• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What is so great about Harley Davidson?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I got a call from my VP this afternoon. He was on his way to the airport to go on MY trip to Washington (yes, I still have that damn kidney stone and today I am miserable). He stopped off at the H.D. dealer and bought a 2006 Fatboy, all black. He picks it up Saturday. Not sure when he is telling his wife. I'm thinking he may not want to tell her tonight, it is supposed to rain/snow here before he gets back into town and he may find a wet/frozen pile of his clothes in the yard.

HGM

RoadKing said:
Sorry if my pics aren't ok. I'm a mac guy but I do my internet roaming with a sony laptop and don't know the machine well.
I couldn't post a pic at all for a long time then I found a freeware program called resize that is simple enough for my PC/peabrain to grasp let me try my last photo on medium & small and tell me what is best for those viewing

No problem at all... I was just curious if it was my computer or not.. For whatever reason my home PC showed larger than my laptop. Either of the latest fit better, but of course, the bigger pictures have more detail..:cool2: Again, not a problem, I was just trying to figure out why it changed all of the sudden.. Thanks.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Road King, cool pics. What kind of motor is that?????? :confused:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Marketing

elsmitro said:
If I ever spend this kind of $ on a bike I would like to get a Bourget. I have liked those ever since I saw the build off on the discovery channel. I will probably stick with ridding in the dirt though. I have tried the streets and there are just to many people that don’t look out for bike riders. Maybe thats why the HD riders are so loud; they want you to know they are there so you don't run into them. I too think the HD riders are all about the camaraderie and style points.

http://www.bourgetmotorcycles.com/pages/bike-image-pages/usedbikes-pages/2001lowblow.htm

Wow!!!! Very nice! I bet those cost a fortune! :eek:

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Doc said:
Road King, cool pics. What kind of motor is that?????? :confused:

JRL Cycles is currently building what is probably the first radial motor chopper. One of the largest air-cooled motors ever to power a motorcycle the 7-cylinder radial is the same type used to power aircraft during World War II and is believed to be the basis for the V-twin motorcycle motor. This motorcycle is all new and is available in a chopper exclusively through JRL CYCLES LLC

I don't know what it costs, all I know is that I can't afford it.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Big Dog said:
As soon as the management team bought the company they designed the evo engine.....Harley's savior.

Sorry 'Dog. The Evo was on the design table as one of the last AMF projects. It didn't go into production untill after the ownership change.

You are correct that is was H-D's savior, though.

russellmn

that radial engine would be a pita. It looks cool, but you have to run them through a full revolution before you start them because oil and fuel puddle in the lower cylinders.
Stupid power though, that thing would be rediculously fast/quick.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
RoadKing said:
The suziki GT 550 a 2 cycle 3 cylinder that didn't sell because nobody wanted a 2cycle road bike best handler I ever owned.
...Any suggestions for places to see are welcomed.

Stop by central Michigan and I'll give you a great deal on my '71 GT550.
:rolleyes:

chopperguy

The only solution is a Harley Custom Evolution w/a suicide clutch and jocky shift,3" open belt,kick start only 4 spd. Cow Pie tranny and a Cat Squasher front end with mini apes.Now with newly fresh hand painted lettering.:my2cents: :cool2:

Attachments

• Jul19428.JPG
    Jul19428.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Jul19430.JPG
    Jul19430.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Jul26438.JPG
    Jul26438.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Jul26439.JPG
    Jul26439.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 234

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Horse, A Chicken & A Harley

On the farm lived a chicken and a horse, both of whom loved to play together.

One day the two were playing, when the horse fell into a bog and began to sink.

Scared for his life, the horse whinnied for the chicken to go get the farmer for help!

Off the chicken ran, back to the farm. Arriving at the farm, he searched and searched for the farmer, but to no avail, for he had gone to town with the only tractor.

Running around, the chicken spied the farmer's new Harley.

Finding the keys in the ignition, the chicken sped off with a length of rope hoping he still had time to save his friend's life.

Back at the bog, the horse was surprised, but happy, to see the chicken arrive on the shiny Harley, and he managed to get a hold of the loop of rope the chicken tossed to him.

After tying the other end to the rear bumper of the farmer's bike, the chicken then drove slowly forward and, with the aid of the powerful bike, rescued the horse!

Happy and proud, the chicken rode the Harley back to the farmhouse, and the farmer was none the wiser when he returned.

The friendship between the two animals was cemented: Best Buddies, Best Pals.

A few weeks later, the chicken fell into a mud pit, and soon, he too, began to sink and cried out to the horse to save his life!

The horse thought a moment, walked over, and straddled the large puddle.

Looking underneath, he told the chicke n to grab his hangy-down thing and he would then lift him out of the pit

The chicken got a good grip, and the horse pulled him up and out, saving his life.

The moral of the story? (yep, you betcha, there IS a moral!)

"When You're Hung Like A Horse, You Don't Need A Harley To Pick Up Chicks"​

TravisM.1

If you like nostalgia, Harleys are great. As far as performance, you'll put a pile of money into one before it starts to approach a modern Japanese motorcycle.

A buddy of mine bought a brand-new '06 1200 Sportster last year. He's put the "Screaming Eagle" kit on it (carb re-jet, exhaust, air filter), and it doesn't hold a candle to my 750 Katana (equipped with nothing more than a jet kit). We've traded bikes for a ride a couple of times, and he says the same thing every time he gets off of my bike. He looks at his bike, looks at my bike, shakes his head and says, "Sonofabitch".

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you like nostalgia, Harleys are great. As far as performance, you'll put a pile of money into one before it starts to approach a modern Japanese motorcycle.

A buddy of mine bought a brand-new '06 1200 Sportster last year. He's put the "Screaming Eagle" kit on it (carb re-jet, exhaust, air filter), and it doesn't hold a candle to my 750 Katana (equipped with nothing more than a jet kit). We've traded bikes for a ride a couple of times, and he says the same thing every time he gets off of my bike. He looks at his bike, looks at my bike, shakes his head and says, "Sonofabitch".

Your buddy didn't reference his purchase well enough. The sportster was never meant to compete with a bike like yours.

JimR

Charter Member
Someone mentioned that they saw a T-shirt that read riding a Jap bike was like F---in a Fag or something to that effect. I would like to say that I know more non motorcycle people that hate Harleys over any other motorcycle on the road because of the loud exhaust and the stupid things the riders do with them. I can and will explain those things I speak of if anyone would really like to know. First off you can't compare a crotch rocket or everyday Jap bike to a Harley. The Harley is twice the price. Compare your Harley to a Goldwing or BMW and you have another thing coming. I'll take a Goldwing over a Harley any day. I have never seen a Goldwing sitting on the side of the road broken down. I can't begin to remember how many Harleys I have seen sitting on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed to pick them up. I've mentioned this once before on here about my brother's 2001 Road King. He now claims that it finally runs the way it should. It's only been six years and about three tear downs, piston/jug changes, cams, carbs you name it. The stock seat is a piece of crap that will kill you and the rider within a short period of time. His words and his wife's words by the way. A stock Harley can't get out of its own way. You need to put loud or performance exhaust on them, jet the carbs, high performance camshafts, bigger pistons and jugs, gear drive cams and on and on. By the time your done adding chrome and engine mods you will have spent another $10-15K on your $20K motorcycle. A Goldwing will run you just under $20k and you will easily get 100K out of it without doing a thing other than general maintainance. That is why I ride a Goldwing. The best part is I bought my 1994 used this year with 30K on it for $4500.00. Try to buy a nice looking used Harley for that kind of money. You might be able to buy the frame, wheels and tires for that. My brother just told me the other day that the market is flooded with used Harleys and the prices will have to come down to move them. I'd be happy to run the quarter mile against a fully loaded stock Harley. I also need to add that a Harley IS a Macho thing as mentioned in an earlier post. It is just like owning a Ford F350 Super Duty if you had no use for it other than to drive back and forth to work with it. It is a very expensive status symbol.

Attachments

• 1994GL15003.jpg
    1994GL15003.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
I have ridden just about every brand of motorcycle available in the USA. I got my first Harley in 1965. It was a 1948 pan head. I cant tell you what it is about riding a Harley that infects you with admiration for the old iron. I am currently riding a 1982 FLH. I dont want anything newer than the Shovel Head Harleys which were last made in 1984. The new Harleys are too much like Japanese bikes with no soul in them. They are faster and leak free but they do nothing for me. I will keep my old hog forever. As for being made in the USA, that is a fallacy. For example the electronics, forks, shocks, and carbs are Japanese. If I remember right the pistons used to come from Italy. The Harley dealerships are nothing more than style shops. They sell all the latest Tshirts and jewelry. The riders of the newer ones probably have no idea of how to keep them running. They just throw money at them and make them shine. Have a goodun!!!!

JimR

Charter Member
Howdy,
I have ridden just about every brand of motorcycle available in the USA. I got my first Harley in 1965. It was a 1948 pan head. I cant tell you what it is about riding a Harley that infects you with admiration for the old iron. I am currently riding a 1982 FLH. I dont want anything newer than the Shovel Head Harleys which were last made in 1984. The new Harleys are too much like Japanese bikes with no soul in them. They are faster and leak free but they do nothing for me. I will keep my old hog forever. As for being made in the USA, that is a fallacy. For example the electronics, forks, shocks, and carbs are Japanese. If I remember right the pistons used to come from Italy. The Harley dealerships are nothing more than style shops. They sell all the latest Tshirts and jewelry. The riders of the newer ones probably have no idea of how to keep them running. They just throw money at them and make them shine. Have a goodun!!!!

One of my cousins down in Florida feels the same way. He rides an older 70's Superglide, has a restored 38 that has won many trophys and just bought a 45 to restore.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
heck, everybody knows that real Harleys have Iron Cylinders. The semi Harleys have aluminum, Hondaesq cylinders. Have a goodun!!!

JimR

Charter Member
Howdy,
heck, everybody knows that real Harleys have Iron Cylinders. The semi Harleys have aluminum, Hondaesq cylinders. Have a goodun!!!

I always thought it was that real Harleys always marked their spot before the left anywhere.

A few years back I took a 13 week computer course. Oe day I rode my Goldwing to it. It was a bit cool that day at about 50 degrees. At lunchtime I went outside and there was a small puddle of rice under my Goldwing. Back in class someone asked if my bike was having lunch. I turned to the Harley owner and asked where his bike was. His reply was "It's in the shop getting fixed" :yum: :yum: :yum:

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, real Harleys dont go to the shop. They should be repaired in the home garage with a crescent wrench and a screw driver. The Harley shops probably cant work on my old scooter. They carry very few parts for them too. Just like the old Model A Fords, the old Harleys are owner friendly for maintaince and repair. Have a goodun!!!!

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
the more that I think about it, I have a lot in common with my old Harley. Specifically occasionally we both dribble a little on the floor. Have a goodun!!!