• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Irene Coverage 'Over-Blown?' Really?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/good_day_philadelphia/Columnist_Calls_Irene_Coverage_Overblown_082911

Updated: Monday, 29 Aug 2011, 10:28 AM EDT
Published : Monday, 29 Aug 2011, 10:16 AM EDT

PHILADELPHIA - On Monday morning's Daily News, the cover reads "Over-Blown?"
Inside, writer Will Bunch asks the question, "Did the media cause more hype than the actual storm?"
Fox 29's Sue Serio, Sheinelle Jones, Mike Jerrick and Steve Keeley provided their answers on "Good Day."

"Of course I’m going to say we didn't, and I'll tell you why," Serio began. "Because it was a hurricane of massive proportions. It was so big and, you know, you have to give people ample time to evacuate. And when you know the possibilities of what this could turn into, I say better safe than sorry. I think that most of the public officials who were speaking – using the media, by the way – to speak about this said we don't prepare for the best-case scenario. We prepare for the worst."

Jones suggested that Hurricane Katrina may have affected how we handled this one.

"The focus now is on being proactive instead of reactive, and the reaction from Katrina was not swift, at all," Serio said.
Jerrick said he doesn't think the media coverage was affected by that as much as the governors and mayors were, holding numerous news conference and being up-front.

Jones said she got mix of reactions on her Twitter account, including some people who said the coverage was overdone.
Serio pointed out that there were numerous tornado warnings on Saturday night.

Jerrick noted that an Inquirer headline over the weekend was "We're In The Crosshairs," and stated that he believes we should be thankful that North Carolina lessened the impact for all of us here.

Then, Jerrick really spoke his mind: "OK, for all of those naysayers out there, would you – do you want more than 21 people dead? Do you want more than $7 billion worth of damage? Do you want more bridges out? Do you want more trees down? Do you want more power out? Is that what you want? Would that make you happy? You can't win. You can't win in these situations."

Serio wondered aloud whether the hurricane name Irene will be retired and never used again, like Andrew or Katrina.
"I think maybe not, but I'd be interested to see," she said.
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, asked about the column when he joined "Good Day" on Monday morning, also shared his thoughts on storm-preparation criticism .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The storm may have been a little less severe but the flooding sure as hell is not. Lots of problems ongoing as the rivers blow out of their banks and cover huge areas.