• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wood Splitter - Yes or No

Does 3ph driven wood splitters make sense?

• Splitter for the B7800 (or other similar machine) 3PH will be fine?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The guy is right, buy a splitter with it's own power/hydraulics?

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Irrelevant: Other: Who cares: Explain please?

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DAP

An aquaintance of mine is vehemently opposed to me putting a 3ph hydraulically drivin wood splitter on the back of my B7800 for the following reasons:

1. That machine does not have the necessary gpm to drive a splitter that will perform fast enough to make it worth it

2. If the splitter is attahched to the tractor, you will have to disconnect EVERY TIME it in order to move the wood you just split (this assumes you are using a trailer or other thing to put the chord wood into)

3. Says it's better to have a splitter with it's own motor and own hydraulics becase of 1 and 2 above.

What are the opinions of my fellow FFers?

HGM

I agree with Av8r, also from everything I have heard.. Now, from my personal experience, needing only a couple chords of wood per year, I cant justify buying one at all.. My local rental place will supply me with a properly maintained, stored, guaranteed not to fail(or my money back) splitter each year for $75 per day(if I rememer correctly from last year, definitly less than $100).. I pick it up on the Saturday afternoon before a Monday holiday. This way I get it for Saturday evening, all day Sunday and Monday, then return it Tuesday morning for the 1day charge. I also split the charge with my buddy since we do about 4chords between us.. Guess it depends on how much you need it, but this works well for me..

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had both. The 3 pt. splitter sucked! Besides of the issue of tying up your tractor, the tractor always seems in the way, you'll end up bending or breaking a rear fender, you burn way more fuel than needed to just split wood, and the splitter is about as fun as a PHD to hook up. I was thrilled to dump mine to a friend of a friend a couple of years ago. I've been very pleased with my little ole 31 ton stand alone splitter ever since. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to go. I see no reason to even build a 3 pt. splitter other than just because it can be done.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
I've been very pleased with my little ole 31 ton stand alone splitter ever since. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to go. I see no reason to even build a 3 pt. splitter other than just because it can be done.

Ditto, our logging outfit is 2 quads, portable 28 ton splitter and a 6 foot trailer. Tractor drags the logs outta the woods..........:D

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doug,

I'm with everyone else for the reasons already noted.

I just leave my splitter in the wood shed and queue up all the loaded trailers in front of the shed. I can split whenever I want by just firing up the splitter.

Greg (HGM) - at those rental fees, it's probably cheaper in the long run for you to buy one.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
I've had both. The 3 pt. splitter sucked! Besides of the issue of tying up your tractor, the tractor always seems in the way, you'll end up bending or breaking a rear fender, you burn way more fuel than needed to just split wood, and the splitter is about as fun as a PHD to hook up. I was thrilled to dump mine to a friend of a friend a couple of years ago. I've been very pleased with my little ole 31 ton stand alone splitter ever since. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to go. I see no reason to even build a 3 pt. splitter other than just because it can be done.

My wife has been wanting to buy a stand alone trailer log splitter for some time. I have been telling her it would be best to just buy a compact tractor and use it to power the hydraulic log splitter. Now I won't ever get my compact tractor. Thanks everyone!!!!:(

Back to the drawing board to find a way to convice her we really need the little tractor...

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Buy a decent axe

Then you can use the tractor to do whatever.

HGM

bczoom said:
Greg (HGM) - at those rental fees, it's probably cheaper in the long run for you to buy one.

In theory, your 100% correct.. I thought long and hard about it, I only need it once a year and I split that cost with my buddy. It comes out to approx $40 per year and I dont have to maintain it, store it, repair it, loan it, or tell anyone they cannot borrow it.. For me it works out better not having it, my BIL is the type of guy who would borrow it and return it with a blown up engine or bent track, or something:pat: .. So, in the long run $40 per year is pretty reasonable.. Just another take on it, I guess..:thumb:

Grooming Snow

Rent is the way to go :thumb: Or be like my Dumb ASS friend :pat: Wants to save money on his heating bill! So he went out to buy !! The list 1 new chain saw $500.00 , 1 wood spliter trailer type $995.00 got that on sale, 1 out side wood burning stove $12750.00 that was installed price , because he didn't have time to do it , had to make fire wood , 1 used pick up because don't want to dent up his good truck $5500.00 travels about 120 miles round trip to the county forest to get free wood .:whistle: The good part he goes out cuts a load of wood , fills the truck with wood but ends up smashing his gas can, so now it,s leaking , sets it on top of the load wood in the back of the truck ,also puts chain saw back their, and after all that hard work and that big load of wood. :D Time to sit back and have a cold one:burp: and a smoke.
Leaking gas can + Beer + cigarette =:tiphat: 1 big fire & no truck no new chain saw no wood that he got for free:yum:
But he is going to save a shit load of money on his heating bill !!!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Grooming Snow said:
Rent is the way to go :thumb: Or be like my Dumb ASS friend :pat: Wants to save money on his heating bill! So he went out to buy !! The list 1 new chain saw $500.00 , 1 wood spliter trailer type $995.00 got that on sale, 1 out side wood burning stove $12750.00 that was installed price , because he didn't have time to do it , had to make fire wood , 1 used pick up because don't want to dent up his good truck $5500.00 travels about 120 miles round trip to the county forest to get free wood .:whistle: The good part he goes out cuts a load of wood , fills the truck with wood but ends up smashing his gas can, so now it,s leaking , sets it on top of the load wood in the back of the truck ,also puts chain saw back their, and after all that hard work and that big load of wood. :D Time to sit back and have a cold one:burp: and a smoke.
Leaking gas can + Beer + cigarette =:tiphat: 1 big fire & no truck no new chain saw no wood that he got for free:yum:
But he is going to save a shit load of money on his heating bill !!!
I see they still haven't found the cure for stupidity.

It's a real shame.

JimR

Charter Member
Can you say Darwin Award.

I have both types of splitters. The 3ph one I made. It is slower than what I would like because of the tractor hydraulics. I also have a trailer mounted self powered unit made by Super Split. Check them out for the fastest splitter made. It has a 2.5 second time cycle. I bought mine used.
http://www2.primushost.com/~logsplit/principle.html

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
JimR said:
It has a 2.5 second time cycle.
Help me out here...

Isn't that a little too fast? Don't know about you but I'm getting too old/slow to go much faster than a normal speed splitter.

That speed also doesn't sound safe if you need to balance the log or if the wood splits easy and pops apart (sending split chunks flying).

JimR

Charter Member
The wedge is narrow on this splitter. I've only had a few pieces pop out of the last 3-4 cords that I split with it. I can say the same for my hydraulic splitter thowing pieces when they pop. The logs stay put and you can keep a hand on top of them to hold them in place if necessary.