Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 03-30-2019, 07:06 PM

Kmcbride is on a distinguished road
Default DMC 1450 Idler help

Iím putting my Snowcat back together finally and need a little help. Is there a torque for the front idlers or just a ďruleĒ to follow on how tight they should be? Canít find it anywhere in the bits of manuals that I have and Iíve searched the threads. Canít find anything and would like to get this done by dark. Iím new at this so please be kind. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:12 PM
Tracked Evolution Central

Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
MNoutdoors is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DMC 1450 Idler help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcbride View Post
Iím putting my Snowcat back together finally and need a little help. Is there a torque for the front idlers or just a ďruleĒ to follow on how tight they should be? Canít find it anywhere in the bits of manuals that I have and Iíve searched the threads. Canít find anything and would like to get this done by dark. Iím new at this so please be kind. Thanks.
Tighten till no slop better a little on the loose side than to tight
Old 03-30-2019, 07:20 PM
Tracked Evolution Central

Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
MNoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Better clarify that after rereading your post, if you mean bearings then follow my post, if you mean track tightness then thatís different. Tighten the track till snug then drive it a little bit and have someone watch the track when you put into reverse on a flat surface. Look at the area between the sprocket and the rear wheel for curl a slight curl is ok, a big dish plate sized curl is to much.
Kmcbride (04-02-2019), rockhead (03-30-2019), sno-drifter (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 10:15 PM

Kmcbride is on a distinguished road

Thanks Brad, you would know this cat better than anyone since it used to be yours . Yes, itís the bearing. Iíll just tighten them snug then. Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:12 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,625 Times in 650 Posts
redsqwrl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcbride View Post
Thanks Brad, you would know this cat better than anyone since it used to be yours . Yes, itís the bearing. Iíll just tighten them snug then. Thanks again.

My handicap is wheel bearings.
use a search engine (google) for dexter they have great write ups on the process of setting tapered roller bearings for their trailers...
  • some processes have you achieve a torque value don't turn the wheel then back off to the next keeper position.
  • other bearing processes tighten hand tight, then turn the wheel <each direction> and then loosen.
  • A VW service manual for the rear of a jetta states tighten until it takes 20 foot pounds of force to slide a washer beneath the nut.

In my slow and back in time cognitive function, I run bearing a little tighter on the sno cat and snow cat(s) than i do on my trailers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redsqwrl For This Useful Post:
Kmcbride (04-02-2019), sno-drifter (03-31-2019)