• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What is the heaviest thing you've hauled II

BadAttitude

Doc posted a thread with this topic title in the public forums. I replied, but soon noticed an oops. The contents language was more appropriate here in this forum. My bad...
I deleted the original post and moved it here...hope the copy&paste works or I'll croak :( Here it is...

icon1.gif
Re: What is the heaviest thing you've hauled?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Whats the heaviest thing you've towed and what do you tow it with?
Thanks!

This thread title caught my eye and brought back a memory I'll never forget:eek::eek::eek:...

But I didn't haul it, a rental joint did. Yrs ago, I rented a 580 Case extendahoe from some hole in the wall rental store. Good price, good rig. On a Sat morn, they show up...pulling this thing with a 1 ton Chevy dually!! I couldn't believe it!!! I don't know what one of these 580's weigh, but it had to be all of 9-10K# with the trailer? maybe more?

Anyhoo, the clincher is... my driveway was just a path cut into the side of a hill at the time. Part of it was at least a 25* slope...likely more. Only about 8 or 9' wide and then it drops off into the valley. So here comes this dually chuggin up the hill, towing the Case behind it. About 1/2 way up, he lost traction...just spun the tires. THEN>>>it starts slidin backwards. With the brakes locked solid, it's still creepin back down the hill!!! The kid that's drivin is white as a ghost! He jumps out...I ask him...WTF? He says..."I ain't gettin back in there, No Fuggin Way!" I'm startin to freak myself, cuz this could get ugly. Somehow, I overcame my panic burst and ran to my rock pile for rocks. It was still only creepin, so I was able to throw some behind the trailer tires and finally stop it. Probably never moved so fast in my life...<gulp> just had a flashback and it seems like it happened yesterday..wow!!

Now what I ask? Him..."I ain't movin it. U want it U move it" me...Say What??? I get on the phone with his boss and tell him...here's the deal, I'll unload it if --1)I'm not responsible for whatever happens to your shid --2)If I save it...no charge for the use of it for the weekend. He agreed. Even though this was only a verbal agrrement, I had no choice. I needed the machine and it's stuck on my driveway. So here I go, "young dumb and full of cum" and hop in. Mind you, I didn't have any seat time on a extendahoe, never mind I NEVER unloaded one! As I soon learned...these extenda jobs are azz heavy. When the azz end of this thing rolled off the trailer, the front end shot straight up...<yee haa, what a ride>?? NOT A CHANCE!! Scared the beewillies outa me! Saw my life flash before my eyes or whatever that saying is:smileywac

When the front came down it bounced and out of the seat I went. The next bounce popped the door open and I'm still floppin around inside. It finally settled on all 4 and started rolling backwards at an angle and no ones at the wheel!! OH SHID! That's it... I'm all done!! :smileywac Well I lucked out, sorta. The hoe caught the bank on the side and WHAM...it stopped on a dime with 5 cents change. Only I didn't...out the door I went bounced a few times and then it was over. Everything in my world came to a dead halt. Dazed and bruise...at least I was still breathin. Got up shook-off the dirt- shakin like crazy-looked up and said...DAMN-HOLY SHID!! The kid couldn't believe what he saw either. He told me he thought I was history.

On Monday, it was a different driver...the kid who delivered wasn't comin back here, wonder why LOL ... and this time they brought a 10 wheel'd dump to haul it back. The boss lived up to his word and I had a blast with the free rig for a whole weekend.

WOW :eek: What a memory that was. One that I'll never ever forget...and sorry for the winded story...it took me forever to type.

BadAttitude

I thought some of you gys would get a charge out of it. Still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up when I think about it :eek: :eek:

BadAttitude

JayC said:
Boy, what a rush. That would have been one heck of a ride. :eek:

Been thinkin bout that ordeal ever since I posted it...'Rush' don't even begin to describe it. You had to be there to understand!! Yestreday, while at work I had several coworkers even ask me "what's wrong...your not yourself". I told them "just reminiscing about the past" I showed a couple guys this thread and their jaws dropped....all they said was WOW!!!

It's something that scar'd me for life. I was actually re-living it a few times during the day and started to quiver:eek: . I only wish i had a camera at the time to take a few 'after the fact' pics. If anything...I learned to have a serious respect for steep slopes and big equipment...especially rubber tire'd ones:D

I plan to post a topic about the driveway and slope in the near future. I'll include a few pics of what it looks like now.

BA