• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow trac vw carb heat tube leaks

Sno-Surfer

any ideas on a good way to run the exhaust? I planned to run it straight forward down thru the floor and up by the back door. a lot less turns and clearance shouldn't be an issue.

That is how mine is run. No issues with it for me. Happy to take any photos of photos of it if you want.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got the engine in and going good. almost done and noticed lots of play in my drive chain. so I ordered new metric ones at $20 ft.
lyndon said it was the worst worn drive chain he has seen.
jim

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got the engine in and going good. almost done and noticed lots of play in my drive chain. so I ordered new metric ones at $20 ft.
lyndon said it was the worst worn drive chain he has seen.
jim

How are the sprockets? Still available anywhere? Can they be flipped around? Can only imagine it's like a motorcycle - putting a fresh chain on worn out sprockets will cut the chain life in half.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
where did you get the chain Jim, mine now needs new chain I have it leased out to the bering sea gold crew and it popped a chain the other day. I inspected it found bushings bad on my chains. I fixed it but now will need new chain too

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
where did you get the chain Jim, mine now needs new chain I have it leased out to the bering sea gold crew and it popped a chain the other day. I inspected it found bushings bad on my chains. I fixed it but now will need new chain too

I sent you mail with the details.
jim

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I finished my 1600 upgade . we'll find out when I make a run in my pasture tomorrow. that's after a little clean up .
notice the new chains aren't covered in grease yet.
DSC01620.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
airhorn rubber seal came from new chev pickup at the wreckin yard . hand crank nut from lyndons forgotten stash.

Sno-Surfer

I think I finished my 1600 upgade . we'll find out when I make a run in my pasture tomorrow. that's after a little clean up .
notice the new chains aren't covered in grease yet.
DSC01620.jpg

Looks great! Are you running two fuel filters?
Also just my two cents but I find depending on what carb you have that either a svda or DVDA distributor really makes these motors run smooth, especially on the low end. I'm guessing you have a .009 on there.
Real curious what you think of the upgraded motor. Maybe we could organize all the snow tracs for a drag race at timberline! :biggrin:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a fuel shut off switch that works with the ignition . this stops the gravity flow of fuel if my carb leaks. it looks like a filter on the side wall.
I may switch to electronic and replace the distributor with the electronic one. they seem to be better than the conversion.it will not happen till later in the year.
I haven't run it more than load and unload . but I am looking forward to taking off in 4th gear.
tranny was 2qts low. i'm a little worried about that.
jim

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
even though I put new seals in when I had the trans rebuilt I still have a little seepage I just add a half to full quart per season in theory it should keep the chain lubed. mine is now worn out.

Sno-Surfer

I like the fuel cut off idea.

My tranny was also low when I checked it for the first time this year. A good two quarts at least. I need to check it again but it's working just fine. I think most of my leakage is from the lower variator connections, there's three bolts on each one and they are always working themselves loose.