• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Light pole installation

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Has anyone put in a light pole onto a concrete base? I'm getting ready to install one that way. It will sit over 4 bolts which will be placed in the concrete base as it's drying.
I'm thinking of using 1" or 1 1/2" pipe in an L shape for running the wire through. I would have it come up in the middle of the 4 bolts which will anchor the light base down. The light pole has access to fit your hands through to wire up the dusk to dawn lamp.
This is my first time doing a project like this and I'm wondering if you all did it like I'm thinking (I doubt it) or is there a better way?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You're right on track.

I'm assuming the "L" pipe is buried in the concrete and is the conduit for fishing the wire. I wouldn't use a sharp "L" but get more of a sweeping 90 degree turn so it's easier to fish the wire and it won't bind anything up.

Also, leave yourself a decent amount of extra wire behind the access panel. This will allow you to make your connections outside the light pole and then just "stuff" the wire inside once connections are completed.

Your pipe is probably pretty watertight but consider drip loops anywhere the wire connections may encounter water (and obviously tape all connections).

I also assume you're using UF-B wire for this application.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good thought on the sweeping L BC. I had not thought of that, I was going to have a small rope through the pipe to pull the wire through.
BC said:
I also assume you're using UF-B wire for this application.
I'm trying to get the concrete done this week for the basketball, flagpole and light pole. I added the light pole because I'll have extra concrete from the other two projects. I have not even considered what type of wire to use.
Why would you suggest UF-B wire? I've never heard of it. :confused:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
I have not even considered what type of wire to use.
Why would you suggest UF-B wire? I've never heard of it. :confused:

Because regular NM-B (the Romex you use around the house) isn't made for outdoor use.

UF-B is made for outdoor use and can either be put in conduit or you can do a direct underground burial. You didn't mention how you're going to run the wire from the pole to the supply but you REALLY need to use UF-B.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will be using wire rated for outdoor use, and I plan to put it in conduit. This will only be a 25 or 30' run.

Is there an easy way to up a 20 or 25' light pole? I haven't figured out how to do that yet. FEL nice and slow maybe? :confused:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just re-read your post.

For the flagpole, is it the type that a piece of conduit gets buried in the concrete then the pole gets slid in later? If not, let's talk... If it is, just make sure you get that conduit/sleeve as vertically level as you can possibly manage. When off by just a little, it gets exaggerated over a 20' (or whatever height your pole is).

Also, depending on the pole location related to the other projects, have you considered putting a ground level light that shines up at the flag? It looks very nice. If you're already having to get a spool of UF-B wire, one PAR-38 ground level fixture, a little more burying of wire and voila!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
Is there an easy way to up a 20 or 25' light pole? I haven't figured out how to do that yet. FEL nice and slow maybe? :confused:

FEL would probably be best. I would propose/recommend you put an extension on your bucket first. You'll want to connect to the pole at a height greater than what your FEL can reach. If you don't, the top 1/2 of the pole weighs more than the bottom and will want to flip upside down unless you have someone hanging onto/securing the lower 1/2. If something slips, that top 1/2 comes crashing down (and will inevitably smash the light).

This same approach should be used for the flag pole as well. I've smashed the ball a couple times by not following this approach.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure what kind of extension you mean for the FEL.

But as long as I have a person at the base holding it down, I might not need the extension. Is this correct?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some sort of boom (4x4 or something) to extend the height reach of your FEL.

If someone is holding the bottom, you should be OK. If possible, I would have 2 people working from the ground. One to hold the pole (keeping it down/balanced) and the other to line things up into the hole(s).

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,
Have you thought about how you're going to lower the pole for future maintenance on the light? Bulbs, etc.
Our light pole is about 2-1/2" aluminum, so it's pretty lightweight. We set two pieces of 4" angle iron in concrete with the flats of each parallel about 3" apart and plumb. They are about 2' in the ground (concrete) and about 5' high above the ground. Drilled a 1/2" hole through the angle iron flats about 2" from the top and about a foot from the ground. Drilled corresponding holes in the pole (to match those in the angle iron) and put a 1/2" nut/bolt through the bottom set of holes. When you get ready to raise the pole you can either get under it and "walk" it up or you can slowly raise with the FEL. When it gets upright put the nut/bolt in the top set of holes.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glenn9643 said:
Doc,
Have you thought about how you're going to lower the pole for future maintenance on the light? Bulbs, etc.
Our light pole is about 2-1/2" aluminum, so it's pretty lightweight. We set two pieces of 4" angle iron in concrete with the flats of each parallel about 3" apart and plumb. They are about 2' in the ground (concrete) and about 5' high above the ground. Drilled a 1/2" hole through the angle iron flats about 2" from the top and about a foot from the ground. Drilled corresponding holes in the pole (to match those in the angle iron) and put a 1/2" nut/bolt through the bottom set of holes. When you get ready to raise the pole you can either get under it and "walk" it up or you can slowly raise with the FEL. When it gets upright put the nut/bolt in the top set of holes.

Sounds like a good way to do it Glenn. :thumb:
Not sure it would work in this instance. I thought I would put a ladder up to the pole and just climb right up there. The pole is 25' (I finally measured it yesterday). It is lightweight. Two can easily lift it. It's 6"s at the base telescoping to 2 1/2"s at the top.

The bad news is that the pole has sat for awhile, and I found a crack in the base. It will need welded & modified. I might be able to improvise something like Glenn posted.

Glenn, to allow your pole to swing like that for maintenence did you install extra wire to allow for the swing motion or do you unhook the wires before lowering?

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't know if you're serious about the ladder, but the top of a 25' lightweight pole doesn't seem like a very substantial base to rest a ladder against!
The bottom of my pole is about 6" off the ground and I did allow a little extra wire to accomodate movement. It doesn't require much. I always leave the bolt through the bottom holes and disconnect the top to lower. Even though your pole seems light now it'll be a lot more cumbersome with a decent nightlight attached to the top to try to take down for maintenance and put back up. With the bottom anchored one person should be able to raise or lower.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was serious about the ladder. :eek: Probably would have had 2nd thought when the time came to change out the bulb.

But I like your idea mucho better.
I'll try to set mine up very much like yours.
Thanks Glenn!!!!!!

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If the appearance of the angle iron is a problem you can make a frame from 2" steel pipe for support and paint, put some sort of cap on top for trim. They're available at most decorative iron/fence suppliers. Might look better for you; I'm in the "country" and it doesn't bother us.

Attachments

• pond_bench (Custom) (Medium).JPG
    pond_bench (Custom) (Medium).JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We're in the country to. But, my wife might think it's a bit fugly if you know what I mean. I'll consider 2" pipe. Now you got me thinking! :D