• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Gizmo is ill

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: The pet thread

hey guys,

My Gizmo, one of my favorite cats is in the hospital tonite. Apparently with a full bladder and possible kidney problems. Bladder wont be a big deal, but kidneys means he will be added to the cemetery we have in the back. The vet was not real assuring.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Danny,
I'm very sorry to hear this news. We just went thru an ordeal with genetic kidney failure with our previous Great Dane. It's quick is about the only good thing I can say about it. So sad though. Hang in there, and lets hope for the best.

rico304

Hey Danny. I really hope everything works out for the best for you and Gizmo. Our cat had 2 kittens and I told my wife we were not keeping either of them. No names until someone wants them because I don't want anyone getting attached to them. We called them fat Albert and skinny Albert. (A nick name is ok isn't it??:eek: ) Well, 10 years later I had to take Fat Albert into the Dr's to be put to sleep due to illness. Very tough time!
They steal a piece of your heart whether we want them to or not.
I know my rambling doesn't help, but I wanted you to know I do understand and I REALLY do feel badly for you right now.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Sorry to hear about this. Pets have such a good life until sickness sets in. Unfortunately they can't tell up where it hurts until there are more distressing signals, and many times that is too late. I lost Kelsey, my German Shorthair to a kidney tumor that was inoperable. That was a real bummer since she was so young. This picture was take in December 2002 when Molly the Dachshund was a puppy.

Attachments

• Kelsey&Molly.jpg
    Kelsey&Molly.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 187

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Danny. I usually find it very hard to reply to threads like this. It brings back memories I don't care to recall. It's very hard to loose a critter. We just had our Beagle/Lab mix put down, she had kidney and bladder stones very badly. We lose a cat or a dog about once a year. It sure isn't fun. I don't say anything to a non-critter lover about it. They've usually got a real nasty comment or something to say, so I don't bother. They don't know what it's like.

Jan and I have a place we lay them to rest in, and each has it's own marker of some sort. I may be a grown man, but every time I walk by those spots, I think of who is buried there, and wish things could have been better. I get very attached to all of them.

Some think animals are, animals. I've got news for them, animals are more humane than a great share of people I've had to deal with. Humans could certainly take a lesson or two from a dog or cat. With one of them, you know what you have, no surprises, no treachery, no lying, nothing superficial.

Believe me, I know your pain. Take care Danny.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well got some good news! Sort of. Gizmo had emergency surgery last nite. Seems they could not get a catheter in him to drain the bladder. Some kind of stones (kin to us passing stones) was completely blocking him up. Much more time and he would have had kidney failure. Saw him today at lunch, and he is sore, but he calmed down some when he saw I was there. He will spend a couple more days there then home for some time to recoup. On a special diet for his lifetime now. The vet did right by going ahead, not even sure what the cost is yet, and dont care. He would not have lived the night had she not done surgery.

These cats are our kids, they are not human, but we care for them, and 2 of them we raised from bottle fed to mature.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Danny on the great news!!!!! And good job to your vet!!! :tiphat: :beer: :beer:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hopefully Wednesday! We will not be here so may wait till Friday when we will be here all day.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Alright, I need some rocking chair advice. Vet did surgery without notifying us. We had not discussed this drastic a measure at this time. So far the bill is 568.00. I am not saying we would not have done this, but she is now telling us IF his kidneys hold out he should be good to go. Special food and medicine will be needed for him also.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you answered your own question below.
It sounds like it was an emergency situation. For that kind of surgery it doesn't sound bad. When our miniature dachshund needed a surgery that might help him it was 1300 bucks, and that was over 5 years ago. Unless something is just not sitting right with you about this situation, my advice would be not to give it a 2nd thought. Had the vet contacted you, you would have told him/her to do what they thought gave Gizmo the best shot, right?

ddrane2115 said:
Well got some good news! Sort of. Gizmo had emergency surgery last nite. Seems they could not get a catheter in him to drain the bladder. Some kind of stones (kin to us passing stones) was completely blocking him up. Much more time and he would have had kidney failure. Saw him today at lunch, and he is sore, but he calmed down some when he saw I was there. He will spend a couple more days there then home for some time to recoup. On a special diet for his lifetime now. The vet did right by going ahead, not even sure what the cost is yet, and dont care. He would not have lived the night had she not done surgery.

These cats are our kids, they are not human, but we care for them, and 2 of them we raised from bottle fed to mature.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
Alright, I need some rocking chair advice. Vet did surgery without notifying us. We had not discussed this drastic a measure at this time. So far the bill is 568.00.
This is tough... Are you looking for:

Advise as to whether to continue medical care?
Are you looking for confirmation that the $568 was worth it?
Would we have spent the money?

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
medical care will continue. The only thing I am concerned about is IF his kidneys dont respond, it may all have been in vain, and I dont know if there was a way to know this prior to surgery. Yes we would have done this. She tells me he is 90% clear right now.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
She tells me he is 90% clear right now.

That sure sounds good. Good luck with him Danny, I sure hope it all works out for the better. Keep us posted!

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Back home, doing well. On a special diet for life, and back for stitches removal next week.

BoneheadNW

Yahooooooooooo!! :dancing: :thewave: :jumpingSm

Sounds like great news that he is back home. I know how you feel as I had to put my boy Fuzz down almost 3 years ago (that's the big white dog in my pic).

All I can say is that as long as his quality of life is good, I would have spent anything to keep him home with me.

Heres hoping for a quick recovery.

Bonehead

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
relapse i guess, had to take him back to the hospital, he was breathing heavy again, not eating or drinking, and going to the litter box too much. Not sure right now, but having doubts as to whether surgery should have been done in the first place. Kidneys may have been damaged.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hate to hear that Danny. Good luck with him. Keep us posted.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Back home, still not sure about the vet. He seems to be doing some better, and he rode on my shoulder today, which is his favorite ride.

We will see!