Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Motorcycles & Accessories Forum

Old 10-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Bronze Member

HGM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is so great about Harley Davidson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioTC18
Direct from H-D's website...........
Harley-Davidson successfully petitions the International Trade Commission (ITC) for tariff relief, which is granted April 1, 1983. The tariff, scheduled to end five years later, is placed on all imported Japanese motorcycles 700cc or larger as a response to Japanese motorcycle manufacturers stockpiling inventories of unsold motorcycles in the United States.
I wasnt aware of that, sort of to even the playing feild I guess..

Quote:
That said, a question for you HD drivers. Why so fuc*ing loud?!!!!

Love those guys that come up behind you driving HD's and they have to rev their engine that seems like they are sreaming "look at me, I'm on a bad ass Harley". Just don't get it. Have a guy in town that usually drives by the house on weekend nights. I swear, you can hear him 100 yards away. Great bike, just too many people that drive them that think the louder they are the more "bad ass" they are.
I've asked the same thing... I like a promenant rumble, like only a Harley can produce.. But, the drag pipes and the unrelenting over reving bugs me too.. The issue is more that it makes the whole motorcycling comunity look bad.. I do agree that some sound pretty good, but there is such a thing as too loud and obnoxious.. The idea that most go with is "loud pipes save lives".. I do agree with that to a degree as well and have experienced it myself while riding.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

Cityboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGM

I've asked the same thing... I like a promenant rumble, like only a Harley can produce.. But, the drag pipes and the unrelenting over reving bugs me too.. The issue is more that it makes the whole motorcycling comunity look bad.. I do agree that some sound pretty good, but there is such a thing as too loud and obnoxious.. The idea that most go with is "loud pipes save lives".. I do agree with that to a degree as well and have experienced it myself while riding.
Kind of like those Dodge Cummins pick-up owners that idle constantly while fueling up, or going into Walmart. Yup, actually seen it happen more than once. "Hey look at me! I got a Cummins!" Maybe they wanna be a trucker when they grow up? Always makes me chuckle.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityboy
Kind of like those Dodge Cummins pick-up owners that idle constantly while fueling up, or going into Walmart. Yup, actually seen it happen more than once. "Hey look at me! I got a Cummins!" Maybe they wanna be a trucker when they grow up? Always makes me chuckle.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Unemployed Veg. Peddler

REDDOGTWO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Skurka
My exec V.P. wants to buy a motorcycle. Not just any motorcycle, he has a specific H.D. picked out, I honestly cannot remember what model it is, maybe a fatboy? He is adamant about buying an American made cycle.

I suggested he might want to look at Victory or Indian. He ruled them out without consideration. He just wants a H.D.

So beyond scooters, I know nothing

So what is so good about H.D., is it just the name, or the look, or the quality or the brotherhood, or what?

Here are a couple differnet Indian photos (Chief & Spirit) and a Victory (Kingpin). They all look good to me too. Is there something wrong with these brands?
If I have to explain it, you would not understand.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Unemployed Veg. Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioTC18
Direct from H-D's website...........

On February 26, thirteen Harley-Davidson senior executives sign a letter of intent to purchase Harley-Davidson Motor Company from AMF. By mid-June, the buyback is official, and the phrase "The Eagle Soars Alone" becomes a rallying cry.

Harley-Davidson successfully petitions the International Trade Commission (ITC) for tariff relief, which is granted April 1, 1983. The tariff, scheduled to end five years later, is placed on all imported Japanese motorcycles 700cc or larger as a response to Japanese motorcycle manufacturers stockpiling inventories of unsold motorcycles in the United States.
Harley-Davidson also petitioned the International Trade Commission to have the tariff lifted a year earlier than the time period for which it was orgianlly granted.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Unemployed Veg. Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneheadNW
Before getting married, I owned a couple of Suzukis (known as "rice burners" to the HD riders). One of these bikes was basically a stock 750, but was extrememly light and powerful, which made it very fast and great handling, although it was not the most comfortable thing to ride for more than a couple of hours at a time. HD riders looked down on us because their bikes (more like cars on 2 wheels) were what ours was not: big, heavy, expensive, and made from a company that would not exist unless the U.S. govt bailed them out from going bankrupt.

Can you tell how I feel about HDs? No offense BD.
Bonehead
To the best of my knowledge, the U.S. government did not bail out the Harley-Davidson company. Harley-Davidson requested relief from the dumping of Jap motorcycles on the domestic market from the ITC, a surcharge was put on the imported motorcylces of app 700CC and up, the surcharge was to last five years, HD petitioned to have the surcharge lifted a year earlier than when it was supposed to end. In response to the surcharge, a lot of models that were 750CC came out with an engine that was 697cc's.

An example of this dumping of motorcycles on the US market is the Yamaha 550 Maxim. In 1983 this model retailed for about $2999, but there was an extreme number of non current models in the US pipline from Yamaha's attempt to gain the number one spot from Honda. Thousands of 1982 550 Maxims were sold in the $1500 price range.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

daedong is an unknown quantity at this point

HD wheels are made here in my state, that is why they are good http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/busin...8/s1727582.htm
Old 10-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

BoneheadNW is on a distinguished road

Oh My God! Part of an HD made in Australia! The icon of U.S. motorcycles has wheels made by Aussies. What is this world coming to? The next thing you know, we will find out that some parts come from China. Now THAT would really be funny.
Bonehead
Old 10-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Large Member

Big Dog has a spectacular aura aboutBig Dog has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneheadNW
Oh My God! Part of an HD made in Australia! The icon of U.S. motorcycles has wheels made by Aussies. What is this world coming to? The next thing you know, we will find out that some parts come from China. Now THAT would really be funny.
Bonehead
Their frontends are made in Japan BH...............

"No law ever prevented a crime" ...........

The MLR (Men's Locker Room) is now open! PM Big Dog for access ....

Old 10-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Unemployed Veg. Peddler

About ten years ago, seven percent of the motorcycle was imported from other countries. I do not know if that was number of componets or dollar wise.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

RoadKing is on a distinguished road

I bought my first bike in 1969, a brand spankin new HD Electraglide for $2,400.00 Learned to ride on it, always loved that
bike. Since then I've owned Suzuki, Yamaha, 2 Gold Wings and now back to HD 2002 Road King. All were great machines. The suziki GT 550 a 2 cycle 3 cylinder that didn't sell because nobody wanted a 2cycle road bike best handler I ever owned. The Yamaha just a good allaround bike. For over the road touring nothing beats the Gold Wing, comfort, handling and performance. My current ride I can best explain it this way, as far as looks and style it's almost an identical match to my '69 Electraglide ( brings me back) I don't see me ever doing 600 to 800 mile days anymore, don't need the Gold Wing. For the riding I do now plus just the plain fun I like my Road King. I explained it this way to a local Honda dealer last summer " the harley is just more fun, ten Gold Wings drive by, nobody cares. Ten Harleys go by everybody looks." I don't have that many riding years left so I'm just going to enjoy.

Next year I'm planning my last big trip ( my memory trip )
I want to trailer my bike ( I don't enjoy Massachusetts, Connecticut & New York highways ) to Joliet Illinois and ride what's left of Rte 66 to California. Any suggestions for places to see are welcomed.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Large Member

Big Dog has a spectacular aura aboutBig Dog has a spectacular aura about

I wore a tire out in 2 1/2 weeks 3 years ago on my Harley with 94,000 miles on it. Three of us did 7000 miles, 18 states...........PA to the west coast, highway 1, Seattle, Rockies, Sturgis then home. We were in Steamboat Springs Colorado in 2 days........Did Des Moines to PA on the last day...........889miles. Just bragging..............
Attached Images

"No law ever prevented a crime" ...........

The MLR (Men's Locker Room) is now open! PM Big Dog for access ....

Old 10-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog
Just bragging..............
My turn

1. Boy's trip to Gettysburg July '06 This is my friend tom, I'm behind the lens, It's where I've been told I belong.

I took this trip to see if I could still ride a decent distance in a day.
I hadn't ridden in about ten years ( no money=no bike) so when I mounted up again in '02 I was curious to see if I could still do it.
We did 500 miles on a 95 degree day thru Mass. & Conn. wasn't really an enjoyable day but now I know I still have enough to do the Rte 66 trip.
Attached Images

Last edited by RoadKing; 10-23-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

2. Sturgis with the wife Sept. '06
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 8,806 Times in 3,580 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about

OK guys, I'm just curious here.

I do understand that Indian and Victory are NOT up to par with H.D., but then where to do the custom cycles fall in the pecking order of motorcycles? If H.D. in the top production bike, is it still held in higher esteem than the bikes made by Jesse James at West Coast Choppers, Iron Horse or the Orange County Chopper guys or any of the dozen of other premier custom & Semi Customer bike makers?

Or are the custom/semi-custom bikes set aside in a different category, sort of like the custom hot rods are treated as special vehicles but not really taken seriously because they are a small % of the total vehicle world?
Attached Images

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 10-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Skurka
OK guys, I'm just curious here.

I do understand that Indian and Victory are NOT up to par with H.D., but then where to do the custom cycles fall in the pecking order of motorcycles? If H.D. in the top production bike, is it still held in higher esteem than the bikes made by Jesse James at West Coast Choppers, Iron Horse or the Orange County Chopper guys or any of the dozen of other premier custom & Semi Customer bike makers?

Or are the custom/semi-custom bikes set aside in a different category, sort of like the custom hot rods are treated as special vehicles but not really taken seriously because they are a small % of the total vehicle world?

I don't necessarily agree that HD is better than Victory and Indian. I would put HD here, A high quality bike with a price range of $7000 - $25000 this allows for a lot of buyers add to this the PR, the "Harley Mystique", the name recognition, a worldwide dealer network and a pretty damn good bike. Victory is made by polaris, good company but just breaking into the MC market. Indian is a very unique look which cuts way down on mass appeal. HD offers many models for many tastes.
As far as the custom builders there are many but they are very expensive and offer few ammenities other than cosmetics also very little service, not a good thing if you want to put some serious miles down. The pic you put up from OCC for example is a hardtail ( no rear suspension ) I wouldn't own one unless it was a second bike for showing off on Sunday drives. I've been riding since 1969. I rode with guys in the 70s who rode hardtail choppers, a few that I still see, can't ride any bike at all because their spine is shot. I've ridden choppers on occasion a lot of fun but a fair sized pothole can drop you or at the least rattle you from your butt to the back of your head. The foreign machines are very good, if you read my previous post I stated that the Honda Gold Wing is probably the best engineered, smoothest riding and best handling motorcycle built today. A 50 year old would love it a twenty year old probably not (generally speaking).

To best answer your specific question is if you get one each of the folowing, Ferrari, Blackwood PU, top line Mercedez sedan & sport model, Hummer 1, Caddilac, Corvette, these are all autos but you could find someone to pick one over the other and think theirs is the best. To each his own, I'm a Chevy man myself.

This is about the best I can do to answer your question. I'll only add one thing, why I ride, when I'm on my bike I have to pay full attention to what I'm doing. I have to drive my MC with my whole body two hands, two feet and full attention. I can only do this by putting everything else out of my mind work, family, things to do, tomorrow, yesterday, etc. By doing this I can truly relax, clear my brain and I guess 'reset the breakers'. The plus is on a bike the scenery changes it's like instead of looking at and enjoying beautiful painting, the artist painted you in it.

There's my 2 cents maybe 3. Also there is something to be said for marketing.
Attached Images

Last edited by RoadKing; 10-23-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Bronze Member

Good answer RK.. I agree..

As far as craftsmanship I, personally, dont think it gets any better than Jesse James(West Coast Choppers)... I've been to rallies and seen allot of their bikes up close, OCC(for example) isnt even marginal in my opinion.. They are very crude and, well, I dont think they would be in bussiness if their disfunctional reality show didnt exist.. While WCC also got their brake from Jesse James Discovery specials, which gave them world wide recognition, the shows are about the art.. No drama, no BS, just pure workmanship.. There are others, Indian Larry was very talented, Eddie Tratta another, Arlen Ness, the list could surely go on, but its a niche.. They are works of art and some more ridable than others, but in a nutshell, they could never compete with a Harley Davidson, Honda, Yamaha, etc. because its just a "niche" like the Ford GT or any other exotic $150-600,000 car..
Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Bronze Member

Kubota King is on a distinguished road

Nice pics to all of you
Old 10-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

BoneheadNW is on a distinguished road

Great post RoadKing! I have one question for you: What is with the tassle-type thingies I see coming off the end of the handlebars on some HD motorcycles? Don't those things whip around and whack you in the arms? Do people have them for the looks?
Bonehead
Old 10-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Like a bad penny...

Dargo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing
I would put HD here, A high quality bike with a price range of $7000 - $25000 this allows for a lot of buyers add to this the PR, the "Harley Mystique", the name recognition, a worldwide dealer network and a pretty damn good bike....Also there is something to be said for marketing.
I've had several in the past and now have a Super Glide. Having said that, I'll buck the trend and have to rather strongly disagree with saying that they are a "quality" bike or even a "damn good bike". I've probably had 8 or 10 of them and I'd say that the newer bikes are far better than the earlier generations. However, under no circumstances would I ever consider putting "Harley" and "quality" in the same sentence. From the bikes I've owned and those owned by personal friends, the above comments are based on personal knowledge of a couple hundred bikes. When I take into consideration the actuarial statistics on their repairs it looks far worse.

So, with over 30 years experience and professional actuarial statistics, I'd have to say it's completely the "cool" factor and chalk it up to a fantastic marketing job by Harley. Quality build wise, technology wise, and reliability wise, there are not many worse. However, as long as the "cool" factor is still there, they seem to hold a better resale value than most any other brand. You can go to far though. One guy who was at the meeting with me on Grand Cayman has almost $50k in his Harley after all his chrome and other "stuff". I'd assume that he will take a huge hit when he sells it, but he can afford it. Heck, he has his Harley for when he rides around with his friends locally, but when he takes his wife out on longer rides he takes one of those Japanese made bikes that just look like a Harley.

Oh yeah, I've never seen such a good marketing job on the accessories as well. It seems mandatory that every Harley owner needs to spend a few thousand bucks at their local Harley shop on not only Harley chrome, but on Harley clothing as well. I'm dead serious when I say that the guy who has the bike with all the chrome also gets several temporary tattoos and even wears a long hair wig when he goes to Sturgis. Even though I own one, I just can't get into spending thousands on their clothing nor feel the need to get covered with tattoos, grow long hair and stop shaving. But, to their credit, the hard core Harley riders don't seem to discriminate against those who ride a Harley but don't go for the complete look.