• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Carpenter Ants

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
They first showed up last year and I killed them off but they are back again this year. I think there must be a big colony nearby and they are trying to set up satellite colony near my house - again.

So I sprayed the house perimeter yesterday and there are now dead ants all over the place.

I have been using Permethrin but am open to suggestions.

Anyone have a really good carpenter ant cocktail or suggestions? I think I'll just have to get used to spraying the perimeter of the house every couple of weeks so I'm hoping to find something cheap that works.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Do more than just the perimeter of your house. At my old house I did my whole lawn and including the sides of the neighboring houses next to mine. That seem to help the best otherwise they just kept coming.

murph

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've always found that unless you can find the "mother" mound, spraying is just a stop gap procedure. It makes you feel good to see the dead ants all over the place but it doesn't tackle the root of the problem. I've had most success with one of the baits that the foraging ants carry back to the nest. It's slower, less satisfying, less dramatic but it can provide a permanent solution. Occasionally it will cause them to move, usually not far and in a smaller and weakened community, but as long as the bait is still available it will get them in the end.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think the problem is that the mother mound must be on my neighbor's property. However, they are away this weekend. :whistle:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
This was about ten years ago and the product I used back then I believe is off the market now but there is some other comparable items available. I am using this now at our cabin and is doing a pretty good job.

Bayer

I think this was the product that is hard to find now.

My wife says we had some stuff that started with a T ??? It is doing a pretty good job at our cabin. Around my existing house I don't have any ants at all. When at the cabin this week-end I can get the name of what we are using right now.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
at my old place i had good luck with "Grants Kills ants"
The other day at Sam's club I saw a granular bait product next to it specifically aimed at Carpenter ants, but can't think of the name.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
ETF is dead on (pardon the pun) about baits being the most effective. Truth is you could have several primary colonies causing you your problem. Carpenter ants will forage upwards of a couple hundred feet from the main nest. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to make sure you have dry conditions in and around your house. ie; water leaks, ponding, minimizing wood to ground situations, keeping plants trimmed back from the house etc. Baiting is also something you will more than likely have to do 2-3 times from spring to fall.

Hope tis helps some.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
PB,
I live in the woods and have had Carpenter Ant problems as well .
The product I used that finally got rid of them is from this company .
www.terro.com
Specifically the bait stations . When I first put them down ,I thought that I'd made a serious error . It seems as if every ant within miles had come for a free meal ! But within a few days the ants stopped coming into the house . Terro apparently is taken back to the nest ,where it is shared ,killing the entire colony .

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We have used the Terro inside our cabin and within two days they are gone. I never really realized they made something for the outdoors until I did searches for the stuff I used outdoors. Can't say I have ever seen it around here being sold for the outdoors.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I put some Terro bait around yesterday but I think my Pemethrin and Isotox cocktail may have hurt them pretty bad. I only saw one ant last night and it was almost dead.

I'll buy some Terro bait stations since you guys seem to use it a lot. My house is probably more like everyone else's "cabin". We are surrounded by trees and woods so it is hard to set up a clean and wide perimeter.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I've used Terro traps both inside and out, with excellent results. I even had a family dog chew one up with no ill effects. I called both the Terro and a pet accidental poison hotline, and neither were concerned about the exposure to the dog, so it must be pretty safe for pets

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
You need need to be careful in placing the traps. The permethrin can contaminate the bait and the ants will not come near them. you should also not spray around the traps after you put them down for the same reason. Max Force is a brand that I used alot in my pest control days.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/maxforce-granular-ant-bait.htm

I like the granular as you can distribute it out away from the house in wooded areas and such. Fipronil is an excellent chemical too. it makes them unable to reproduce. It causes premature molting in roaches and in gels can be placed almost anywhere except outdoors.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here is what I used this spring and did a great job Triazine

The link talks about aerosol formula but what I have is in a bag. I Googled the product I am using and this is the best or closests that I can come up with.

Fire-Ant-Killer

Say goodbye to fire ants. This product is designed to kill the complete nest, not just kill ants. The aerosol formula is injected by a 36" rod (provided) directly into the mound to get to the queen - the key to destroying the nest. This product combines two synthetic pyrethroids, 0.2% Tetrametrin and 0.4% Phenothrin in a heavy solvent base for excellent contact kill. It is a most effective way to protect workers, school children, livestock and more from these dangerous insects.

SShepherd

well, I had carpenter ants, fleas, ticks, "skeeters" the size of hummingbirds and horseflys that would drain you of blood
I went out this year and bought this:
http://advancesources.com/solo_450_1.html

in conjunction with a combo of pyretherin/permethrin I think I killed every bug around the house including spiders.:clap:did I mention I live on 10 acers of woods with 2 swamps?