• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Outdoor Bar, need suggestions for counter top

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While we were in the UK the construction gnomes came to my house and built me a little pool shed/bar combo. You can tell from the photo its not quite done yet, but there is one critical part that I need before we can continue with the project. I need a freeze proof/water proof/weather proof countertop for the new bar. I have to wire up the electrical, add some light fixtures, install the door hardware, but there is a bit more carpentry that is being held up by a lack of counter top/bar.

The counter top will be 8' long by 2' wide and will rest in the opening on the front of the shed. We get temps in the winter to Minus 20 (F) and summer temps that exceed 100 (F). We also get a fair amount of rain and snow. So that said, any sort of man made laminated material is ruled out, it simple won't stand up to outdoor weather.

Can I use "Silestone" or "Zodiac" quarts products outside . . . which would allow me to match the kitchen countertops? Or would I be best off to stick with a natural stone like granite?

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 98

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After reading the title and before reading your post, granite was what was sticking in my mind. Are you considering a tile option or do you want to stay with a single piece?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
granite (solid or tile), poured concrete, corian or similar solid, porcelain tile with epoxy based grout, 12-18mm thick glass, or synthetic decking material.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an older outdoor kitchen area that I built about a decade ago and I used tile for that one and its still looking pretty good. However I would prefer to use 1 piece of material.

1st choice would be a quartz solid countertop but I don't know if it is 'outdoor' rated.

2nd choice would be a natural stone.

3rd choice would be concrete, but as it is more porous I'd be concerned it might stain from a fruit/dark drink??? I guess sealing it would work but how often would concrete have to be re-sealed?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
My outdoor bar now has blue corral granite. I keep it covered when not in use, and am supposed to reseal it twice a year, per my granite guy. He supplies the sealer. Almost smells more like a solvent than anything else.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Corian is pretty tough stuff. It should work fine for what you need.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Both Silestone and Corian are composites. I do not know of the durability of Silestone, but Corian is pretty soft and scratches easily.

I'd stick with granite. It comes in an infinite number of colors at present. Something for everyone.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I ordered granite. Should arrive the end of this coming week?

Its sort of a dark brown color so it should contrast nicely with the tan color of the pool shed and match up pretty well with the roof shingles.

During my investigations I was told to stay away from Corian for this type of application but that the Quartz products like Silestone and Zodiac should be OK but that Granite would weather the best.

Lia

Banned
Not being an expert in the construction line, I couldn't really say what would be best, altho granite does sound good, and can look really cool. But, as for the rest of it, nice work. It looks good.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It looks super, when is the grand opening?

Well I need to run electricity for lights, a blender, etc. The granite supplier called yesterday to schedule the install of the counter top. We should be good to 'open for business' by this weekend. Are you coming?!?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I have the granite in place. The door is now leveled up and I've installed the door knob and lock. The swing down panel is built and in place to seal up the 'bar' when not in use and I just finished installing some weather stripping on the bottom edge so it seals up tight enough to keep out a driving rain!

PROGRESS is a good thing.

I have an electrician coming out to run some circuits. The circuits will be pulled out of the pool computer control panel, its a glorified electric box but its a bit more complex than I feel comfortable with messing with. Eventually we'll have a couple lights on the front of the pool shed, a couple inside the shed, and some outlets for a blender and misc other things. There will also be a security camera mounted to the shed overlooking the pool, just because it will be easy to add.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After the electric is wired up I can start to work on the inside. Here is the current state of the project.

Attachments

• IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 27

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking good , I was gonna ask if it was the same building cuz it sure looks much lighter in these pics . After looking at the top pic it looks like the granites a nice match . good job . :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The very bright sunlight today makes the colors wash out a bit. The granite color is very nearly the color of the shed roof.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good Bob!

What's supporting the granite? It appears to be balancing on the 2x4 stud.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is a 2x4 stud wall, with a double 2x4 'header' running under the granite (hidden in the photo by the granite due to the angle of the shot). There are also 5 18" long by 4" wide steel plates that are recessed flush into to wall and screwed into place. Epoxy on top of the steel plates and the granite slab then sits on top. The granite slab is 8' long and 24" wide. When the granite was put into place it essentially was just glued in place and held there by gravity.

Now that the flip up/down 'concession stand' door is in place over the granite, there is actually some trim wood that surrounds the door that locks the granite in place. So now to remove the granite you'd have to remove the trim that surrounds the flip down door, then break the epoxy, then lift out the slab.

Really hoping the electrician can get out here and do the wiring soon. He's doing it as a side job and has some health issues with his parents so my little job is taking back seat and is delayed. Can't really proceed until he gets out here.