• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Buffett buys H.J.Heinz for 23.3 billion

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Home | Street Talk
Tags: Warren Buffett | Berkshire Hathaway | Heinz | buy

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway, 3G Capital Buying Heinz for $23.3 Billion

Thursday, 14 Feb 2013 08:00 AM

Share:

clear.gif

More . . .
A A |
Email Us |
Print |
Forward Article

Billionaire investor Warren Buffett is dipping into the ketchup business as part of $23.3 billion deal to buy the Heinz ketchup company.

H.J. Heinz Co. says it's the largest deal ever in the food industry. The company, based in Pittsburgh, also makes Classico spaghetti sauces, Ore-Ida potatoes and Smart Ones frozen meals. Including debt assumption, Heinz valued the transaction at $28 billion.

Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway and its partner on the deal — 3G Capital, the investment firm that bought Burger King in 2010 — say Heinz will remain headquartered in Pittsburgh. Heinz CEO William Johnson said in a statement that the company "will have an opportunity to drive further growth" as a private enterprise.

"It's our kind of company," Buffett said in an interview on CNBC, noting its signature ketchup has been around for more than a century. "I've sampled it many times."

The company was founded by Henry John Heinz and his neighbor L. Clarence Noble in 1869. Their first product was grated horseradish, bottled in a clear glass to showcase its purity. The first ketchup was introduced in 1876; the company says it was the country's first commercial grade ketchup.

Last year, Heinz says it had sales of $11.6 billion, with ketchup and sauces accounting for just under half of that. Given the saturated North American market, the company has increasingly looked overseas for growth. In 2010, for example, the company bought Foodstar, which makes Master brand soy sauce and fermented bean curd in China. Heinz expects emerging markets to account for a quarter of the company's sales.

Representatives for Heinz and the investment group weren't able to immediately provide any further details on the deal, including whether there would be any management changes or layoffs.

Buffett did not immediately respond to a message from The Associated Press on Thursday. But he has recently said that he's been hunting for elephant-sized deals and at the end of September he had $47.8 billion cash on hand to finance any investments.

Heinz has the type of brand equity that takes years to create and it has been able to raise prices even in the highly competitive grocery business, said Brian Sozzi, chief equities analyst for NBG Productions.

"There isn't going to be another Heinz brand," he said. "It has a durable competitive advantage."

Generally, Buffett prefers to buy entire companies for his Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate and then allow the businesses to continue operating much the way they were before. Berkshire has also helped finance deals before — most recently during the financial crisis of 2008, when he made lucrative deals for Berkshire when few other companies had cash.

Berkshire's biggest acquisition ever was its $26.3 billion purchase of BNSF railroad in 2010. Before that, it was the $16 billion stock purchase of reinsurance giant General Re in 1998.

Heinz shareholders will receive $72.50 in cash for each share of common stock they own. Based on Heinz's number of shares outstanding, the deal is worth $23.3 billion excluding debt. Including debt assumption, Heinz valued the transaction at $28 billion.

The per-share price for the deal represents a 20 percent premium to Heinz's closing price of $60.48 on Wednesday. Heinz said the deal was unanimously approved by its board. Buffett said on CNBC that Berkshire is putting $12 billion to $13 billion into the deal. But he noted that Berkshire will still have room to make more acquisitions because its businesses continually replenish its cash supply.

"Anytime we see a deal is attractive and it's our kind of business and we've got the money, I'm ready to go," Buffett said.

The deal is expected to close in the third quarter.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Is anyone concerned that Berkshire is getting too big?

I mean think of the evil represented by Bain Capital and companies like that. Why is Warren Buffet's aquisition activities good, but Mitt Romney's was somehow evil?

Just askin'

Last edited:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Being in food, why would he want to get into food? Is something else under the Heinz umbrella? Payoff for Kerry? My head is spinnin here.

grizzer

Is anyone concerned that Berkshire is getting too big?

I mean think of the evil represented by Bain Capital and companies like that. Why is Warren Buffet's aquisition activities good, but Mitt Romney's was somehow evil?

Just askin'

Bain levered up and gutted the companies.

Buffet actually manages and grows the business

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Bain levered up and gutted the companies.

Buffet actually manages and grows the business

An opinion not supported by facts.

Bain Capital grew companies. Just as Berkshire has done.
Sometimes that means closing down bad operations. Just as Berkshire has done.

There is no essential difference in the way both operated. Except tha one is a friend of the GOP and one isn't.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Buffett owning Heinz is just a good reason to switch to RED GOLD brand ketchup!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Buffett owning Heinz is just a good reason to switch to RED GOLD brand ketchup!
I buy W Ketchup online. Best ever.

http://www.wketchup.com/

W KetchupAbout W Ketchup™ Place an Order News Press Comments FAQ Contact Us

One Flavor:
American

W Ketchup™ is made in America, from ingredients grown in the USA.
freedomalliance.gif
A portion of every sale is donated to the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund, which provides scholarships for the children of active duty service members killed in the line of duty.

W Ketchup is America’s Ketchup™

footer.gif

©2010 W Ketchup, LLC​

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Being in food, why would he want to get into food? Is something else under the Heinz umbrella? Payoff for Kerry? My head is spinnin here.

Great question,

I think this is his first food aquisition. I read the RR's are for sale.

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Great question,

I think this is his first food aquisition. I read the RR's are for sale.

Regards, Kirk

That can't be true. I just read that Buffet only "manages and grows" companies.:whistling:

BTW Buffet owns some Coca Cola and some Proctor and Gamble. About 25% of his porfolio. Both are in the food industry.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc, I've never heard of "W" ketchup.

RED GOLD is an Indiana grown and produced brand. The ketchup is the best flavored ketchup I've ever tried, they also make great canned tomato products, their STEWED TOMATOES are fantastic.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc, I've never heard of "W" ketchup.

RED GOLD is an Indiana grown and produced brand. The ketchup is the best flavored ketchup I've ever tried, they also make great canned tomato products, their STEWED TOMATOES are fantastic.

I am already a RED Gold Fan.

Just found "W" ketchup back when Kerry was running for Prez. You can only buy it on line.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I wonder if he sees hard times ahead, or at least sluggish times. Food and fuel are essentials. He is already well exposed in the energy segment of the market. Maybe this is his grand entry into another essential staple, food. If so, this is just the beginning...:whistling:

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if he sees hard times ahead, or at least sluggish times. Food and fuel are essentials. He is already well exposed in the energy segment of the market. Maybe this is his grand entry into another essential staple, food. If so, this is just the beginning...:whistling:

Regards, Kirk

I don't see the same tea leaves here.

Buffet is selling his ConocoPhillips and Exon stocks.

Nothing conspirital going on.

grizzer

An opinion not supported by facts.

Bain Capital grew companies. Just as Berkshire has done.
Sometimes that means closing down bad operations. Just as Berkshire has done.

There is no essential difference in the way both operated. Except tha one is a friend of the GOP and one isn't.

I've been inside both Bain and Buffet acquisitions...

Bain sucks.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been inside both Bain and Buffet acquisitions...

Bain sucks.

I don't have a clue what "inside" means

I do know what investment of capital means.

Both Bain and Bershire Hathway are investment firms. But they operate at different ends of the capitalistic system. One invests in up and coming companies while the other attempts to rescue companies in trouble.

Suggesting Bain is some how evil, depite a 77% success rate at saving otherwise defunctor failing operations is like suggesting a surgeon is evil because 23% of his high risk patients die.

You are suggesting the strip miner is a hero because he hurts nothing to build new cars and the scrapper is evil because he melts down classic but useless old Buicks. Both are in the business of providing fresh materials from latent resources. Both are neccesary to create wealth , remove waste and rejuvinate an economy.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't see the same tea leaves here.

Buffet is selling his ConocoPhillips and Exon stocks.

Nothing conspirital going on.

Maybe selling his petroleum stocks to pay for Heins? His is big in natural gas and pipelines for energy exposure....Refined liquid fuels margins fall in a sluggish economy, unless we are exporting large volumes. Those oil stocks have done well. Time for profit taking?

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Berkshire sold miscellaneous small spur RR's as required to close the deal for BNSF.

I was under the impression they owned BNSF for years now...With coal a shrinking market, with Obummer and EPA, RR's are over capacity by alot. Shakeout ahead??

Regards, Kirk

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
heinz is a building i pass most days.
i could gripe- i shall refrain. there is continuous debate here (pgh.) over that place.

grizzer

I was under the impression they owned BNSF for years now...With coal a shrinking market, with Obummer and EPA, RR's are over capacity by alot. Shakeout ahead??

Regards, Kirk

BNSF is booming freight & tankers ~ 15 mins on the NW main haul route. Lots of oil in ND these days.

Buffet lost his coveted AAA credit rating buying (above market) the 1/2 of BNSF he did not own. I still don't know why.