• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Broke Waterline

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
:eek:

Thought I heard the furnace kick in, but the sound wasn't quite right; then thought maybe it was a sump pump, but I was just prepping them for spring and it was on today's list to plug them back in. So threw on some boots quick, went down the basement to find it an overgrown shower!

Now perhaps I needed a shower, but being a bit more concerned about the furnace, or breaker boxes, gettting wet - not to mention the hairdo I might get if showering with a wet furnace and 240V waterheater [which I don't think make great :showerSex companions anyway] while standing in a foot of water - I opted to shut off the water.

In a few minutes, I'll head down, kick in the pumps and assess the damage above; the basement isn't finished, so, if the furnace and breaker boxes all survived [looking positive on the latter, only even shut off the former] only paint cans and "stuff" will have damage rather than walls etc. However while waiting for the dripping among overhead lines and chases to stop, had to share with everyone here, so you know that according to the Law of Conservation of "$h!t Happens" you'll all have a great Monday! Enjoy! :tiphat:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What a terrible way to start your week :(

Any idea what caused the water line to break?

On the paint cans, make sure you get the bottoms of the cans very dry. If not, they can/will rust out. Guess what happens next time you lift the can? Don't ask how I know... :hide:

urednecku

Site Supporter
And that stuff never happens when you have plenty of time and wondering what to do next.:sad:
Good luck, & be careful with the electric!!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
What a terrible way to start your week :(

Any idea what caused the water line to break?

On the paint cans, make sure you get the bottoms of the cans very dry. If not, they can/will rust out. Guess what happens next time you lift the can? Don't ask how I know... :hide:

My first reaction was to apply a bit of "verbal lubrication" to the situation; however, after deciding the application of a wrench to the shut-off to be more prudent, was actually quite happy it happened while I was home.

Found it pretty easily; and if hadn't been expecting more obscure locations would have found it immediately: Somebody had a real love for this semi-flexible black plastic tubing when this place was plumbed [maybe 50 to 75years ago in this 110 year old house] and used it on all the larger lines; it's joints are plastic "hose barb" type connectors with hose clamps. It slipped off a joint right after the T between the house and outbuildings; not sure if there was a pressure surge or if it was just time that got the best of it.

Same stuff, but in about 2" size has often given fits for drain lines which we've been slowly replacing with PVC. I often threatened to just rip it out and run PVC or Copper, but short of ripping out every inch, feared vengence of some corollary to Murphy's Law since the pressure lines hadn't given us trouble yet.

Thanks for the advice on the paint cans bczoom! I had them on a plastic pallet so they should clean up easy but noting your experience, think I'll be opening that cardboard case and drying them as well.

For irony, my 36" pipe wrench and the dehumidifier were among items that got wet. :biggrin: Just exterier wipedown with a little WD-40 added to the former, and a some drying time added to the latter, I think they'll be fine. The furnace looks like it was just exterior, but I have to pop a couple panels and check the control board before I want to turn it on.

On the downside, now I really don't think I can trust that black tube on the pressure lines. :doh:

Attachments

• Tubing.jpg
    Tubing.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Paint.jpg
    Paint.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 220

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
And that stuff never happens when you have plenty of time and wondering what to do next.:sad:
Good luck, & be careful with the electric!!

"plenty of time and wondering what to do next." What's that!? :yum:

I'll try to be careful, Thanks redneck!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Let things dry up a bit and the furnace is fine; the paint cans were on a fairly high spot so, with the pallet's height, survived the flood well, and the dehumidfier acted as a nice splash guard too so only the lids got sprinkled and only had to wipe the bottoms on a few.

Some plain junk got buried in mud on the lower corner, but that is a good excuse to remove it, so not too much real damage. The plastic tubing, however is even less promising than I hoped, so going copper isn't on the "someday list" anymore. :bonk:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The plastic water line should be o.k. to use. Try using a torch and warming it up a little to put it back on the T fitting. Use 2 clamps on all the fittings and you will be fine. If the T is not well supported you can replace it with a brass one from ace hardware or most plumbing supply houses. If you decide to change it out, using pex pipe is much cheaper than copper and very easy to work with. If you change what you have you may be disappointed with the drop in pressure as smaller lines won't deliver the volume you are used to.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Forty years or more [probably 70] old and getting brittle, I just didn't trust it even if I could have got the joint to hold. Actually, I almost went PEX, but, of all stupid reasons to do something, I just didn't think it'd look right with copper already on each side. On the positive, 3/4" copper matches the ID of the plastic and it gave me the excuse to redo how it was Tee'd, so actually not choking the lines nearly as much as previously.

On the negative, my copper cutter broke halfway through the job [not a problem with PEX!], so another trip to town before I'm done. I'm really becoming convinced I somehow irritated Murphy's Law in a past life or something. :bonk:

Caitlin

Forty years or more [probably 70] old and getting brittle, I just didn't trust it even if I could have got the joint to hold. Actually, I almost went PEX, but, of all stupid reasons to do something, I just didn't think it'd look right with copper already on each side. On the positive, 3/4" copper matches the ID of the plastic and it gave me the excuse to redo how it was Tee'd, so actually not choking the lines nearly as much as previously.

On the negative, my copper cutter broke halfway through the job [not a problem with PEX!], so another trip to town before I'm done. I'm really becoming convinced I somehow irritated Murphy's Law in a past life or something. :bonk:

One fine example of why workmen always make so much money out of me. If it goes beyond lightbulb replacement or blown fuse... *scratch head* ...hope all is fixed and good now?