• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Birds and fig trees

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How do you do it?
I've tried the bird netting and have mixed feelings about it. The primary culprits in the past have been mockingbirds and threshers, which are mid-size birds.
I currently have thirty cuttings in the "rooting" process and my plans are to set them out in 80' long raised beds about 10' apart.
After they begin to produce figs, if I want any I'll need to do something to keep the birds out. What I'm thinking about is building a relatively lightweight framework to support "chicken-wire" 10' high and about 12' wide over the fig tree row. I will drop the wire netting down the sides as well, but have it temporarily anchored so that I can push it aside for maintenance such as grass cutting. I believe that I can keep the figs pruned so that the 10' high X 12' wide will be adequate.
I realize that the bird netting is a smaller mesh than chicken-wire and before I make the plunge I would like to know if you think the chicken-wire will keep the birds out...

elsmitro

floppy member
You could try to rig up some kind of flailing scarecrow or some other predatory aminal like the plastic owls or dd’s kite. Only trouble is you have to move this stuff around every few days. Netting works but it’s a pain. I have seen some small birds get through my 1” chicken wire.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've used 9" tin foil pie pans hung from a string. I did this for flocks of birds that would land in our leather-leave trees and crap all over our patio. The pans didn't stop all birds, but they sure helped. The movement makes most birds shy away.