• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hurt my back: OMRON Tens Unit to the rescue!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure what I did to hurt my back but woke up in some serious pain. Lower back, mostly right side.

I suspect I hurt it helping my poor dog Misha get around. She only has use of her front legs. The back legs, as of a few weeks ago, no longer support her weight. So I have to "walk" her around my holding her up using her harness. I suspect that doing this has strained a muscle in my back.

In any case the lovely Mrs_Bob bought me an OMRON brand "Tens" electroshock therapy unit for Christmas LAST YEAR. I've used it on my knee and for various aches and pains. Been using it today and I honestly don't know/understand how this thing works but DAMN it sure does help.

If you have joint or muscle pain, you really need to consider buying one of these little battery operated devices, they are awesome :hammer:

I'm sure there are several brands, I'm sure they all work well. I can only speak to the OMRON brand. A couple of Double A batteries and you are good to go. Got ours at Walgreens. But I believe TARGET, WAL-MART and Amazon all sell it too.

The sticky stuff on the pads lasts a long time but it does wear off. You can buy replacement pads as needed.

This is the unit I have => https://omronhealthcare.com/products/electrotherapy-tens-pain-relief-pro-unit-pm3031/

They now also make a higher strength model too, this was not available last year and I've not seen this one in stores (yet) but it is available on the OMRON website => https://omronhealthcare.com/products/max-power-relief-unit-pm3032/

Seriously, if you have aches and pains, do yourself a favor and get one of these things.

Attachments

• OmronTensUnitReview.jpg
    OmronTensUnitReview.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN9832.jpg
    DSCN9832.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 132

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Melsdad, you are a mine of information.

I fell the week before Christmas. In the pitch dark one night, heading for bed, one of the dogs squeezed between me and a chair and took my left leg from under me. I twisted, tried to catch myself on the chair but missed and landed on my tailbone and lower back. Been hurting ever since.

After Christmas I got to feeling a bit better and since I was so far behind on my chores and it was really cold outside, I decided to change out an old, old fluorescent light in the shop that had quit working. The ceiling is about 12' high and I was 'way up on the ladder. I didn't realize how heavy that thing was until I got it loose and it nearly dragged me off the ladder. You got it, I hurt my back again. It's getting better faster this time because I'm giving it all the rest that I can stand but I think that I'll check out that OMRON Tens unit on Monday. I need to go to Walmart anyway.

By the way, I went through exactly the same thing with one of our dogs several years ago. That is a back killer. It darned near crippled me.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

By the way, I went through exactly the same thing with one of our dogs several years ago. That is a back killer. It darned near crippled me.

Yup, my right arm is in constant pain from lifting her too. This would be a lot easier if she was a small(er) dog. But at 80# she is too heavy for the lovely Mrs_Bob to lift so I do all the lifting, carrying. Her front half still works, and sometimes she wants to go for a run, at which point I hang on and try to slow her down, but damn she can twist/strain me and I'm sure that is the cause of the current back pain.

BTW, as for how to effectively use the unit, I tend to turn up the intensity until it starts to hurt, then I back it down 1 or 2 levels. So it ends up at the high end of "tingle" but just below the "pain" :smile:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob!!! My wife is also having back problems at the moment although I think that her problems have more to do with her hip. What a pair we make. Getting old is not for sissies!!!!! (or is it cissies)

I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and give it a try. At this stage, any relief would be a help. I've got so much to do and sitting around "resting" isn't getting it done.

That's how it was with our dog. She weighed 70# but was part Basset with little short legs. Walking her with the sling meant that you were constantly bent over. Being part hound, as soon as she found a scent that needed more investigation, she was off. I was left bent over, running, trying to keep her rear legs off the ground, just hanging on.

bill w

I got my first tens unit from a doctor about 18 years ago.it was a comfort-tens.it used a 9 volt battery and if turned all the way up it would make you flop around on the floor like you had been tasered. but used correctly,it was amazing. I recently went back and got another one for lower back pain. I will never be without one

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up an OMRON Tens unit on Monday. I haven't used it yet as my back is feeling pretty good right now. I'm going to put up that new shop light tomorrow so, no doubt, I'll be plugged in and twitching tomorrow night. :yum:

I'm trying to convince my wife to use it first as she is having back problems at the moment too. If it doesn't kill her, I'll feel better about using it. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I want to see a video posted of someone flopping around like they are being tasered!!!