• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ST4 Basic Infirmation Required

oilline

Hello, i am completely new to Snow Tracs and have just been to look at one for sale locally here in the UK. It is a 1970 ST4 which has a 1.9 VW diesel conversion which looks to of been done quite well. It has a dealer plaque saying it was supplied new by Alexander MacClarty and a plate on the back saying Sweden ST4 00091.

My question is about how to drive, in particular change gear and brake. is it just the same as a car, ie dip the clutch to change gear, will these things free wheel and how do they brake?

On my very brief test drive i noticed that the brake and clutch pedal moved together as if they were linked. Is this normal? If so i dont understand how to change gear on the go as when the clutch is depressed the brakes will operate?

Any idea on how to place a value on it. The tracks and running gear looked pretty good, the front drive sprockets were very good. Cab a bit rusty with the roof corners having some fiber glass repairs.

Any advice would be greatly appretiated.

nwerring

Use a lot of rust/penetrating oil on the pedal shaft to free the pedals.Should be a small hole to put the oil in.. Drives just like a car, but VERY important not to turn the steering wheel while stationary!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
clutch and brake work on a common axis you will need to free up the sleave that is attached to the brake pedal so that it moves independently of the clutch