Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Travel Forum

Travel Forum Check out the "2008 Vacation Posting Contest"

Old 01-28-2015, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Tractors4u is on a distinguished road
Default Yellowstone?

Who's been to Yellowstone?

We had planned on going there last year and then Katelyn got her diagnosis and chemo started the next week.

Leaving from Alabama we are wanting to hit the Bad Lands of South Dakota and Mt Rushmore. Then to Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon and Grand Tetons. Then head down to Arizona and see Monument Valley, Zion and Moab.

Maybe I am being a little over ambitious for a 2 to 2 1/2 week trip.

What are your experiences?
Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,223 Posts
mla2ofus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yellowstone?

We live fairly close. Come into Yellowstone from Cody, Wy. There's a firearm museum there that's awesome. What kind of lodging will you need? Don't plan to see Yellowstone all in one day. From there you can go to Jackson,Wy and see the Tetons on the way. IMO Jackson is just a tourist trap and rich man's playground, but still good to see. From there you can head south to see the Utah and Arizona sites. If you want PM me when you're heading this way and maybe we could have a meet and greet for lunch. We live on the way to Utah.
Mike
Old 01-29-2015, 12:49 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,649 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Brents, you're going to have a pretty full 2-1/2 weeks.

About 3 years ago we drove from East Texas to Cody, Wy. It took us 3 days. We took a couple of side trips along the way. If I remember correctly, it's about 900 miles. We spent another 3 days in Cody visiting Yellowstone. That firearms museum in Cody is really worth visiting but you could easily spend most of a day there. We then traveled down to Jackson Hole and spent another 3 days there and in the surrounding countryside. We then dilly dallied our way down to Durango, Co, Santa Fe and Albuquerque, NM and then boogied on home. All in all, it took us almost 3 weeks. There's a lot to see and do along the way. Once you get across the Central Plains, it IS beautiful. You'll have a great time.

Oh, by the way, don't go too early in the year. We left in April. The weather was very pleasant in East Texas, in Wyoming it was still winter. They had a late spring and a lot of the roads in Yellowstone were still closed and Yellowstone lake was still frozen.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 01-31-2015, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Tractors4u is on a distinguished road

Thanks mla2ofus!