the foam. I dropped off the seat on the v45 to be redone. She's going to raise the driver seat foam about an inch and sculpt it to allow a seating position an inch back. I couldn't justify the cost of a corbin seat for an old honda. This seat should be more comfortable when I get it back.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Kind of hard to tell when looking at the drivers seat but it now has an extra 1.5" of foam added to the flat part and over an inch removed from the angle rising up to the passenger seat. Overall I'm happy with the results. Seems like a much more comfortable seating position. The lady was able to reuse the same material to cover the seat which saved some time and money.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 1,104 Times in 600 Posts
Kane will become famous soon enoughKane will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
$1000. Only 35k kms on her. Barely broke in.
A little over 20K miles on an '84? WOW! Sounds too good to be true. Nice find.

But after all I suppose, you do live in Canada ... not much time to ride bikes during the year.

Last edited by Kane; 04-23-2015 at 08:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kane For This Useful Post:
NorthernRedneck (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Yes. Both bikes have less then 35K kms on them. Depending on weather our riding season runs from mid april to mid october so roughly 6 months. I find that up here you either find very low mileage bikes that people jut have had sitting in their garage for years without using them or the guys are diehard and have well over 100k km on them. I lucked out on this bike. I was looking at one a year newer but exactly the same model. It was in worse shape and they wanted twice as much as I paid for this one. I can't wait to take it for a good ride now that I had the seat reworked to make the seating position more comfortable for me.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 1,104 Times in 600 Posts
Kane will become famous soon enoughKane will become famous soon enough

After 30 years, regardless of the odometer, the bike would probably love to have all of her fluids drained and replaced before she hits the road. Yum.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Oh. Trust me. Both bikes got the full lube treatment.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I decided this week that the v45 is just too small of a bike for me framewise. I decided to put her up for sale on kijiji and start looking for a touring bike. I orignally had my heart set on a mid 80's yamaha venture and found a couple I liked but after doing some research and talking to the sellers, I decided against it as the ones I was looking at were the early series which were prone to second gear failure. I was close to heading out yesterday to pick one up but after talking to the guy he informed me that the transmission was missing second gear. I quickly changed my mind. Within 20 minutes of making that decision, I received a reply for the ad I had placed to sell mine. A local guy has a 1983 honda goldwing gl1100 he wants to trade me. I went to look at it and the mechanics are all there. It's in decent shape for the age and basically needs a new front tire and some general TLC to make it good again. I decided on the trade. Going tomorrow afternoon to pick it up. It's going to need the brakes bled and a new front tire for safety as far as I can tell.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Got the new/old girl home yesterday and have her half torn down in the garage. Ordered some parts for her already including a new choke cable, air and oil filters etc. She's looking good and running strong. One item on the list to be repaired is the passenger back. The material itself is alright for the age but the meta backing plate is completely rusted away. I'm going to have to fab up something new to hold the foam and leather. Overall she's in better shape than my old goldwing.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a picture of my first goldwing after fixing her up. She was a true definition of a pig with lipstick. Had a fresh coat of paint on her so I was told. In reality it looked my like a five year old painted it with a spray can in the back yard. I had to replace the complete exhaust system. After 5k miles the engine blew so I had to search for a replacement. Basically tear down the bike to the bare frame to remove the engine. Once I got her reliable again she was alright.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

So I basically had the goldwing torn down to the frame and engine over the past couple weeks giving it a good once over. The more I dig into this bike the more impressed I am. She had new brakes front and back but the lines were full of air. I got the brakes bled and they work great now. The guy I got it from said the previous owner told him it needed new front fork seals. He didn't know much about bikes apparently. So I used that to my advantage as a bargaining tool. Upon closer inspection in the luggage compartments, I found the old fork seals in a bag. Turns out all she needs for a safety is the front tire which I got done today. The dealership mixed up when they mounted it though and mounted the rim backwards as the new tire is directional. Not a huge deal. I was excited to take her for her maiden voyage so I installed the tire anyways just to try it out. I was very happy with the overall performance of that bike seeing as it is an '83. The engine runs smooth and the tranny shifts perfectly throughout the gears. Front and back brakes are good now. I'm going to run it for a bit then bleed the brakes again. All the lights work. This one has no stereo though so I ordered a simple cheap radio and speaker setup that mounts to the handlebars. It also has inputs for an mp3 player etc. I figured that while I'm at it I might as well install a 12v/usb adapter combo plug in on the dash in order to charge the cell phone as I'm driving. I'd have no problem jumping on and riding on a long cruise with it.

The front tire is now off again so I can bring it to the dealership to have it mounted the right way.

One of the reported problems over the years on the goldwings is a poor charging system. This bike already has a volt meter installed. There is a noticeable drop in volts when I turn on the rear lights. I will be swapping out all of the lights on the lower and upper rear bars for LED lights. $17.95 for a pack of 15 of them on ebay so I'll give it a shot to see if that reduces the draw on the charging system.

Digging further into the mess of parts that filled the saddle bags, I found several "notes" from previous owners indicating some of the maintenance that the bike has had over the years. This was a pleasant surprise since another problem on these old wings is the starters go over time. I found a note saying the starter was changed in 2008.