Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Hobbies Forum

Old 01-05-2019, 02:46 PM
Mr Lovable

Thanked 11,898 Times in 4,420 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default ALCO S2 Diesel with DCC & LokSound

Recently decided to get back into model railroading after many years. I long since sold off all my old equipment. This time around I decided to try N Scale and go full Digital Command & Control. Things have changed considerably to say the least.

Well, my first engine came in today. It is an American Locomotive Company S2 diesel built by Atlas. It has all the bells and whistles, no pun intended.

I think I will be liking this new (to me) digital control. Performance is very smooth at low speed and the sound decoder is very nice.

http://youtu.be/tJ8zfQWI1_k
jim slagle  (01-05-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Bronze Member

jwstewar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ALCO S2 Diesel with DCC & LokSound

At some point, I would like to get a layout set back up. I had an N-scale that I was working on but never quite got going well on it other than the track wired and a few buildings. Was always frustrated with the couplers on N-scale and was trying to upgrade and add auto coupling and uncoupling, but ended up just ruining my locos. Most of the cars upgraded OK, but never did get the actual auto-couple/uncouple working. DCC was just starting to come out as I was getting out. Wanted to go that route, but life quickly forced me to lose interest.

Revelations 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwstewar For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (01-07-2019), TiredRetired (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Mr Lovable

Thanked 11,898 Times in 4,420 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: ALCO S2 Diesel with DCC & LokSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
At some point, I would like to get a layout set back up. I had an N-scale that I was working on but never quite got going well on it other than the track wired and a few buildings. Was always frustrated with the couplers on N-scale and was trying to upgrade and add auto coupling and uncoupling, but ended up just ruining my locos. Most of the cars upgraded OK, but never did get the actual auto-couple/uncouple working. DCC was just starting to come out as I was getting out. Wanted to go that route, but life quickly forced me to lose interest.
N Scale has come a long, long way in the last few years. More and more people, like myself move to it as it requires much less room for the same size layout. Now, it is #2 behind HO and gaining momentum. HO is really the optimum size all around, but I cannot invest in the amount of basement space required for the layout I want.
Danang Sailor (01-08-2019)