• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Perspective

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Perspective
“Imagine you were born in 1900. On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million. On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war. At 50, the Korean War starts. 5 million perish. At 55 the Vietnam War begins and doesn’t end for 20 years. 4 million people perish in that conflict. On your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, should have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening. When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? When you were a kid in 1985 and didn’t think your 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. And how mean that kid in your class was. Yet they survived through everything listed above. Perspective is an amazing art, refined as time goes on, and enlightening like you wouldn’t believe. Let’s try and keep things in perspective."
——
Author unknown

Attachments

• Perspective.jpg
    Perspective.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 84

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Good perspective. I remember sitting with my great grandfather who was born in 1898 and talking to him about all those events and where he was at the time. He lived to 104.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my gramps born in 1898 shoveled gravel near dawson Y.T. 1901 in for $10 a day

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
And thru all the crises and wars those same people saw technological advances from the horse and buggy to powered flight to a man on the moon.
Mike

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Great post, Doc.

My Dad told me a lot of those things. He was born in 1903. Dad was 45 when I was born in 1947.

When Pearl Harbor was bombed, Dad enlisted in the Navy. He lied about his age. HE WAS TOO OLD. Yep...that's the way that generation was.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My grandfather was only 16 when he lied about his age and enlisted for ww2. I believe he was stationed in Holland building bridges as well as being on a clean up crew going in after the battle to clean up the field and recover bodies.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My father was born in 1909. He lived through those times. It shaped his whole life and how he lived it.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
My dad was born in 1911. I don't remember my parents, relatives or friends their age complaining about what they had to go through.
Mike