Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Motorcycles & Accessories Forum

Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

Ironman will become famous soon enoughIronman will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style
Exclamation U.S. Government to Limit Motorcycle Engine Output to 75 Horsepower

I am so effing screwed if this is true

Acting preemptively in light of the European Union's recent push towards limiting motorcycle horsepower to 100, Congress has quietly passed a transportation bill that will cap motorcycle engine output at 75 hp.

At a press conference today, DOT spokesman Melvin P. Meyers announced that "We can't lag behind Europe's progressive stance towards two-wheeled moderation." The bill not only limits the horsepower of current and future motorcycle models, it retroactively applies to any registered bike on the road, and will take effect as early as January, 2011. "In the interest of public safety," Meyers explains, "law enforcement officials will clamp down on any and all motorcyclists who violate the law."
The bill outlines numerous electronic and mechanical implements that reduce engine output. For instance, fuel-injected powerplants will be fitted with revised engine management chips and/or throttle bodies, while older carbureted bikes will have a reduction gear attached to the throttle assembly. At the discretion of state police, mobile dynamometers may be utilized for field tests.

Both the Motorcycle Industry Council and the American Motorcyclist Association have lobbied against the bill, in addition to most manufacturers including Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Triumph, and Yamaha.

There has been no comment from Harley-Davidson, though Forbes reports that Harley stock has jumped 12 percent on the announcement.*
Old 04-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

thcri has a spectacular aura aboutthcri has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: U.S. Government to Limit Motorcycle Engine Output to 75 Horsepower

Change from what your used to seeing huh.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Oh and from some of the articles I read you will have to take your existing motorcycle and de-rate it.

Last edited by thcri; 04-11-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanked 29,398 Times in 9,831 Posts
pirate_girl is on a distinguished road

April fools! The linked story is an April Fools joke (not the story’s date). There seem to have less believable variations of it, such as Motorcycle Chrome to be Banned by January 1, 2011! - Honda VTX forums for Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 motorcycles (“chrome is the silent killer” ), some with a common feature of quoting “DOT spokesman Melvin P. Meyers”.

American’s rights to have bikes with more powerful motors than their neighbor’s trucks’ are, for the time being, safe.

The hoax story’s mention of the EU considering a law limiting all street motorcycles in Europe to less than 100 HP is not a hoax (see The facts behind Europe's pending 100 HP motorcycle limit - Hell For Leather). This story is complicated, however, by various European country’s complicated (by US standards) scheme of requiring successively more difficult to get riders’ licenses for more powerful bikes. Were the 100 HP limitation to become EU law, it would likely apply to present “unlimited” licenses holders, requiring that they get a more advanced licenses for bikes with more than 100 HP, not the outright banning of such machines.

http://hypography.com/forums/off-bea...le-engine.html
Old 04-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

geez I googled it and there was a 1000 articles on it. Saw the one picture of the harley and laughed. Whew but I don't own a bike.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:33 AM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcri View Post
Hey I owned one of those back in the 60's! 65 cc with a three speed twist grip shifter. Great for getting around in town and run forever on fuel. It was Italian built and fun to ride.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Now a Published Author

fogtender will become famous soon enoughfogtender will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcri View Post

I got one of those in the back yard... needs a bit of work though.... Starts with an "H" too, just says Honda..
Old 04-11-2010, 03:41 AM
Unemployed Veg. Peddler

REDDOGTWO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogtender View Post

I got one of those in the back yard... needs a bit of work though.... Starts with an "H" too, just says Honda..
HONDA=Harley Owner Note Developed Adequately.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 8,814 Times in 3,584 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Re: U.S. Government to Limit Motorcycle Engine Output to 75 Horsepower

Its a JOKE, see the very bottom of the article!
U.S. Government to Limit Motorcycle Engine Output to 75 Horsepower
Thursday April 1, 2010
http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2010/...horsepower.htm

Acting preemptively in light of the European Union's recent push towards limiting motorcycle horsepower to 100, Congress has quietly passed a transportation bill that will cap motorcycle engine output at 75 hp.
At a press conference today, DOT spokesman Melvin P. Meyers announced that "We can't lag behind Europe's progressive stance towards two-wheeled moderation." The bill not only limits the horsepower of current and future motorcycle models, it retroactively applies to any registered bike on the road, and will take effect as early as January, 2011. "In the interest of public safety," Meyers explains, "law enforcement officials will clamp down on any and all motorcyclists who violate the law."

The bill outlines numerous electronic and mechanical implements that reduce engine output. For instance, fuel-injected powerplants will be fitted with revised engine management chips and/or throttle bodies, while older carbureted bikes will have a reduction gear attached to the throttle assembly. In instances where owners choose to retain the mechanical authenticity of their motorcycles, a banana can also be slipped into the exhaust pipe(s). At the discretion of state police, mobile dynamometers may be utilized for field tests.

Both the Motorcycle Industry Council and the American Motorcyclist Association have lobbied against the bill, in addition to most manufacturers including Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Triumph, and Yamaha.

There has been no comment from Harley-Davidson, though Forbes reports that Harley stock has jumped 12 percent on the announcement.*

Related:
  • Motorcycle Chrome to be Banned by January 1, 2010
  • DOT to Make Wheelies Legal
  • Ford unveils world's first disposable car, on About.com Cars
* In other news, Happy April Fool's Day!

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 3,780 Times in 1,652 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
Hey I owned one of those back in the 60's! 65 cc with a three speed twist grip shifter. Great for getting around in town and run forever on fuel. It was Italian built and fun to ride.
Me too. Mine was a Phillips moped with a 49cc engine and you had to pedal the sucker on steep hills to make it to the top.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".

Tags
screwed