• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WHAT'S GOING ON AT THE TUCKER FACTORY

Jeffsno27

The steel tracks are 38" wide the rubber tracks are 26" wide. The wide tracks are pretty hard to beat in the condition we were in.

The freighter is coming along I will try to get more pictures posted today.

Jeffsno27

We are using screws on this one so its a bit of a slow process.

20170504_124730_resized.jpg

something that would nice to see from the tucker factory---seeing how they have time to restore old cat----what about building a small cat that could take the place of clubs trying to groom with side by sides that have no power and cant pull a drag that does anything----lets think about something here-----most clubs that say they cant groom with a big cat is----ARE TRAILS ARE TO NARROW AND NOT STRAIGHT----bunch of bs in my book---but lets face it tuckers are the best to groom in the woods---so how about a small tucker----I have a sv200 and a geo tracker on mattracks----my geo goes great in the woods grooming---I almost never groom with the sv200----to jerky in the wood going around trees------even a small tucker with just the frt. turning would work great---here in ny state I cant believe they fund trails being groomed with sbs----its a joke and how stupid do you have to be to volunteer to groom and freeze your a-- off grooming with a machine and drag that does nothing----lol

Jeffsno27

Had a great visit from a gentleman named Forest Wells! He gave us some great pictures of the 1948 Operation Snow-Cat Cascade and one of a Red Hill Snow Survey. Thought I would share them. :smile:

2103_001.jpg

2101_003.jpg

2100_001.jpg

2099_001.jpg

2101_001.jpg

2101_002.jpg

2104_001.jpg

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In relation to the last photo of the Bromley 624-

From an article "Snowcats & the death of moguls"
(https://skibums.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/snowcats-and-the-death-of-moguls/)

"The “ideal” purpose for these early vehicles was thought to be transportation and as utility vehicles for logging. The idea of using snowcats for grooming ski slopes only came later. In 1947 Big Bromley Ski Resort purchased a Tucker Sno-cat to haul spectators to the top of the mountain so they could dazzle at the three-state view. They would then meander down the mountain stopping at points so visitors could watch those crazy skiers coming down the hill. Snowcats are still used to haul people up the hill. However, instead of transporting non-skiers, snowcats have become a fairly affordable way people can experience the joys of the backcountry."

Last edited:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Also in the last photo is this cat:

http://ascutneyoutdoors.org/history/

"1947-48: The rope tow operation was relocated west to the present location of Mt. Ascutney Resort. The improved operation included diesel rope tows, many new trails, night skiing, and snowcat served skiing (via a 3.5 mile ride in a Tucker machine on the other side of the mountain).)

http://archive.li/8SmdN

"Despite objections from her Board, Kip purchased a Tucker Sno-Cat for mountain maintenance and snow grooming. Many on the board saw it as an expensive extravagance, and not something the area should have been investing in at such an early time in it's development. It was a "shocking pink" and according to Kip, "it photgraphed well in color". It was also used to take skiers up the toll road (at a dollar a run) for a 3-1/2 mile run from the top of the mountain. It was nicknamed "MASA", which was just an abbreviation for Mt.Ascutney Ski Area. Two years later it was traded in for another model, yellow this time, and also used for hayrides and private parties apart from it's ski duties."

Attachments

• ascutney-tucker-snocat.jpg
    ascutney-tucker-snocat.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 507
  • Ascutneycat.jpg
    Ascutneycat.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Sincere thanks for those links! Reading them was a trip down memory lane.

I remember both before and after Ascutney built the new base lodge. The old one was small, dark, and always crowded. The new one was big, open and had a huge wall of windows facing the mountain. It also had two large round fireplaces that skiers would sit by and warm their feet.

I don't want to hijack this (excelllent) thread, but it's interesting to think back to the late sixties and the ski industry in southern Vermont. There were a fair number of ski areas then and for the most part they were all small and none were particularly successful. Fast forward to today and some are doing very well, such as Stratton, Okemo and Killington and others such as Ascutney and Round Top are gone. Magic Mountain continues to survive, but barely. I think Bromley does okay.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lookin good there Jeff and crew. Pretty close to the real deal.

Attachments

• DSCN3176.jpg
    DSCN3176.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 347