Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Private Investing Forum

Private Investing Forum Discussion of Stocks and Strategies

Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

BigAl will become famous soon enough
Default Stock market

The DJ is way up there . About time for a major correction ?? Does anyone really know ?

I have given it some serious thought and I think I will leave my investments alone . Sure , they go up , they go down, but in the end its the long run for me that counts .
I do not buy iffy stocks . They have to be good blue chips or proven records with years of success .
Listen ,we have to keep ahead of rising cost in our lives . I think well invested stocks is about as safe as it gets . I cannot remember the last time I sold a stock . It has been years . My investment game has changed over the years , I am a very careful investor . No time left to make mistakes and start over in my life .
But I am not one who can sit in front of a screen to play the market daily . I have better things to do . Invest wisely and go on with life .
I still feel real estate is a great investment right now too . I also do a lot of long term financing of contracts and loans . A great way to make very decent money . In fact it is one of the best , if you can do it . Most times I make more on the interest return than the original loan . Unfortunately , that makes Uncle Sam love my sorry ass come tax time .

Disclaimer: Read with caution !!
Poster may be Bad Speller at times .
Old 08-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 3,795 Times in 1,658 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stock market

Me too Al. My days of moving in and out of the market are far behind me. I made a fair amount of money when I was doing that but it also cost me dearly once when I was stuck in West Africa and couldn't get a phone call back to my broker in the States for weeks. They say that education costs and I learned a lesson back then.

These days I'm like you, blue chip stocks and bonds, stay invested, ride out the ups and downs, and don't worry about it. You'll make a decent return. Life is much easier that way.

Over the years, the other lesson I learned and a hard lesson at that, is not to be greedy. You need to invest with discipline and always remember what your end game is.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 08-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer

jpr62902 will become famous soon enoughjpr62902 will become famous soon enough

The only thing I bought this year was TGT back in January, and that's because I wanted my Roth $ working as soon as possible. Last year, I only bought CVX, KMI and KO. After that meteoric rise since 2012, I'm waiting for a 10% correction, but it just doesn't seem to want to happen, although we were close last week. Still, there are bigger problems to have than sitting on some cash you can't decide how to invest .... Trying to decide between JPM, GIS and maybe CSCO or HAS. Or maybe a REIT, like HPC.

-- Sam
Old 08-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 1,104 Times in 600 Posts
Kane will become famous soon enoughKane will become famous soon enough

Yes, the Obama Jobless Recovery just can't seem to shake demand lose for the middle class, yet the Big Banksters are still rolling in the dough (and the returns). Inflation is a lesser worry than deflation.

So the only choice the Fed has is to keep printing more imaginary USD's to keep the markets propped up, thus guaranteeing a continuing rise in equities. When handed billions in USD's every month at 0%, what other choice do the Banksters have but to play around in equities, real estate and certain commodities?

So let it ride. Stocks are wildly over-valued, but any "correction" will be modest until something changes ... either the Fed stops creating money or Iran gets the bomb and the world blows up (which, the way the Obama foreign policy is going, could happen any time).

But it still wouldn't hurt to buy some $20 silver. Of course real estate is always a winner, but the opportunity to score woefully distressed property is long gone, as the time to launch was in Winter/Spring, 2012.