• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Terra Tucker

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
Not all snocat adventures happen on the mountain in deep snow. Last week me and my wife set out to Canada from Wyoming to pick up our newly acquired Tucker. We were going to take the Duramax and a tandem dually goose neck trailer. Adding up the weight with the cat the extra blade, mounts and spare track, the whole load with the pickup would be 34000 lbs. So it was decided to take a big truck. (better to have the load than the load have you) We already had passports so getting threw customs at the border was easy, took less than 3 minutes, then off to Trans Canada (DOT) where we were told that they were going to do a level 1 inspection of the truck. So inside the building we went and 90 nail biting minutes latter and after dyno testing the brakes on all axles, they actually let us go. Canada has the roughest roads on the planet after 8 hrs of bouncing off the roof and doors of the truck my wife was like a caged bear. (this made things enjoyable) Because of the stop at the DOT we arrived in Edmonton after dark, had to find a place to stay that we could park the truck had to back track 20 miles to get this done. Next day we loaded the Tucker with no big issues and headed out. 20 miles out of Edmonton the truck lost power and we could not go over 45 MPH, of course no towns ahead, for 70 miles, that we could get a fuel filter. (Reddeer) We finally made it changed the filter which fixed the issue and we were off again. (You can't know how that feels not knowing if your going to make it to the top of the next hill. felt like the truck could die at any minute.) Back with full power we headed back for the border. We didn't get there before dark because of the fuel issues. This meant another night in Canada because of the wide load at night issues. Next morning at the boarder (Dot) didn't even stop us but at Custom the meanest guy on the planet keep us there for another 90 minutes while I had to convince him that I was really a Rancher and didn't owe them $4000.00 duty. They finally let us go. It felt like getting out of prison to get back in the US. (The sky is bluer and the roads smoother) One more Dot port where they checked our truck for red fuel ( they think all farmers and rancher run red fuel for some reason) and we were on the last leg of our journey. We thought we were home free but 150 miles from home the seal went out of the front diff and was spraying 90 W all over the front of the trailer. Found out that the vent was plugged by cutter bees and pressuring up the diff. pretty easy fix but made a big mess. Now that we are home I am going to make the tucker a 4 door and add a back seat (has the same cab as the 4 door version) I'll post some pics of the progress.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 283
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 283

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The elk you get in the pasture beside the barn doesn't taste as good as the one you had to cut up at the bottom of the canyon and pack out in six trips, by yourself, at night, in the snow, and up hill both ways.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Another adventure in towing !!!!
Good equipment and good skillz :)

How can the US Customs guy possibly think that they are going to get tax on an American made item ? Geesh.
I've crossed with 'cats and parts and plan ahead by reading their documents but there are several interpretations as to what catagory things might fall under and it has just been more expedient to pay than to argue on one occasion… but for that amount I would have argued !

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great trip:
Thanks for the post. I was thinking I was the only one who had less than awesome experiences towing. ( I feel colorful experiences like yours/ours just make you/us more interesting in conversation) it ended with you home safe and intact.
Big equipment:
My wife and I discuss regularly the True cost of towing and how a bigger truck would make more sense than work the heck out of the one ton level equipment. I am going to give a tandem axle IH 1900 series a try before we step up all the way to a tractor trailer.
The process:
I must be a lazy citizen, as I have little patience for all the forms and paper work. I have spent a significant amount of time trying to figure out what is necessary for lugging a snow cat from Canada to the US. The forms are ridiculous. I am sure the forms are intended for commercial importers. but the reality is simple, It was built here. some one let it out of the country, I am just bringing it back.

Again thanks for sharing.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
tatman,

Wish I had a triaxle detach... Mine is a drop deck, and for most things it's OK..

But, there is a 50,000 lb. Caterpillar 830 MB at Ft Benning Ga. I wish to bid on in an auction, and it is too tall for my trailer, to be legal anyway... As a farmer if I coud only go and get it myself... And save $$$ on commercial permits.

Glad you made it work for getting your snow cat. The wife will forgive you for the rough ride, in the end anyway..:ermm::yum::yum::flowers:

Regards, Kirk

nikos

Great trip:
I am sure the forms are intended for commercial importers. but the reality is simple, It was built here. some one let it out of the country, I am just bringing it back.

Redsqwrl

You remind me something like that
"Bring the boys back"

Nikos