• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fuel prices...

BadAttitude

Wats up wit yooze guyz???
No ones beechin about fuel costs anymore??

I figure everyone's accepted what it is...is what it is:cry:

Here in CT the cheap stuff is back down a tad...$2.55
but the soot blowin juice is still $2.99:(
Wats up wit dat:confused:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Diesel is running $3.20 to $3.25 here. Regular Gas is about $2.50.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Diesel is about $3.15 in northern Illinois.

The painful one was I talked to my heating oil supplier, and heating oil is $2.84 per gallon. Last winter was a very warm winter, and we used 1100 gallons of the black gold! Thats a $3124 heating bill for 4+ months!

:4_11_9::4_11_9:

I am actively looking at a corn burner stove for the living area. I have all the corn I could ever need only 300 ft from my front door, and the same BTU worth of corn will only cost about $600 ($1.65 per bushel).

BadAttitude

Ouch...and here I thought diesel was still too high here.:eek::eek:

Bob...what's heating oil going for?
I just checked a couple places and it's not as bad as I thought $2.27

Dave...I've always wondered if those corn burners were worth trying.
My BIL told me don't waste the $$ or time buying one. Stick with wood since I have plenty...yeah right:argueing: , HE don't have to cut and split it

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
BadAttitude said:
Dave...I've always wondered if those corn burners were worth trying. My BIL told me don't waste the $$ or time buying one. Stick with wood since I have plenty...yeah right:argueing: , HE don't have to cut and split it

The most important factor for corn and wood as heat is the availability of the fuel locally. I am surrounded by literally 10's of thousands of acres of corn fields, so it is cheap. A face cord of wood however is about $180 delivered and stacked.

If you have wood available, use it. If you have corn, then that becomes the better alternative.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BadAttitude said:
Bob...what's heating oil going for?

I have absolutely no clue. I don't think I ever knew anyone who used it. We have most homes supplied with natural gas here, even in rural areas we have natural gas (I'm several miles outside of any city and I have underground natural gas service right to my house). I suppose it is very regional but in my county natural gas is the most common. People who don't have natural gas typically have propane tanks and use that for heat.

Last edited:

BadAttitude

Interesting Bob, I didn't know gas was the standard there

Guess I need to crawl out from under my rock more often:whistle:

v8dave

Wizard
Oh, boy. Last year I filled my empty 275 gallon fuel tank with $1.45/gallon red diesel. It's used for both heating the shop and the tractor. Only used about another 25 gallons after the fill up. It'll be gone this winter I'm sure. I sure am glad I over insulated the shop. I built it with 2x6 instead of 2x4 so I could get more insulation in. The payback period just became a lot quicker.

No, you can't come over and visit.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
Yesterday I paid ($1.40au a litre) $3.97, caculated in US dollars and gallons

Vin, just curious here. Help me out.

I know in England and Europe the major cities relatively compact and are close together, mass transit is very common, and small cars and short drives are very common.

In the US, major cities are sprawling places and often hundreds of miles apart, only a few of them have more than basic mass transit, cars outside of the city centers are often large and distances to commute to work are often fairly long, distances of 20 to 40 miles each way to work & home are common for suburban and rural dwellers.

You are paying more for gas than we are, by what seems like about US$1 per gallon right now. Australia strikes me as being rather scattered with long distances more like the US than Europe in terms of the way the urban centers are spread about. But are my impressions close to accurate? And what about mass transit, the need for cars in the cities, etc?

I guess I'm asking, since you are paying 25% more for gas than we are, what are the typical driving habits, distances, etc?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Unleaded, last week-end in a neighboring town was $2.25. I just about crapped. But Diesel is hanging up there yet.

Damn I put 6 gallons of diesel in my tank and it was over $20.00:eek::eek: I can remember filling my car up with a 20 gallon tank many years ago and it was less than $10.00.:):) But I probably shouldn't talk like that because is would age me.

murph

daedong

Bob I have read on many occasions on websites, comments from Americans that visit here that our car culture is not that dissimilar to yours. I believe in general we don’t drive as large a vehicles though.

I live in a rural district so there are many more 4 WD’s though than in the cities. Common vehicles here are Toyota Land cruisers, Toyota Hilux (Tacoma) Ford Explorers and Territories, Mitsubishi Overlander, Holden Radio (about the same size as Toyota Hilux) Then there is the little throw away cars like mine Kia Sportage, Suzuki Vitara,

To give an idea last weekend it went camping in the Flinders Rangers the round trip for 4 days was about 1200Km (750miles). Of which half of that was on dirt roads.

!8 months ago I travelled on holidays for 6 weeks to the top end (northern Australia) in that time I covered about 10,000Km (6200miles)

I travel to Adelaide (our closest city) About 10 times a year to shop and go to the footy. Around trip is about 250miles.

In cities like Sydney I guess it is common to travel round trips of 60 to 100 mile to work and home.

BadAttitude

thcri said:
Unleaded, last week-end in a neighboring town was $2.25. I just about crapped. But Diesel is hanging up there yet.

Damn I put 6 gallons of diesel in my tank and it was over $20.00:eek::eek: I can remember filling my car up with a 20 gallon tank many years ago and it was less than $10.00.:):) But I probably shouldn't talk like that because is would age me.

murph

Wow, that's a big spread between the diesel and unlead...like .88 per gal?
what's heating oil there, any idea?

Heating oil was up to almost $3 per around Labor Day. I've heard it's going to go even higher this winter. Maybe close to $4?? Yikes... Some folks are going to have a real tough time staying warm this winter...

OkeeDon

Vin, well, I wondered. "Australian Rules Football" sounds rugged and manly. "Footy" sounds a little -- poofy?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This morning's fuel prices:
  • Unleaded $2.29
  • Diesel $3.39
At lunchtime the fuel prices were:
  • Unleaded $2.29
  • Diesel $2.89
What the heck could cause DIESEL to drop 50-cents a gallon in a few hours. :confused:

LarryRB

all I know is the last 5 1/2 years, we have paid a minimum of 20 to 120 more per gallon here than reg unleaded gas.. over 5 years of being robbed....

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
buckle97 said:
Fuel prices here today:

Reg Unleaded = $2.179
Diesel = $2.539

Screw this!! I'm movin' to MS!!:17875: Is that Missouri or Mississippi? Can't keep these new 2 letter states straight!:smileywac

Diesel $3.10
Gas Reg $2.20

Bob, don't know what caused it to drop .50 in an hour, wish it would here though. Maybe someone got a guilty conscience!!:smileywac

OkeeDon

I don't pay much attention to diesel prices (at least until I get my Sprinter), but the last time I got a drum of off-road diesel from the distributor it was $2.97 for off-road, with no road taxes. However, I do pay sales tax because I don't have an agri exemption, so my cost was actually over $3. I think it's come down a lot in the couple of weeks since I got that drum filled.

Regular is running around 2.59 to 2.67 in Okeechobee and about $2.75 in Port St. Lucie on the East coast. When we went over to the Sarasota area the other day, on the wrong coast of Florida, I saw $2.50 at one station; guess their taxes are lower in that county.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
YESTERDAY morning's fuel prices (at the MEIJER station):
  • Unleaded $2.29
  • Diesel $3.39
At lunchtime the fuel prices were:
  • Unleaded $2.29
  • Diesel $2.89
On my way home yesterday, and again this morning the fuel prices were:
  • Unleaded $2.26
  • Diesel $2.89
3.2 miles down the road is a SPEEDWAY gas station (which is the next station you would come to on that side of the road) last evening the prices on my way home:
  • Unleaded $2.29
  • Diesel $3.39
This morning's prices are:
  • Unleaded $2.29
  • Diesel $2.89
1 mile further south on the same road is another SPEEDWAY station (same owner) Last night & this morning's prices:
  • Unleaded $2.39
  • Dieseld $3.39

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
johnday said:
Is that Missouri or Mississippi? Can't keep these new 2 letter states straight!

It's Mississippi, and the fuel prices were unchanged this morning:a1: !

Lawrence

Viking

Site Supporter
Why doesn't diesel fuel pricing decrease like gasoline. Several weeks ago gasoline was $3.39 to $3.49 and diesel was $2.89 to $2.99 where I buy it and today gasoline is $2.19 and diesel is $2.77. WTF!!!! It's my understanding that diesel costs less to refine than gasoline but now diesel fuel is more expensive....anyone know why this is??

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Think its around $6/US gallon round here. About 90p/litre or somewhere there bouts. It doesnt change here overnight like it does for you. Havent been to a petrol station for about, what, 4 months now ;)

Mr. Buick8

I bought Shel reg UL in Tulsa Oct. 30 for $2.069. I did not look at Diesel, but it was higher. I figure it has somethign to do with increased demand for Diesel, plus switchover to low-sulfur production. Diesel does have more energy per gallon than gasoline, but not that much more. Reg UL in north Louisiana around $2.119 to $2.159 today.