Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Motorcycles & Accessories Forum

Old 05-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

SShepherd will become famous soon enoughSShepherd will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anybody have a Yamaha VMAX motorcycle?

quite a wild ride you have !

Wish I would have seen this sooner, I would have suggested the Diavel from Ducati.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/diavel/index.do

I wanted one...........but there's no place on it for a passenger
Old 05-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Mr Lovable

Thanked 14,031 Times in 5,055 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
I suppose that's why they make more than one color.
As we said when I sold used cars (on weekends) a million years ago. There's a seat for every ass and an ass for every seat.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Like a bad penny...

Dargo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShepherd View Post
quite a wild ride you have !

Wish I would have seen this sooner, I would have suggested the Diavel from Ducati.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/diavel/index.do

I wanted one...........but there's no place on it for a passenger
That looks really nice, but there just aren't any dealers in my area. I really liked the BMW bikes I rode, but they were relatively slow IMHO. I thought about it last night, and after my dad put the Vance & Hines pipes on our Harley Heritage, I've never ridden it. As opposed to most Harley owners, I think open pipes on a Harley make them sound like a mid 70's Briggs lawn mower that needs a muffler and a tune up. I just really dislike that sound. All I can think of is "loud", "slow" and someone changing their entire wardrobe to Harley propaganda. I own no clothing that says Harley on it. I was given a vest once for Christmas but took it back. Our local Harley shop is one of the largest around, Bud's Harley, and it's about 80% merchandise and 20% bikes. I'm just not going to get all tattooed up, always wear leather with fringe and ALWAYS wear a black Harley tee shirt.

Some guys I know seem to work only so they can buy more accessories for their Harley. Great it that's what you want. Just not my bag of tea. I suppose after racing so many years I have a desire for a whole lot more power than a Harley has and a LOT better handling. I rode a 200 mile leg on a trip on a friend's HD that had 'ape hangers' on it, and I couldn't stand it. Hell, my armpits got sunburned and you have almost no control. No way you're going to dodge a deer, person, car, etc. with those and IMHO they were very uncomfortable. Me, I guess I gotta have the power and bike control. Being able to run a 9.3 1/4 out of the box, completely stock, is fast enough for me and it handles rather well. A friend has a 2007 ZX-6R Ninja who wants my fertilizer spreader and one of my scooters. He only has 1500 miles on it and is afraid of it. May have to work out some trade with him. His was fast to start, and he spent about $3k on 'go fast' accessories (which add zero to it's resale value).

Oh, did I ask if anyone else has one of the bluetooth helmets? Man, I love that helmet! The full face part folds up (so you can put on your glasses), it has a clear and tinted shield, and it has a stereo bluetooth headset in it and the mic has great noise reduction to it because most people can't even tell I'm riding if I answer their call. Mostly, I like having a quality full face helmet, eye protection and the ability to listen to my choice of music as a relatively low volume to relax me as I ride. Here is the helmet I have. Mine is gloss black Torc bluetooth modular Contrary to what you may think, just because the bike is currently the fastest production bike built, I generally cruise rather slow in the right lane and just enjoy the ride. Ride on!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

SShepherd will become famous soon enoughSShepherd will become famous soon enough

I have a Nolan N104, the B4 bluetooth should come today.

http://www.n-com.it/site/index.php?o...g=en&brandid=1

http://www.nolan-usa.com/home.php?cat=249

btw, yes..I have a harley. 103ci, 125hp. Yes it's loud, but it's also like a sofa. I ride because I enjoy it (I have a pic of myself when I was 2 on my dads bike)

Too bad a Ducati stealership is so far from you. The diavel only was about .1 sec slower in the quarter than the vmax
Old 05-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Like a bad penny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShepherd View Post
The diavel only was about .1 sec slower in the quarter than the vmax
The new Ninja is about 1 and a half seconds faster in the quarter than the VMAX. That's a considerable difference. Still, 99% of the time I'll just be cruising around however I like. I got right at 39 mpg on the first tank. Obviously I wasn't running it hard any on the first tank! Kind of like yours; it fits you and you like it. That's all I wanted in mine. I thought the VMAX was it, but it just didn't handle like I wanted. Both are reasonably quiet with the stock exhaust. I made it clear to dealers that I won't have an out of tune B&S lawnmower sound and I simply told individuals that there was no need to look at their bike any further if they had megaphones on it. I had that when I raced and they were actually tuned pipes for two strokes, not hollow pipes for the sole purpose of being loud. I guess I'm getting old...
Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

my onlt point to the quarter mile times, the diavel is lighter, and less cc. No dount the zx14 is the fastest bike, but like you said that's not important to you
Old 07-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Like a bad penny...

I got blown away by a very modified Kawasaki ZX6RR. It's only 600cc's too! I rode it a bit and then decided to see what it will do. It didn't take long. It's a 6 speed bike and has the big shift indicator light. I knew my run was going to stop when the shift light didn't flash on in first gear and I was already running over 95 mph and it was still pulling hard at 18,000 RPM! That's the wildest beast I think I've ever ridden. I shifted to 2nd and it picked the front end up a bit on the power shift. That was enough. Dunno what speed. Other things were going by so fast that I didn't look down to see.

Hey, on a side note, I opened a box I got from the guy I bought my VMAX from and it had two new 90 series Nolan helmets in it. I really like those helmets! They are more comfortable than the new Bluetooth helmet I got.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:45 AM

love705 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I sold my last motorcycle in 1988 when my wife was pregnant with our first child and promised not to get another until after our kids were pretty well raised. We're getting pretty close now and my youngest son has no desire to ride one, so I'm really there for all intents and purposes.

My last bike was a V65 Magna Honda. A reasonably quick bike but it had terrible balance. You could literally flip it over backwards if you just twisted on the throttle in 4th gear running 60 mph. Worse yet, they had a terrible track record for speed related head shake; otherwise known as a 'death wobble'. The front end was so light that it would begin what was literally tank slapping with each handlebar and there was nothing you could do as a rider except try to get it shut down ASAP. I left squiggly black marks on a highway for a full 1/8th mile after mine started a speed wobble at 130 mph and, by the grace of God, I rode it out until it quit at 45-50 mph. So, no V65 Magna.

However, I just looked at a Yamaha VMAX and it had that look that I really like; not at all like a crotch rocket, but will run with them if pushed. A friend let me ride his which has had the fuel electronics re-mapped, a larger air intake and exhaust that flows more freely (but NOT loud). It runs the 1/4 mile in the low 9's. It looked WAY cool to me and rode great. Nice manners until you twisted the throttle. It's not supercharged or turbo charged, but it sure seemed to really come on strong around 6000 RPM and pull hard. It's probably the only thing I've ever driven that pulls harder than the 300hp Jet Ski I have. I drove a new 600+ hp Mustang and really liked it, but I already have a 600+ hp car. It's really loud, even with 3 chamber Flowmasters on each side and drinks gas like crazy. This VMAX has all that performance but costs waaaay less and still gets around 40 mpg. Thoughts?

i had this bike before i got a ducati . it is AMAZING in every whey its the best of all worlds . i definitely recommend it its really just plain awesome. you will love itso why did i get a ducati monster you ask .. there Ar many levels of awesome:)
Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Like a bad penny...

I've not exactly been physically able to do all the things I'm used to doing. That includes enjoying rides on my 2 wheeled toys. One of my 'sleepers' is a "HalfaBusa". From what I'm told from the 'Busa fanatic who I let work on mine, he told me that my particular bike is basically half of the fastest 'Busa Suzuki ever built that has been detuned and put into.....um,....a scooter! Yup, I have a 650cc scooter. However, after I burned through my budget with Al, the guy who did the work, my scooter will flat embarrass a HUGE percentage of all bikes on the road. Some think it's funny, others want to kill you after you leave their VROD in the dust.

Anyway, after I missed riding it all last year I got it out and rode it last week a bit. I realize it has been a while, but it really seemed considerably slower. So, I thought the least I could do was give it a regular tune-up. In doing so I also solved the mystery of who was eating my snacks out in my shop. When I went to change my air filter, this is what I found...
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2016, 08:02 PM
Large Member

Big Dog has a spectacular aura aboutBig Dog has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Anyway, after I missed riding it all last year I got it out and rode it last week a bit. I realize it has been a while, but it really seemed considerably slower. So, I thought the least I could do was give it a regular tune-up. In doing so I also solved the mystery of who was eating my snacks out in my shop. When I went to change my air filter, this is what I found...
You know what they say "If you don't use it ................." the mice just helped you!

"No law ever prevented a crime" ...........

The MLR (Men's Locker Room) is now open! PM Big Dog for access ....

The Following User Says Thank You to Big Dog For This Useful Post:
Dargo  (08-19-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 PM

OhioTC18 is on a distinguished road

No wonder why you had a loss of power.
The Following User Says Thank You to OhioTC18 For This Useful Post:
Dargo  (08-19-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

Thanked 8,306 Times in 3,455 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

I totally understand where you're coming from. I have the goldwing sitting in the garage about 95% done. I haven't even looked at it in months because of chronic pain in my back and legs. Like you two wheel toys may be a thing of the past for me. I've been looking at trikes lately and not a huge fan of them.

I'm seriously looking into the can am spyder for sometime in the next couple years. Bike guys say it's not a bike. Car guys say it's not a car. I would classify it in the bike category myself but a branch off the bike tree since you're still out in the open air riding. The first ones that came out had a crotch rocket riding position. They heard the cry from riders and came out with a cruiser and also a touring model.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
Dargo  (08-19-2016), Galvatron (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Spock and Galvatron < one and the same

Thanked 1,409 Times in 723 Posts
Galvatron has a spectacular aura aboutGalvatron has a spectacular aura about

The last Yamaha i had was a XJ550...it was chain driven and the newer 600 went to shaft driven.the late 1980's and early 1990's were a fun time....always wanted a FJ1300 but never got round to it.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Like a bad penny...

Okay, I have to be honest. Since I may not get to ride any more this year after next Wednesday, I rinsed off the ole HD Heritage and took it for a 70 mile cruise around some country back roads in my area. It's been so long since I've been on that bike I really forgot what it was like. I guess since 3 of the 4 HD motorcycles I've owned were old AMF shakers, that was the image and feel that has been stuck in my mind. Although it's no big cruiser by any means, I really enjoyed the ride on the Heritage and thought it was quite comfortable. Heck, different bikes for different moods, right?