• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BACON, rules and regulations thereof...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While I am an expert at consuming and enjoying bacon and bacon-like products, I am not an expert on the rules and regulations pertinent to Bacon standards and practices.

For instance, does Canadian Bacon (i.e. "back bacon") qualify as bacon?

What of the fact that in Ireland, what they call bacon is what we call ham? Is it bacon because they say so, or not? And while we were in the UK they served us something called bacon, it was more like ham, but a not a full slice.

Should turkey bacon exist in our society? It's not really bacon, and it has just as much fat and calories as real bacon, so what't the point? In my opinion, it serves no purpose. And then there is that pre-cooked packaged bacon. . . WTF is that stuff :shock:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
And then there is that pre-cooked packaged bacon. . . WTF is that stuff :shock:

It's a non-cooking bachelor's savior, that's what it is. Don't get me wrong, I love bacon, even the American variety, but it is messy to cook and clean up afterwards and I am a messy cook. It's a habit I developed years ago mainly so my wife would ban me from the kitchen. It's worked very well for 30 years. So when it comes to bacon/breakfast in our house, I make the coffee. But when the urge strikes you at lunch time, throwing a few rashers into the microwave and constructing a huge BLT sandwich, is a labor of love.

As for turkey bacon, I can't think of a reason for its existence. I had to eat it for weeks on end (along with turkey sausage) when I worked in Egypt and I swore that I'd have to be close to starvation before eating it again.

British Bacon Rules!!!!!!! Very little fat, cooked limp, tastes great.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If bacon is cooked to crunchy, it's no longer bacon. It's now those crappy "bacon bits" or whatever they called those things in a can that made you burp for 2 days.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
Mr. Skurka I have come to realize that you are a man that loves his bacon. My wife started bringing home that turkey bacon and then cooking it in the microwave. It had the consistancy of cardboard and not the good corugated stuff, but that thin stuff that shoe boxes are made of. That stuff is not bacon. The one true bacon is that that we Americans enjoy for breakfast and on our bacon double cheeseburgers. If the Canadians call their stuff bacon, what do they call ham?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
If bacon is cooked to crunchy, it's no longer bacon. It's now those crappy "bacon bits" or whatever they called those things in a can that made you burp for 2 days.

Pffft! Limp bacon is representative of limpness elsewhere. :mrgreen:

Bacon needs to be cooked to a nice crunchy state (turned frequently and lovingly). Thick cut (but not too thick) with coarse ground Black Pepper.

I still don't understand what the deal is with Maple Flavored Bacon!:puke1:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maple SMOKED bacon is good. But there are some bacons that taste like they've had maple syrup poured on them, not sure what the point of that is unless you want a cavity from eating sweetened bacon?

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I will get into the middle here between Zoomer and PB.... I like mine pretty limp.. just before crunchy... HATE super crunchy bacon... and pre-cooked stuff... is for us lazy bastages...:punk:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What about CANNED BACON?

Is anyone else simply afraid of this stuff? I think I'd rather starve. It just seems SO WRONG on so many levels.

e08f_1_sbol.JPG

e54f_1_sbol.JPG

f8a3_1_sbol.JPG

0085_1_sbol.JPG

0407_1_sbol.JPG

6c99_1_sbol.JPG

f484_1_sbol.JPG

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is that similar to a thick jowl cut?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
while we were in the UK they served us something called bacon, it was more like ham, but a not a full slice.

:shock:
That would have been a rasher.
Steven loved a Sunday fry-up, so of course I had to cook the rashers to his specifications. Flash in the pan, just barely browned around the edges.
I've sampled it a lot and loved the flavour.
When I used to eat BLTs long ago with proper US bacon (sandwich of the Gods), I preferred my bacon on the crunchy side... tomato, lettuce on toasted bread with ranch dressing.:thumb:
Here is a pic of a fry-up, sans the black pudding and fried bread.

Attachments

• breakfast_fry_up2.jpg
    breakfast_fry_up2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 64

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
What about CANNED BACON?

Is anyone else simply afraid of this stuff? I think I'd rather starve. It just seems SO WRONG on so many levels.

Ah Bob, it doesn't matter how you like your bacon cooked, that just can't be right.

PG, I love the picture but lose the "Great British Banger". It's terrible. American sausage is far superior because it doesn't contain BREAD!!!! Now substitute black pudding and all is forgiven. There should also be a law that no one over 30 should be allowed to eat fried bread. I used to love it but speak about an instant grabber.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
PG, I love the picture but lose the "Great British Banger". It's terrible. American sausage is far superior because it doesn't contain BREAD!!!! Now substitute black pudding and all is forgiven. There should also be a law that no one over 30 should be allowed to eat fried bread. I used to love it but speak about an instant grabber.
Frank!! I'm shocked!! Lancashire sausage buttie with HP sauce?:tongue::brows:
You can keep the black pudding!! :doh:
Ohhhhhhhh fried bread with Heinz beans on top.. still a favourite lunch for me.. and the beans MUST be Heinz!! ;)