• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Newspapers to sue internet forums over content posting

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the newspapers don't want people to post whole articles.

We can post LINKS to articles.

We can post "fair use" portions of articles, which means we can apparently post several paragraphs but not the entire article.

Here are the first few paragraphs of this article, I think we should all take heed and consider this a warning.

Newspaper Chain’s New Business Plan: Copyright Suits
By David Kravets July 22, 2010

Borrowing a page from patent trolls, the CEO of fledgling Las Vegas-based Righthaven has begun buying out the copyrights to newspaper content for the sole purpose of suing blogs and websites that re-post those articles without permission. And he says he’s making money.

“We believe it’s the best solution out there,” Gibson says. “Media companies’ assets are very much their copyrights. These companies need to understand and appreciate that those assets have value more than merely the present advertising revenues.”

Gibson’s vision is to monetize news content on the backend, by scouring the internet for infringing copies of his client’s articles, then suing and relying on the harsh penalties in the Copyright Act — up to $150,000 for a single infringement — to compel quick settlements. Since Righthaven’s formation in March, the company has filed at least 80 federal lawsuits against website operators and individual bloggers who’ve re-posted articles from the Las Vegas Review-Journal, his first client.

Read More http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/copyright-trolling-for-dollars/#ixzz0uVGyhzjV

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
So what happens if you change the header for an article? I would think that would throw off any search they set to find it as a whole body search would be slow as molasses.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I doubt they will start here, and I suspect they will do full content searches.

However, if we play by the rules we should be fine.

LINK to the original content.
POST only PARTIAL content.
ADD your own commentary before or after the content.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Exactly Bob. Good post and reminder to us all.
Whoever makes the post that costs 150k WILL be expected to pay the fee.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
No big surprise , Every news article I,ve seen states the copyright law at the bottom in fine print most times :whistling:.

D

darroll

Another giant leap backwards.
If you don’t copy/paste the article, someone will accuse you of making it up.
The news today is bazaar enough.
I’m still careful though.
This is the only way for some in the press to make money, with the fibs that they tell.
We should be able to sue the politicians also for fibbing.
Our headline this am: Quote- “Despite promises, tax increases might loom”.
DUH

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well back to the way I did this every other place except here, post the URL with my comments and nothing more. Copyright laws can be tough.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I thought it was always the correct way to post until I came here and got blasted for that way. I was told to put the link then quote the article so that is what I did but won't anymore. I never did feel comfortable with doing that but what the hell when in Rome do as the Romans do.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I thought it was always the correct way to post until I came here and got blasted for that way. I was told to put the link then quote the article so that is what I did but won't anymore. I never did feel comfortable with doing that but what the hell when in Rome do as the Romans do.

When did you get "blasted" for linking to an article?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim, I must have misunderstood Joe.
I think he was saying he posts article links with a comment on it first, but doesn't copy and paste the whole thing?
There have been times when I have done just the opposite.
C & P the article, then forgot to link it.
PB always gets me on that one lol

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
When did you get "blasted" for linking to an article?

I was told when I first came here to post a link, then quote the article, JPR. Now if you want simply go back and look, as Doc, I think you did as well as other told me to post that way. I consider more than 4 people telling me the method of posting to a forum can be classed as blasting. Now if you have a problem with my term then I stand correct according to your opinion over mine. Oh and this came after several times of posting just the links as none of you seemed to want to be bothered with looking at them, now I could be wrong on that is I am old so perhaps I can't remember correctly what was said.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I know for certain I've never criticized anyone for posting a link (other than spam), and I know I've asked joec for some corroboration of his views via a link.

But I've never criticized anyone for posting the whole text of an article, nor can I remember any other moderator doing so.

Obviously, that has to change now, but it's still appropriate and legal to link to corroborating sources of a poster's views.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I know for certain I've never criticized anyone for posting a link (other than spam), and I know I've asked joec for some corroboration of his views via a link.

But I've never criticized anyone for posting the whole text of an article, nor can I remember any other moderator doing so.

Obviously, that has to change now, but it's still appropriate and legal to link to corroborating sources of a poster's views.

Right. Now this is getting totally confusing.
Guess I don't exactly understand what Joe is getting at, but I thought I did.:neutral:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was told when I first came here to post a link, then quote the article, JPR. Now if you want simply go back and look, as Doc, I think you did as well as other told me to post that way. I consider more than 4 people telling me the method of posting to a forum can be classed as blasting. Now if you have a problem with my term then I stand correct according to your opinion over mine. Oh and this came after several times of posting just the links as none of you seemed to want to be bothered with looking at them, now I could be wrong on that is I am old so perhaps I can't remember correctly what was said.

Joe..
I think the ideal way now to post a found article is to first:
Use the original title of the item found (don't jazz it up or change the content/wording from the site) when you post your new thread title.

Put the link in either before or after with your added comments.
For example:

Thoughts? What do you think about this?
Somewhere in between you should partially post (via copy and paste) some of the article.. but not all of it.
You can add the words more here linking the rest.
Doesn't hurt to find several other sources of the same on your net journey.

Am I partially correct moderators? Spot on?

D

darroll

I'm a little slow answering this thread.

I'm figuring out who/whom to sue............

lol

D

darroll

SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Don't tell the tax people or they will get it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Somewhere in between you should partially post (via copy and paste) some of the article.. but not all of it.
The problem I have with posting partial articles is that the excerpt(s) used can be considered taking it "out of context".

The problem I have with "link only" is that if the host of the link moves or deletes the content, the source of discussion is gone.

If companies go after internet blogs or forums for this, I see their immediate business revenue possibly flourishing from the lawsuits but in the longer term, I see it crashing. Would you renew a subscription to a media source with this sort of business practice?

What if the AP said nobody could use their reporting or re-publish their content? I think a lot of the media companies would suffer greatly. Look at the By lines of national/international news in your local paper. Many of the By lines show AP as their source (or having contributed to the article).

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Aw hell post what you want. They will only go after the mods and admin anyway.:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Aw hell post what you want. They will only go after the mods and admin anyway.:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

Heck, I'm almost afraid to post anything newspaper related now:yum:

Thanks for your thoughts up there Brian! Interesting.
It's not like there aren't a gazillion blogs and forums out there as it is.
Many of the ones I visit to find things worthy of discussing/posting have several other sources linked.. sort of a newsy info stew, as it were- some only contain partial info to grab attention, then linking to another source(s).