• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Muskeg-one track doesn't move freely

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
So my poor Muskeg wasn't running well last fall and a rough winter has ruined all my other batteries.... I decided to just tow the Muskeg into position to winch it onto a trailer. I wasn't towing well and when I went to load it, it acted like one track was in gear: it turned but in a jerky fashion. The machine ended up all crooked on the trailer ( I fixed that with a big backhoe)

It only has hydraulic steering. The wheels all look like they have been turning in the track. Can someone give me an idea of what might be wrong with it ???

I have to remove the cab to look at the diff so I'm really hoping there might be a reason that is not inside the diff.

Thanks

J5 Bombardier

Other than a track grease tensioner allowing the rear wheels to rub on the walking beams , can' t think of anything else, without the cover coming off for a look.
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I did sort of check for that. One thing I noticed was that the sprocket on the bad track was very close to the first wheel when I was winching it onto the trailer. I guessed it was because the track was tight from the pulling pressure. Rest of track wasn't as tight. When I looked at it after it was loaded, it looked normal.

Guess I will try to park it somewhere I can take that track off and check all the wheels and the sprockets. The other (good) track got new rubber a few years ago.

J5 Bombardier

Before busting a track off , you could pull both axles out and re tow it. If it tows straight ,then I guess it would be diff cover time.
J5 Bombardier

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks. I'll consider that.

I have so many broken things that I just don't know what to do next.