• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

St4 rear wheel acorn washer

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone know where to buy the acorn washer for the rear composite wheels? I need 1 a couple spares would be nice also

willd

We used to be able to buy big acorn washers at Napa back in the day. They were in the big orange boxes they kept all of the pins and bushing stuff in.

If all else fails, the Dodge dually's from the 80's used a 5/8 lug nut. Some of them had giant built in flanges on them for the coined wheels. They are kind of an acorn shape on some of them. Just make sure you get the right thread. Some are left hand thread, others are right hand.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone know where to buy the acorn washer for the rear composite wheels? I need 1 a couple spares would be nice also

I am thinking about a metal lathe, some medium carbon material (shank of a grade 5 bolt :smile:) with the compound set to the out side taper of one of the other washers...

Bore the hole for the stud, and cut off the tapered section to length..

Wouldn't take long to make. Cheap to..

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
With machine shop prices around here that is prob going to be a 100$ washer is the problem

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any ideas how to make the inside taper?

The same as the outside taper, with the compound rest set at the angle of the taper...

When do you have to have it? Getting ready for Michigan, snow storm here Tuesday. Dig out Wednesday, and leaving Thursday morning, early..

My machine is but feet away from my turning lathe. I owe you a favor to boot.. Any chance you could wait for me a bit??

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
The same as the outside taper, with the compound rest set at the angle of the taper...

When do you have to have it? Getting ready for Michigan, snow storm here Tuesday. Dig out Wednesday, and leaving Thursday morning, early..

My machine is but feet away from my turning lathe. I owe you a favor to boot.. Any chance you could wait for me a bit??

Regards, Kirk

I am in no hurry at my speed it will be lucky if my st4 hits the snow this year

jask

Hey Don , if you have a chance can you post up a pic and a few measurements before you mail them?

Thanks
John

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well as luck would have it I broke a rear stud on the hub, and lost that taper washer for my aluminum wheels. Also had 3 others loose... I had been hearing a popping noise in that rear corner for some time, that would come and then go, then come back again. It seemed to be getting worse. But on quick e+amination I had found nothing loose or out of place. :unsure: After a 10 mile run that turned out to be the last one of the season .. I saw the broken stud... I did see however that this year I put over 100 hrs. on the ST4..

There is one hole in the wheel that has suffered some wallowing out, it is the one the stud broke on. For that one I made a "acorn" washer from some 1144 stress proof shaft. It larger outside diameter is right at 1" and the taper is 60 deg.. I set my compound rest for 60 and used it to cut the taper on the outside. I bored the center hole to 7/16".. Ne+t, I then put on a small boring bar in the tool post and again using the compound only bored the 60 deg. angle into the center hole. By measuring the thickness of an original acorn washer, I knew when to quit. Parted it off, easily as I cut the outside taper with the small end towards the headstock, large end toward the tailstock... And of course the inside taper the same way, forming a "bowl" of straight sides..

I will be checking the fit of the acorn washers to the wheel on the bench very carefully, and maybe messaging the hole in the wheel a bit to clean up minor damage. I will do this test fit to each hole in the wheel, along with the washer that will be used for that stud. I need to make sure that it is really clamping the wheel to the hub, not getting hung up at the bottom of the tapered hole in the wheel and pinching it on deformed wheel stud holes.. Might use some machinist's blue to help me get good contact with the wheel. I had better check each one carefully for fit. And retorque it frequently for a while after each run to take up any wearing in of these acorn washers.

Just wanted to let you guys know this isn't a hard part to make. The second and third one's go much faster than the first.

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

willd

You lost me at "I put it in my lathe". So far I have not made that leap yet... Otherwise, great tech tip.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
You lost me at "I put it in my lathe". So far I have not made that leap yet... Otherwise, great tech tip.

I'm not certain you can own a ST-4 without a lathe and mill or at least easy access to one.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not certain you can own a ST-4 without a lathe and mill or at least easy access to one.

This is true of older machines in general I think... :flowers:

It sure can save you time and money to be able to make some of the parts that are no longer available, and hard to find. :smile:

Knowing how to run those machines to make parts is another skill set that is well worth the time an effort to develope. I learned most of what I know just reading books. Over the years this has served me well..:smile:

Besides with the forum, we can net work, and some of us who can make these small parts can make and provide them for others who can not... :flowers:

Regards, Kirk