• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tractor rear end tear down

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have a Massey dealer near you they might have the bolts or be able to get them.

Yep thats what I,m hoping for Bill . I had a guy reply to me at TBN & sent me this link http://www.agcopartsbooks.com/EpsilonWeb/book.aspx?book=agco/1637321 Its an online manual for a MF 1240 & looks to be exactlly like my Iseki . I,ve been printing out the pages all morning & now have a perty good reference booklet with part #,s . it also has the breakdown of all of the parts I need to repair the front end :biggrin: . Now I have to do some calling around & see if any parts actually exsist or available . But at least I have somewhere to start from . I,ll update as I find more out . Thanks again to everyone for the help . :wink:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought I would update this . I said screw trying to find the so called right bolts & use some from my stock . I went with 5/16ths grade 8 hex bolts & what I beleive are grade 5 or 6 nylock nuts . The ones I had were 1/4 inch to long of threads so I cut them off with my die grinder , the shoulder length was perfect & they fit in the carrier and ring gear nice & snug as well . :biggrin:

The one mistake I made was to put the new bolts in the carrier on the bench first thinking I could slip it back in like it came out . I held my mouth every which was several times for 3 hours last night & no way no how would it go back into place . :hammer:

I loosened them back up enough to let the ring gear slide a little bit loose & it slipped right in finally , it pays to have patience sometimes. I retightened them going criss cross a little at a time till they were tight enough IMO & got everything else put back together inside the rear gear housing :biggrin:

Next step is replacing the axle side casings then the top & all the friggen cellenoids that came on this jap tractor so all,s going good at this point . I had a concern about using the same nylocks again but decided they seemed to still draw up tight enough I went ahead and went with them . Probablly not the best idea but i'm tired of messing with the damn thing & didn't have any more new nuts. :w00t2:

This (pics ) is where I am at now & hope to finish it up in the next few days unless I decide to do some modifications to it such as building a ROPs for it , still undecided though . I,ll update when I get further . Thanks again for the advice as well as following the thread . The first 2 pics are of the new bolts & nuts used installed & they look even look much stronger then the little ones that came out originally :biggrin:

Attachments

• P1030001.JPG
    P1030001.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 59
  • P1030002.JPG
    P1030002.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 60
  • P1030003.JPG
    P1030003.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 59
  • P1030004.JPG
    P1030004.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 59
  • P1030005.JPG
    P1030005.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 59

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you turn the mainshaft and check for interference between ring and pinion? Good to check before you go much farther.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you turn the mainshaft and check for interference between ring and pinion? Good to check before you go much farther.

Yessir I sure did Bill , Good point though thanks . :wink:

I actually noticed a few spots on the ring gear as well as the pinion teeth that were just a tad bit scarred , They wern't bad but I deburred a few spots & polished best I could . All seems to be Ok & I made damn sure I put the right shims in the same position as they came out between the outside carrier bearing holders & the housing .

I just put some white lithium grease on the ring gear & spun it a few times to check the pattern & it seems fine as well .

Them Friggen side axle cases are heavier then they look & have to be lined up perfect the the rear axle brg to slide back in the housing, so I cut the heads off of a half a dozen long bolts so I,m hoping using them as guides it will slide right back into place without binding . Kind of a pain when Ya aint got no extra set of hands , but I'm used to doing shit by myself . :w00t2:I,ll see how it goes after lunch & a beer :biggrin:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Just thought I'd show tonights progress if you want to call it that . I really wanted to get both side axle case done tonight but aint gonna happen . Left sides all back together though so I'm one third there .

Them fuckers are much heavier then they look BTW :w00t2:. I gota fight the other side tommorow that has the rearend lock lever on it , Sure seemed a lot easier when I took it apart though . :hammer:

Attachments

• P1040002.JPG
    P1040002.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 49
  • P1040003.JPG
    P1040003.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 49
  • P1040006.JPG
    P1040006.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 49

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Teardowns like that are always a wrestling match! Be glad nothing big got busted up with all that hardware flopping around in there. One good chunk between gears and you would be dropping big bucks instead of new bolts.:clap:

Last edited:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Them fuckers are much heavier then they look BTW :w00t2:. I gota fight the other side tommorow that has the rearend lock lever on it , Sure seemed a lot easier when I took it apart though . :hammer:

Do you have an engine hoist with a leveler? Should make lifting and aligning the last one pretty easy.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Teardowns like that are always a wrestling match! Be glad nothing big got busted up with all that hardware flopping around in there. One good chunk between gears and you would be dropping big bucks instead of new bolts.:clap:
Yep thing is Bill , When I brought the tractor in to tear it down I had all intentions of just parting it out , I just knew I did some serious damage to it & I couldn't find any parts for the front end so I figured I was SOL on the rearend as well . :unsure:

Even after it screwed up i still used it in forward gears for loader work , It only locked up in reverse. How I didn't screw it up worse is beyond me :w00t2: Funny thing is I had the loader advertised on craigslist for sale for a month before I figured out I had a chance of fixing the tractor . First damn time I ever been happy about something not selling. :clap:
Do you have an engine hoist with a leveler? Should make lifting and aligning the last one pretty easy.

Nope, I sold it last year when I decided I wasn,t going to do any more engine work , It sat for 3 years & I never needed it UNTILL I sold it :hammer:

Damn good idea on the engine leveler though Dave, Thanks . I never even thought of that , I will have a new one by tommorow . I can allways rig something up for it to hang from untill I get my rolling A-frame built . :wink:

My backs fucked up this morning, so I doubt i'll get anything done today . :unsure:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Damn good idea on the engine leveler though Dave, Thanks . I never even thought of that , I will have a new one by tommorow . I can allways rig something up for it to hang from untill I get my rolling A-frame built . :wink:

My backs fucked up this morning, so I doubt i'll get anything done today . :unsure:

20 bucks at Harbor Freight or equivalent. Sore back gives you a chance to go shopping :whistling:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
After taking a day off to heal up I was able to get the main gearbox parts back together by last night . The hardest part was lining the damn differential lock in place & sliding it all together, but after 3 attempts , some choice 4 letter words & about a pint of blood I gotter done . :doh:

Down to putting the body back together , wiring & fuel . should be taking it for a test run later this evening if all go's well . Heres how it sits now . :wink:

Attachments

• P1060001.JPG
    P1060001.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 31
  • P1060002.JPG
    P1060002.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 31
  • P1060003.JPG
    P1060003.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 32

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you going to try to track down parts for the front drive? At least you will be ready if a big snow comes along.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you going to try to track down parts for the front drive? At least you will be ready if a big snow comes along.
Yessir I am , I think the small gear from a massey 1240 will be the same as the one I really need , the others I think I can have welded up because there just not that bad . The one big gear is perfect except for part of one tooth is broke but I dont think it will be that hard to weld up & I dont go very fast when I'm in 4 WD anyway .

I moved snow with it before not even putting in in 4 wd so Yep I,m ready . I just took it for a test drive & everythings fine & even all the fancy jap cellenoids & controls work , they never did before exept for the tilt on the 3 point . :w00t2:

I was gonna try ta get some action pics but the wifes babysittin so Hers a few put back together . Case Closed for now . :biggrin:

Thanks again to all :wink:

Attachments

• P1070001.JPG
    P1070001.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 49
  • P1070002.JPG
    P1070002.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 50
  • P1070003.JPG
    P1070003.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 50

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking good cowboy.....Hope you find all the parts you need....

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I have followed this thread and enjoyed every word of it. Well done. :thumb: :tiphat:
I sure hope you will share more repair stories as you do them.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob I to have enjoyed your pics, but I think that I will wish for you t5hat you do not have any more tare downs to share!!!! Am betting you would rather be taking a pic now and then of a tractor working.....with NO brake downs!!!:whistling::biggrin: Heres hopping the test drive went smothly, Have a great day!!!!:clap:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I have followed this thread and enjoyed every word of it. Well done. :thumb: :tiphat:
I sure hope you will share more repair stories as you do them.

Thanks Tom , glad you enjoyed it :wink: I think threads like this actually help a lot of folks that aren't even members here because it will show up on search engines under Iseki repair . I was in hopes that it might get others to join & take part in this forum as it would be a benefit to any other "Grey market" tractor owner , which seems to be a bad name on most tractor forums. :ermm:

Bob I to have enjoyed your pics, but I think that I will wish for you t5hat you do not have any more tare downs to share!!!! Am betting you would rather be taking a pic now and then of a tractor working.....with NO brake downs!!!:whistling::biggrin: Heres hopping the test drive went smothly, Have a great day!!!!:clap:

Glad you enjoyed them to Jerry :wink: . I really kind of enjoyed this repair job after I got into it , it sure helps since I got my shop all setup to where I can actually work on stuff again . :smile:

The best thing about it is I have been contacted by a few people local to me that are wanting me to do some repair work for them after seeing this thread . :clap:

loboloco

Good job Cowboy. I would have gone absolutely nuts working on that small a tractor. Damn near as bad as a riding lawn mower.