• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Guy - New Adventure - Thiokol Spryte Project & Plans (Utah)

cruiseroutfit

Site Supporter
I've been dreaming of a cat for many years and I was finally brave (dumb?) enough to bid on one at auction a few months back. Low and behold I won and soon we were hauling it home.

What I do know:
Thiokol Sprtye with a customized cab
Ford I6 mated to an auto (still need to sort which one)
C-4 differential
Newer tracks with aluminum trousers

Most of you will know far more than that just looking at it. I've not found any data tags but presume it's a mid-late 60's?

I've since picked up a tilt deck original Thiokol trailer. It needs some bearing/wiring love so I haven't loaded the Spryte yet but based on dimensions and the previous owner I'm confident it should fit.

Now for pics!

20190924_124156.jpg

20190921_093632.jpg

20190921_093533.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice trailer, nice cat. Make sure your tow vehicle is heavy enough, sure don't want the tail wagging the dog.

cruiseroutfit

Site Supporter
Nice trailer, nice cat. Make sure your tow vehicle is heavy enough, sure don't want the tail wagging the dog.

The Land Cruiser pictured is rated to tow 8500lbs but I don't know that I would ever be comfortable in that realm? I suspect the trailer is in the 1500-2000lb range and the cat in the 4500lb range? Think I'm way off? As soon. As I get the bearings on the trailer fixed up I'll take it to the scales and find out.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are redoing the trailer axle bearings, do yourself a favor and scrap the CA wheels and rims and get the replacement brake drum set up with eight on 6.5inch. The rims on that trailer were made for moving mobile homes one time and then tossed. I found it impossible to keep them tight as the rims would deform from torqueing down the lugs and then deform more with miles of use. You can still use the same axles. The easier way to go, buy new axles and eBay those ones.

cruiseroutfit

Site Supporter
If you are redoing the trailer axle bearings, do yourself a favor and scrap the CA wheels and rims and get the replacement brake drum set up with eight on 6.5inch. The rims on that trailer were made for moving mobile homes one time and then tossed. I found it impossible to keep them tight as the rims would deform from torqueing down the lugs and then deform more with miles of use. You can still use the same axles. The easier way to go, buy new axles and eBay those ones.

I’ve been looking at doing just that. ETrailer has conversion hubs. I need to pull one off and measure the spindle and verify the brakes will still work.

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Just wonder what the neighbors are saying when that's sitting in the front yard? You're ready :shitHitFan:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
great people hauler,
it is all about the smiles per mile, and you got the right machine for that,

and yes Dan is the right person to talk with and have help out, good honest man...

LakeTucker

Does this mean I am not the "new guy" anymore? LOL Congrats welcome to the club. They didn't warn me, it's wickedly addicting. Already looking at more Cats here.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does this mean I am not the "new guy" anymore? LOL Congrats welcome to the club. They didn't warn me, it's wickedly addicting. Already looking at more Cats here.

it's better if your colorblind and can't see orange.:poke:

PJL

I run a 1988 LMC 1200. A newer version of yours. Narrow tracks. 5-6 person cab. 6 if they are no bigger than kindergartners. It weighs 7,600 lbs with a full tank of gas.

Welcome aboard.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

don't worry, think you will be a new guy till we see how you run your machine, and with many, they have been running for many many years and then they join the forums, thinking they were the new guy, ha ha ha, it is all about experience behind the controls.....

cruiseroutfit

Site Supporter
I run a 1988 LMC 1200. A newer version of yours. Narrow tracks. 5-6 person cab. 6 if they are no bigger than kindergartners. It weighs 7,600 lbs with a full tank of gas.

Welcome aboard.

Ok, so quite a but heavier than I had concluded. Thanks for the intel.

LakeTucker

don't worry, think you will be a new guy till we see how you run your machine, and with many, they have been running for many many years and then they join the forums, thinking they were the new guy, ha ha ha, it is all about experience behind the controls.....

While this is my first Vintage Tucker at home, My Tucker Journey started over 20 yrs ago running a Tucker 2000 for one of our local Snowmobile Clubs, We had one with the Chrysler Industrial at first, then Diesel. I ran that and our Tucker 1000 for years with Mogul Master Drags. As life got busy with my daughter and other life events I had to step back from grooming. I joined a new club last season after they saw me at the controls of a groomer at the NH show, so While I am new Owner, I have some substantial hours at the controls. I will accept I am one of the newbies til I can get my trail cred in the 1642me :)
So basically Trailbuilder, Loggah and a couple others are really to blame here for me getting my own. LOL

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
While this is my first Vintage Tucker at home, My Tucker Journey started over 20 yrs ago running a Tucker 2000 for one of our local Snowmobile Clubs, We had one with the Chrysler Industrial at first, then Diesel. I ran that and our Tucker 1000 for years with Mogul Master Drags. As life got busy with my daughter and other life events I had to step back from grooming. I joined a new club last season after they saw me at the controls of a groomer at the NH show, so While I am new Owner, I have some substantial hours at the controls. I will accept I am one of the newbies til I can get my trail cred in the 1642me :)
So basically Trailbuilder, Loggah and a couple others are really to blame here for me getting my own. LOL

those are all good people and you are lucky to have them as friends

see, just as I thought, you are not a newbie, but rather a old hand at the controls, but if you want to think of yourself as a newbie, you are most welcome too, just let it be known, we all now know, you know your way around a snow cat

good to have new folks on the forums....

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Fame or infamous?

Yes, that is me. A driveway full of Land Cruisers and a snow cat. More projects than I can complete in a lifetime :D

Fame- absolutely! You have near legendary status on Mud. I think it was at least 15 years ago, but I bought something from you and we met when I picked it up. Great to do business with, and a darn nice guy!

cruiseroutfit

Site Supporter
I had a great chat with Dan @ Snowcat Service this afternoon, he is a wealth of knowledge and knew some back history of the machine.

I wasn’t sure it had the original 170ci but Dan was quite certain it has a later/large Ford and sure enough it looks like the 250cc mated to a C4 auto. I need to have some snowy runway to toy with the transmission as I’m not able to get it into all gears. I get P-R-N-D but not the 2-1 positions. So perhaps it’s setup only to go right into drive but it wasn’t shifting when I’ve moved it around. Time to tinker. :D

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh they are pretty used to crazy vehicles around the house. It was only on the lawn for a few hours :D

Well as someone once said, if all of reality were just a simulation it would perhaps be good for one to be "interesting ", one might get to play longer that way. My endeavor anyway :smile:

I think we met briefly at the auction, I bought the Patrol there. Not that I've seen a lot when it comes to snowcats but I remember thinking when I was checking out that cat at the auction, I really liked the cabin on that cat. Good design, roomy, visablity, access, aesthetics, of ones I've seen. Im sure you'll get any wrinkles ironed out with your cat, enjoy and hope to see you at one of the cat gatherings. I'm pretty new here myself, but welcome to the forums.