• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Robin Williams attacks Catholic Priests

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This one is for Vin, and the Catholic church, by trying to cover up the transgressions of some of its priests, is defenseless against this logic.

Robin Williams Attacks Catholic Priests and Points Out Lack of Consequences

New York, Jun 20, 2007 (CNA) - Robin Williams has decided that he won't pay any consequences for ridiculing the Church in public, says The Catholic League.

Leno invited the actor on to his show to plug his upcoming movie "License to Wed," in which he plays a Protestant minister who forces a couple to go through marriage preparation courses. However, the experience of portraying a minister didn't seem to engender any respect for the clergy in him.

Williams pretended to play a game with Jay Leno where a pedophile is hidden under a cup. "Here we go. Find the priest, find the pedophile. Find the priest, find the pedophile. Here you go right now. Move 'em around, move 'em around. Oh, you found the pedophile."

Williams then put his hand over his groin, saying, "You have to realize that if you are a Catholic priest, you have retired this. That's it—no more sex." Then he took a shot at confession: "But they are going to put you in a small dark box and people are going to tell you the nastiest sexual stuff they have done."

"Isaiah Washington lashes out at one gay person in private, and he is banished from 'Grey's Anatomy.' Robin Williams lashes out against all priests in public, and he suffers no consequence.”

Pointing out that the actor has calculated the risks of targeting the Church, Donahue quoted an interview with MoviesOnline in which Williams recently said, “‘you can’t poke fun at certain religions,’ but ‘we just made major fun of the Catholic Church but hey, they don’t blow you up.’” Donahue said this makes Williams not just “a bigot and a liar” but also “a coward.”

daedong

The same with most atheist I guess, we won't blow you up either, on the other hand atheists don't have much to be poked at, no mysterious fictions just logical explainable thoughts.:respect:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
You have to realize that Robin Williams has poked fun at just about every thing in Society from marriage, religion, schools, work, death, etc. I saw the episode that evening, and he got a lot of laughs. If you are sensitive to things that he pokes fun at, then you will have a problem with it, but I take it all with a grain of salt. Just like when he poked fun about the Hasidim Jews of New York...... some got angry, but for the most part, everyone else took it for what it was..... humor, nothing more, nothing less.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The same with most atheist I guess, we won't blow you up either, on the other hand atheists don't have much to be poked at, no mysterious fictions just logical explainable thoughts.:respect:

Catholics, and for that matter most Christians, are pretty much pacifists in this type of stuff, very few show outrage. I know I snicker at Catholic jokes. But there was one line above that I found very interesting and you touched on it too.
Pointing out that the actor has calculated the risks of targeting the Church, Donahue quoted an interview with MoviesOnline in which Williams recently said, “‘you can’t poke fun at certain religions,’ but ‘we just made major fun of the Catholic Church but hey, they don’t blow you up.’” Donahue said this makes Williams not just “a bigot and a liar” but also “a coward.”
It does seem that not only do most comedians avoid Muslim jokes, but it also seems that the politicians and the press 'self edit' their words in deference to Muslims. Probably out of fear of retribution. And there seems to be enough evidence that the Muslim form of retribution involves death.

daedong

I agree with you fully on that Bob. But one must separate Muslims from non Muslims in all facets of life because there is a history of antagonism from both sides. Put another way, lets face it we (Christians) have been at war with them for a thousand years. And Robin Williams is one of "us" so that excuses him.