• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

VW just sent me $5100

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'm pretty happy.

In 2010 I bought a VW Jetta TDI (diesel) and have been very happy with it.

It was purchase for my daughter as her high school is roughly 25 miles/40 minutes drive each way. No bus service to the school so that meant driving every day, twice a day, and I didn't really want to take her/pick her up daily if she could drive.

So now she has had that car through 2 years of driving to high school, 4 years of college and almost 1 year of law school. 123,000 miles. Average fuel economy (city/hwy) is over 35mpg. And very reliable. So hard to complain.

Well VW got caught up in the "diesel gate" scandal where they fudged the data on how clean a "clean diesel" vehicle is and had to settle with the government on paying out customers.

Apparently the age/mileage of our vehicle is worth $5100 in settlement from them ... and I still get to keep the vehicle :smile: They did have the car for a "repair" which will apparently cost us about 1mpg in reduced fuel economy, but I'll take $5100.00 in cash and consider that a good trade!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My goal when I bought that little diesel Jetta was go have a car that would make it through high school and college so I could give it to Melen as a starter car. So far its lasted, reliably, into law school and looks like it has a few more years of life left in it so I'm more than thrilled with the car, and $5100 going into my pocket is just a freaking bonus!

I would too.

I'm waiting to see what they give me for my Audi TDI

I think that might be between $8000 and $9000 for a 'settlement' so that I can keep a car that makes me smile every time I drive it :thumbup:

Looks like owning "cheating" VW's was a great thing!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Bob ...so, what kind of gun are you going to buy?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Think about it though, the EU ships us cars with falsified data and milage reports but has a conniption fit when Trump talks tarrifs. When you get right down to it, they sure have a lot of balls. Of course, they were forced into this buyout. We all know that, otherwise, screw the consumer.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Bob ...so, what kind of gun are you going to buy?

Actually I've sold off a few of my Detonics pistols. Just some of the duplicates in my collection.

Might take this VW money, and the proceeds from a few pistols and buy a compact pick up truck. I should also be getting over $8000 from VW when they "repair" my Audi diesel. Basically VW could end up paying for more than 1/2 of the cost of a new truck! Add in the proceeds of the sales of some Detonics CombatMasters and I can pay cash for a new compact pick up truck without dipping into any of my retirement savings.

Looking at the compact GMC Canyon. Not one of the fancy models, more of a base model, just for hauling stuff like softener salt, stuff from the garden center, occasionally building supplies, etc. It would replace my Touareg, which has over 160,000 and starting to have idiot lights illuminate.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahh good thinking. I like having a truck just for stuff like that. Used to have an S10, but prefer the full size, especially crew cab with a 5' bed. 6' with tail gate down. With that and a 6x12 trailer I can haul about whatever I need to cept my tractor.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since you're looking at the GMC Canyon, are you considering getting the diesel version?

I like the fact they're putting diesels in their less than 3/4 ton trucks but disappointed they're not offering it in their 1/2 ton trucks.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since you're looking at the GMC Canyon, are you considering getting the diesel version?

NOPE, as I mentioned, looking at a pretty base model. This would be our "4th" vehicle out of 5, with the '67 Jeepster getting fewer miles per year than this potential new purchase. In fact I may look at some used vehicles. The Touareg was a primary driver when we bought it but was relegated to "extra" vehicle about 2 years ago; we have 2 Audis as our daily drivers, the VW Jetta gets the next most use.

What I know I want is a 6' bed. 4 doors would be great, but I'd be very happy with 2 doors and the tiny 'jump seats' in the back. Probably put under 5000 miles a year on this so paying for the diesel doesn't make economic sense. It would be great for the fuel economy if I was using this as a primary vehicle but its going to be just a hauling truck, not a regular driver.

Also looking at the Nissan and Toyota compacts.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd stay away from the GM li'l diesel. Most of what I've heard wasn't good. But then I'm no fan of GM products.

Wish I had bought the VW diesel. Not only for the court ordered rebate, it's actually a very good car.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wish I had bought the VW diesel. Not only for the court ordered rebate, it's actually a very good car.

YUP ... glad I bought 2 of them. I got confirmation that I will get over $8000 on my 3.0L engine "emissions compliance repair" when I take that into the shop for its upgrade. That is scheduled for March 12.