• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

earth worms and gardens ??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Can the two be in the same raised bed ?? I am thinking of getting a bunch of worms to put in the wife's raised garden and flower beds that we will be building this year in Idaho . They will be in a 15x 18 glass green house . Will the heat kill the worms ? Will the worms eat the produce ??

I thought that this way I would have a ready supply of worms when we go fishing .
Am I making a mistake?

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Earth worms are good for gardens, they work the soil and their aftermath is good for the soil and plants.

I do not know about the glass house and the heat. As long as fans are in the house to keep the heat down to bearable levels, even when the crops are gone it should not be a problem.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I once made two worm boxes and kept them for several years. Worms are great for raised beds, compost piles, etc. In hot weather they tend to go deeper to get to their optimum temperature. They till and aeriate the soil, fertilize it for you, break down the organic matter that you add and are great for fishing. Man, they're wonderful little creatures.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Maybe you guys have an answer I've been looking for: Does rototilling kill all the worms? It seems to me when the tiller turns the top 6 inches to fine flour, there goes the worms. Is there a big difference between discing and rototilling?

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Al, go for the worms. You'll (they'll be fine) provided you keep the soil moist and you don't use chemical fertilizer.

Cali, you may have a few casualties but over all I think you'll be fine.