• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

PTO shaft standards???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is there any 'industry standard' for PTO shafts?

I went to use the PHD this weekend to drill holes for some new bushes. (I share the implement with my neighbor, we both paid for part of it) But when I went over there, the part of the PTO shaft that connects to the tractor was missing. And he wasn't home so I couldn't ask him about it, even after searcihng his garage!

So I went to another neighbor and wondered if he borrowed it.

Then I went back home and looked at my other PTO shafts.

I needed a female end that looked like a tube with 3 inverted "V" notches sticking out from the tube. I had a couple squares. I had a couple rectangles. But nothing close to what I needed.

So why the heck do manufacturers make such odd proprietary shafts? Can it be certain designs are used for certain applications that require specific amounts or torque? Or do they make them that way 'just because' that is the way they always did it?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have run into the same thing. I have two pto powered implements. A RFM and a rotary cutter (bush hog). Both take different shafts. I had trouble with my RFM one and tried to use the one of the bush hog, but it was completely different. So I go to another tractor dealer that was close by. He had 1/2 of a shed full of slightly used to very used PTO shafts. All different types and sizes, but we could not find one that was like my RFM. I was surprised to say the least. The end that goes to the tractor is standard for all (cat1, cat2 ...) but the implement end is up to the manufacturer evidently. I never thought of the different tourqe possibility.