• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Polaris Sportsman 700???

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you noticed how he has not complained about the knee since he got the new toy??:whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
glad he likes his toy i would rather use my jeep or snow trac on the tundra the only thing i use quads for anymore is to hunt off of i stillhook up a tow bar and tow it to base camp

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Have you noticed how he has not complained about the knee since he got the new toy??:whistling:

It still hurts like a SOB!!!:hammer:

I just like that I can get out of the house and do something without walking too far now

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,085
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,077

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
glad you are having fun but how long till it acts like a krusty and beggs you to work on it

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
glad you are having fun but how long till it acts like a krusty and beggs you to work on it

Hey now:hammer: That's just mean comparing my polaris to a krusty. I'll have you know that it has already seen more action in the snow in the past week then BigAl's Krusty collection probably will in the next 5 years.:w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
sorry i just had to poke fun i hope it orks out for you them polaris rigs are spunky with a good ride

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That they are. I know they have their problems just like any other machine out there. I do love the ride on it. Feels like I'm sitting in my recliner while going over rough terrain.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up a storage seat/backrest for this this weekend and mounted it up solid. The seat cushion is removable but it doesn't take up any room. I have lots of room on there and I'm 6'2". While shopping for the seat(which I got on a clearance sale btw:clap:), I found a fender mount storage bag also on clearance. That will come in handy for holding smaller things like ammo, hunting knife, TP, snacks and drinks, etc...

Next thing to go on will be a gun rack for the front but I won't do that till the fall unless I find one on sale now.

Attachments

• 20120409_7.jpg
    20120409_7.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,122

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Since I know we all like pictures, here are a few from my ATV trip yesterday. I drove an hour west of here to meet up with a friend:wink: and head out riding for the day up in the hills. There are bush roads that loop around the back and climb up to access the pipeline right of ways up there.
It was a gorgeous day for riding. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,028
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,037

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Be careful out there. 21 years ago on this date is when I broke my head riding gaslines in the mountains. Ended up with a lot of metal in me.:w00t2:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday was beautiful here to. Thanks for sharing the pics. What a view!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday was beautiful here to. Thanks for sharing the pics. What a view!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The view up there was amazing. I had only ever been up there a couple times in the past with a snowmobile in the winter. You wanna talk fun! Try that! There's a video of that area in the winter some friends of mine made. I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT:

Here's the video of that area in the winter. We went to the top of that hill but didn't brave going down.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cakX5MVQ1UE"]Riding at Death Valley - YouTube[/ame]

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Is your snow all gone? That view is why I live up on top. Sure is nice to see the seasons change and watch weather roll in. Real pretty country up there. What elevation is it?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
There's still snow in some areas that are shaded. But for the mostpart it's all gone. I'm not sure what the elevation is there. I'd have to look it up. It's not that high but rather the steepness of the cliffs in that area.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Still lovin the 700. With our new seasonal site being where it is, we have access to countless miles of trail right from the camper without the need for trailering. My son has his little yamaha breeze 125 which was my grandfathers before. I have the 700. So I introduced my fiancee to atv's a couple weeks ago. She loves it. Wouldn't you know it, she gives me the go ahead to start shopping for a cheap atv for her to use out at camp. I found her a nice little Polaris trail boss 250. It's in alright shape and had brand new front tires but needed new rears. I pick up the rear tires friday and plan on hauling it out to camp that evening with the family for a week of R&R.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my wife has a big boss 500 and one of my kids bought a 600 like yours they both like them but, nobody pays me to keep them running rear wheel bearings on the 6x6 are a annual pm action now, just take them out and throw them away and buy new. the 600 it had 3 separate charging problems this spring, now the cv boots have all cracked and 1 cv joint is out guess who gets to pay to fix them. my bombardier has run flawlessly with no problems since I changed the starter sprag on it and also uses less gas.

Bamby

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read where Polaris utilizes a AWD system instead of a true 4WD. I know with several manufactures a person can select true 4WD and then have the confidence that engine breaking and the front axle or wheels will provide a breaking effect when descending steep grades. I've read somewhere whereas with the Polaris AWD system the front axle may fail to engage in such a situation leaving the back axle sliding for lack of traction and a person forced to utilize their brakes to slow their downhill decent. This isn't a situation I'd like to find myself in personally I'd rather rely on a true 4WD system to do the work and leave the the hastle of utilizing breaks out of the picture.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the Polaris AWD system is an electronicly controlled sprag in each wheel which locks and unlocks as required. by doing this Polaris can get away with a cheep solid spool in the front end instead of an expensive differential or a more expensive locking differential. A sprag is a one way clutch of sorts and needs to be manipulated differently to work in reverse the reason for the override switch on the handlebars. as for the need for braking down hill it's not too necessary as there isn't much engine braking available with the Polaris belt drive system, once the throttle is closed it just freewheels. if all the tiny brakes are working the Polaris will stop well on any hill but, their brakes are so small they don't last long. the other thing is that the special hub oil in the hubs will break down and needs to be changed on a regular basis or the sprag wont work smootly and stick in and out.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Still lovin my 700. Been getting a lot of use out of it out at camp. We can go right from the camper through the campground to get to the trails. I hauled out 2 of the three atv's last weekend to camp for the summer. Went for my first ride of the season last weekend. When I got back to camp, I noticed a torn cv boot on the rear axle. So, back on the trailer it went and back to town. I replaced the boot this week and have it almost all back together. What a greasy mess that is to change a cv boot. First time doing it. Went alright except that I managed to mangle and bend the snap ring on the axle shaft that holds the bearing in place. Try finding a new snap ring. Sheesh. A city with 110,000 people and only one freakin snap ring to be found. I spent the last two days searching every parts place in the city looking for one. Finally located the right size one and came home tonight to throw it all back together.

Heading out with a group of guys on saturday to do some atv'ing. Was beginning to think I'd have to take the missus' old 250.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the boot angles are extreme on Polaris products and that will be a regular occurrence, along with accelerated wear in the cv joint. I'm glad you like the machine but as said before Polaris isn't my first choice, unless ride quality is the number one priority.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
10004054_10152068045952303_1677659982990829371_n.jpg

10367171_10152068056197303_1632693753893727562_n.jpg

Went out playing in the mud today. It was pouring rain this morning but that didn't stop us. I went out with a couple other guys exploring a trail system and playing in the gravel pits. We had a great time.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
those old Honda 300's made a good name for them selves here in bush Alaska. those Polaris machines will never live as long as that old Honda unless you just don't use them. the Honda has such a legacy that folks in the villages call all machines a Honda instead of quads, kind of like you all cannucks calling a sled a skidoo.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
drove one on tracks I think it was a 8 or 900 Polaris. it seemed to do ok.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That old 300 did alright today. Kept stalling for the first bit till we figured it was starving for gas. Turns out the guy forgot to open the vent on the cap. Today was the most fun I've had in a long time other than in bed.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We did a good mixture of riding today. Some gravel pits. Some tight trails with rolling bumps. Some rocky hills. Some mud. A few small creek crossings. And one flooded area.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Rotteuxx

Hey !

I've been browsing this thread looking into reviews for a 2003 Sportsman 700 Twin. I saw this add on Kijiji, comes with F/B wenches, backseat, front cargo, mag and ITP tires, supposedly well maintained, for 3500$ CAD.

It would be my first ATV, just moved to the country with my brother here in Bryson, Qc. 42 acres of hills (old 1900's granite mine that got renaturalized :biggrin: ) and kilometers of Federated trails all around. So main use would be as a workhorse (small to med logging, small trailer pulling, etc) and 2nd would be riding of course.

So in your experience since you've had a 700 for over 2 years now, would this be the right ATV for this kind of use ?

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure how it will perform as a workhorse. Should do OK since it was the biggest atv offered that year after all. I haven't had any major problems with mine so far though I've heard poor reviews about the polaris atv's. I paid $3200 for mine two years ago. Compared to anything else out there in that price range that was similar in size, I think I did alright.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey !

I've been browsing this thread looking into reviews for a 2003 Sportsman 700 Twin. I saw this add on Kijiji, comes with F/B wenches, backseat, front cargo, mag and ITP tires, supposedly well maintained, for 3500$ CAD.

It would be my first ATV, just moved to the country with my brother here in Bryson, Qc. 42 acres of hills (old 1900's granite mine that got renaturalized :biggrin: ) and kilometers of Federated trails all around. So main use would be as a workhorse (small to med logging, small trailer pulling, etc) and 2nd would be riding of course.

So in your experience since you've had a 700 for over 2 years now, would this be the right ATV for this kind of use ?
for work and towing get a bombardier traxter

Rotteuxx

Well, I decided to go with a BRP...

I tried my brother's '14 Outlander 800R and was sold on the Outlander line-up. I found a nice 2010 650 XT with only 3300km on it, driven by a retired wife who followed her husband around on it... can't say it got beat up at all, couldn't find any decent scratches anywhere.

Payed twice what the Polaris was going for but i got a real sweet ride with 60HP on it, gotta love Brp engineers.

Thanks for your insight !

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I run a traxter 500 the thing pulls like a diesel pretty good on gas and about impossible to roll. if there is a down side it is that it rides like a gen 1 dodge truck.