• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

hanging up injector problem

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It sends out puffs of black smoke at random. it was in a non dealer vw shop and they said to run their additive. it still does it and i'm not sure if it stopped while running the stuff. They didn't see it do it but said it was a hanging injector
should I just replace all 4 injectors??
1.9 tdi vw diesel in my 2004 pistenbully 500hrs

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mechanical Injectors or electronic?

Betting electronic, and anyone who can plug into the system should be able to see witch one is the hanging. Replace.

Mechanical much harder to find the one, but as they are relatively cheap, do all 4.

JMHO Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you ever ran a biocide through the tank? Algae in the diesel will cause injectors to stick and misfire. It happens in diesel fuel that sits for a good portion of the year.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
no I haven't done a biocide. I have filled the 25 gal tank 4 or 5 times this winter but only 5 gallons each fill
I may just pick up new injectors at the dealer.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim two things to think about ulsd is real dry if you don't have a dpf add a cup of marvel mystery oil I have to do it with my mechanical engines also you have a bosch common rail system if I remember right because of high injection pressures the injectors are prone to blowing out they pressure relief valves if you loose one you should replace them all as the others will likely fail shortly afterward

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Todays ULSDiesel is terrible on injectors, and engines in general. We have been using Schaeffer DT2000 additive on our ranch. It increases the lubricity, lowers the gelling point, among other things. Another quick try to free sticky injectors is adding ATF to your fuel filter, just make sure your engine is at temp and the ATF it is CLEAN, like open a new bottle clean!!!

http://www.schaefferoil.com/diesel-treat-2000-winter.html

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Todays ULSDiesel is terrible on injectors, and engines in general. We have been using Schaeffer DT2000 additive on our ranch. It increases the lubricity, lowers the gelling point, among other things. Another quick try to free sticky injectors is adding ATF to your fuel filter, just make sure your engine is at temp and the ATF it is CLEAN, like open a new bottle clean!!!

http://www.schaefferoil.com/diesel-treat-2000-winter.html

We have good luck here on the farm with just adding 2 cycle engine oil, as much as a quart per 20 gallons of Diesel fuel. Tests have show this to add back the lubricity. Solvents of any kind don't do that. Many products sold for this application are in fact, solvents.

2 stoke oil is ment to be burnt, and has very little ash. Cheap and effective.

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have good luck here on the farm with just adding 2 cycle engine oil, as much as a quart per 20 gallons of Diesel fuel. Tests have show this to add back the lubricity. Solvents of any kind don't do that. Many products sold for this application are in fact, solvents.

2 stoke oil is ment to be burnt, and has very little ash. Cheap and effective.

Regards, Kirk
my end result was replacing all 4 injectors at a vw dealer injector cost of $300 for 3 and one $800. 1.9 vw tdi industrial diesel
I haven't been out on the snow yet to see what improved but did notice cranking time on warm starts improved.
I plan on adding something to the fuel to make them last longer than 500hrs but haven't chose a kind yet. I just stowed the old injectors in my shop yesterday.
is off road fuel ok to use as it is?

in the 70's on the alcan hiway to Alaska a few station owners told me they added 2cycle oil when it got cold to their power plants. after that I was just dumping a quart of atf in each tank on my 6.2 diesel chev. I was told that is old school now.
jim