• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTS 1989 Excel Hustler 440 Groomer

Unit located in North East corner of PA. 1.3 liter Ford gas engine. All hydraulicly operated. 8 foot, 8 way front plow with side wings. Rear sno comber compactor bar. Full one person cab, heat, lights, wiper. Rear carrier rack. 3400 hours. very good condition. Asking $8,500.00
questions? Call Brian @ 570-906-5703.

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,413
  • wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 2,378
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2,401
  • drag.jpg
    drag.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2,399
  • cab.jpg
    cab.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,482
  • cab back.jpg
    cab back.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,396
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 2,410

jdsr

This unit is relisted on craiglist - maine for 7500 jan.28. Same photos but says it has a 10 way blade.

I can't seem to find it on craigs list. Any more info available? Where in Maine? I doubt it is the same one, but would be intrested to see if they used my pic's!

jdsr

I found the groomer by typing in snow cat in the search craigslist box. In the box under that I made sure the for sale was checked. I also found it by typing in 1989 Hustler Groomer. It is in the RV section. Hope this helps. They are definitly your photos. I tried e-mailing to get more info and havn't heard back yet. You just never know with all the scammers on craiglist these days. :unsure:

jdsr

:wtf:So I'm wondering if this is the same one, it does have a photo with a tower in the background, and you did say it it was sold to someone that was going to service radio towers. I have e-mailed twice in the last 5 days and have gotten no response. I don't know how to spot a scam but I would think that if you were using someone elses photos that would probably have scam written all over it. Any thoughts.

Just a couple thoughts...if it was mine it may be easier to use my pics and add one. Also I saw his buddies 252 skidozer on Ebay for sale a few weeks ago, and he did really want a 2 seater...possibility...Maybe they lost the contract...What are the odds that someone would be looking here for a cat, see the pic's, find a cat on craigslist with the same pic's if it were a different machine? The new owner emailed me a few times said he loved it. It would seem odd to me for a scammer to use that machine. If you get an E-mail back from craigslist, I would suggest you physically inspect before ubuy if you suspect a scam. If it was mine, she was a sweet ride. Good luck. Let us know.

jdsr

Thanks for the advice.... I'm looking for a machine that I can collect sap with during Maple Syrup season and maybe use to plow my driveway that is over 600 ft. long. Since you have owned this machine can you tell me if it will go through (or over) deep snow? I still havn't got a response from the guy selling the Hustler but either way the info would be great just incase. I collect on an average 2-300 gallons of sap per day, have to go about a mile, and the average incline is about 20 degrees, so coming back out to the suger shack will be a challenge. How is the footprint compared to other Snow Cats?

We used to make syrup too! 20 degrees no problem. She lived on a ski mountain for 3 years. She pulled 3 sno guns right up and over. No ice cleats but only 20 degrees probably not a big deal. The guns would push her around on the way down 'cause no cleats. Half the ground weight of a Tucker. Book said .89/lbs/sq in. slightly more with blade. Deep snow...Let's roll!!! plowing 600' driveway, as long as it is dirt underneath, you will wish you bought a cat years ago!! Mine is 1500' and I missed her today!!! She was so nimble, a pleasure to plow with. I am wondering though about the weight of 600 gallons of sap. It should be close to 6,000 lbs. A pipeline to the bottom or a trailer on ski's would most likely do the trick. Bill @ sno trans sells kits to convert a snowmobile trailer to skis for about $1,300.00. But you could easilly make your own that rachet strap to tires, or even just to the rims may be better.

jdsr

Thanks for all the info. I would'nt be gathering 600 gals. a day but more like 300 at the most. Sorry if I confused you. Generally maple syrup (not the sap) weighs between 11 & 12 lbs. per gal. @ 66 brixs, so sap which is up to 90% water would be less. At the same time a trailer on skis would be the way to go no matter what the rig was. The only limitations would be the tight turns that may be encountered in the woods. I worked for a trailer manufacturer here in Maine for 15 years (SnoPro Trailers Inc.) until the failing economy did us in, and produced many trailers and Custom Ice Shacks. I have a lot of experience in the manufacturing of trailers as well as skis so that would be a money saver. The gentleman selling the Hustler finally e-mailed and said someone was buying it, but still hadn't come up with any money..... Guess I need to keep my fingers crossed? I appreciate your help and if there's a way you could send me your e-mail address I would be more than happy to send you a few qts. of Maines liquid gold. :a1: Maple Syrup season is fast approaching.!!

http://www.cooksequipment.com/

Bill Cook has a 1978 Tucker 1642 with a 360 gas and auto trans with a snow blade for $10,500. The site wouldn't let me view a pic of it. He did very well by me five years ago on a 1342 with a hydraulic maxey drag, and roller. He seemed honest, hardworking and trustworthy. I will say this about the excel...,...,..., and I quote...,...,..., IT AINT A TUCKER!!!!!!.

Tuckers are TOUGH, a little top heavy going across a steep slope, but from someone who has plowed commercialy for over 30 years, 5 or so for Penn Dot and for 11 years I was road work superintendent for the local township. 18 miles, 36 lane miles every snow, 1/2" or 2'. I am not telling you not to buy the excel, but for just slightly more, you get double plus the machine with a Tucker. In my opinion! My cell # is on the listing above. I get back with the school bus around 9:30am. and am available until noon and then again after 4:00 PM. Give me a ring Friday or Saturday. The days are getting longer and soon the sap will run. Don't wait...The lightest is the first run!!!! :biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i will put in my 2 cents worth with the disclaimer i have never drivin an excell i find most skid steer units don't turn well when pulling a load up hill an advantage ot a tucker or bv206 package. hdrostatic works a little better

radi0geek

Its the same one. Unit works great,its just not the right fit for me. The thing will plow a ton of snow and climb any mountian. I just dont think I will use it as much as I thought I would so I dont need anouther toy added to the small army or vehicels I have spread out around my yard. Sorry Brian, I should have asked you before I used the pics. I was just in a hurry as usual. This thing is in great shape and is turnkey ready to go. Has all new wheels ,tires and a new muffler and a new starter and more and its not an antique. It turns on a dime and is a blast to drive. Has a comfortable quite ride in a nice heated cab.

Last edited:

radi0geek

So..... This is not a scam. This unit is back on the market and availible now. Come and drive it. It looks even better in person. It wont last long.

Contact is 207-299-6121 or radi0geek@yahoo.com

Last edited:
Stacey, A guy from Long Island called me tonight...said he was calling u back and sending u a deposit. No problem with the pics. It was funny for a time wondering. And I made another friend from Maine! The guy from LI said it was more of a pain for u to load and unload at every stop than u realized it would be. The guy on here... "JDSR"... is from Maine and seems really interested as well. Needs her to haul sap out of the woods. Give him a shot. He was disappointed that it was gone so i told him about cooks. Did Mike sell his 252? I saw that on Ebay. Keep in touch.:wink: