• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Silver just blew past $37/ounce

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wish I bought a bunch of it a few years back...

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html

NOTE: This gif image is animated so it'll show current pricing.

silver.gif

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Damn! It's getting expensive to kill vampires!
080509-170438-196007.jpg

Plenty of food, water and ammo. I can't figure out why if Gold and Silver are so valuable, why would anyone accept fiat currency/digital $ for it? I can see where folks might think they need it but why sell it?

We have a little silver but it is not much and only in coins we collected years ago. If the dollar collapses and necessities become rare, it seems folks will be bartering for goods not gold/silver. I would think a garage full of toilet paper would be a better investment than gold/silver. I might relinquish a few eggs for the luxury of toilet paper.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
080509-170438-196007.jpg

Plenty of food, water and ammo. I can't figure out why if Gold and Silver are so valuable, why would anyone accept fiat currency/digital $ for it? I can see where folks might think they need it but why sell it?

We have a little silver but it is not much and only in coins we collected years ago. If the dollar collapses and necessities become rare, it seems folks will be bartering for goods not gold/silver. I would think a garage full of toilet paper would be a better investment than gold/silver. I might relinquish a few eggs for the luxury of toilet paper.

But if you were the producer of toilet paper, and everyone wanted some, how many eggs and vegetables and other services would you need?
At one point you would have a customer that makes photo frames come to you and offer 3 photo frames for 1 roll of toilet paper. But your walls are covered in photos in frames. No deal. - Unless you want to start filling a warehouse full of un-needed items.
Gold and silver are a store of value. As an alternative to loading up on un-needed trade items, you take say: a tenth of an ounce of silver for a roll of toilet paper. When you collect enough, instead of going to an automobile manufacture, and offering 10,000 rolls in exchange for a car - you offer silver. (or gold) which that auto producer can in return also use to trade for goods and services. (like paying employees who will in return use it to buy food etc.)

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
080509-170438-196007.jpg

Don't confuse investing with planning for the future TEOTWAWKI.

I bought silver because it had a positive outlook for providing profit to me. I might use some of the profit from my silver investments to buy toilet paper and ammunition, but the silver is still just an investment vehicle.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't confuse investing with planning for the future TEOTWAWKI.

I bought silver because it had a positive outlook for providing profit to me. I might use some of the profit from my silver investments to buy toilet paper and ammunition, but the silver is still just an investment vehicle.
I got to get into the safe and see how much of that silver I still have left. I bought it ages ago at $4-5, and just stuck it in the bottom of the safe in a box. Maybe it's time for that Rock Island .45 ACP I was looking at, and a couple thousand rounds to go with it. Might as well get that Hi-Point .45 carbine so i have a set...side arm and rifle in the same caliber. sweeeeeet!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump

We're not even 3 weeks later and it blew past $41.

My guess is it's either going to double again or get cut to 1/2 before the year is out.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I just sold 20 bars last week at 40.61 and some coin purchased at the same time. I paid 7.68 for each of the bars.

Do not care if it goes up or down now. The bars are out of my desk.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was posted in another thread, but the push today is said to be because something about Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa getting together and dropping the US dollar as the standard for exchange.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Just watch the trend boys and girls....next copper ect....hold tight but do not hold on to much longer this bubble is about to go bust.....China is buying it all up and China is swollen with over expectations.

Kane

I just sold 20 bars last week at 40.61 and some coin purchased at the same time. I paid 7.68 for each of the bars.

Do not care if it goes up or down now. The bars are out of my desk.
Nice call, REDDOG. Just minutes before the dump to the $28 bottom. Sweet. In any event, silver is climbing it's way back up to $40 where it should be.

The thing about PM's over the last two or three years is its delightful march upward (doubling) while inflation stays flat. What this says is that the 'value' of gold and silver has risen and is real, not just a reaction to the decline of the USD. Once inflation sets in (maybe even hyper-inflation) everyone will scream while the 'price' of PM's skyrockets. That's all well and good, but the true increase in 'value' is happening right now.

In other words, fear is a wonderful thing.