• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Board games

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone here play em? We try to take at least one evening a week to play board games with the older boys. We figure it gets them off their video games and tv and we spend quality time as a family. We like the typical ones like monopoly, sorry, battleship etc.

Last year we heard about the game "Settlers of Catan". We decided to pick it up even though it was a steeper price. It's easy to learn and no two games are the same. The board is made up of many different tiles which you place at random. We found out there are expansion packs that add game tiles and pieces to the game and make it more interesting and challenging.

Settlers-of-Catan.jpg

B000W7JWUA-2-lg.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Growing up we played board games all the time. Monopoly, Risk, Life, Dogfight, just to name a few. I also played chess and got very good at it. Today, however, about the only board game I play is Scrabble, not many people here play chess, and some don't even know what it is.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, grew up playing board games. Of course back then there was almost no entertainment in the home apart from the radio and later one channel of TV programing... the BBC.

The first two that I remember were "Snakes and Ladders" and "Draughts" or Checkers. We also did a lot of jigsaw puzzles. I (we) played them right up until the mid or late 80s and then kind of fell out of the habit. We played Monopoly on a British board, Uno, Yatzee, and Scrabble which always led to fights because we had to decide whether we used an American dictionary or a British one. Very occasionally these days we'll clear off one end of the dining room table and get out a jigsaw puzzle. We also loved doing crossword puzzles. All that died with the advent of the computer and more recently, the rise of the Internet.

Being old, I still kind of miss those days. :sad:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
One of the things we do in our house is what we call electronic free Sunday. The kids aren't allowed their iPods, Wii, computer etc. It's a way to get them out playing outside or playing board games.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
One of the things we do in our house is what we call electronic free Sunday. The kids aren't allowed their iPods, Wii, computer etc. It's a way to get them out playing outside or playing board games.

Outside games were great too, Red Rover, kick the can, baseball in summer and football in fall. Those were great days.