• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Heating suggestions for heating a 1900 sq foot basement

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have natural gas and want to use it to heat the basement also.

I have a forced air gas furnance, but it was sized for the upstairs. The furnance is 12 years old. Perhaps upgrading to a bigger furnance and adding some duct work would be the best alternative. Or maybe one or two wall mounted gas heaters. The space is not that cold now, but it is not as warm as the living space upstairs. I have not started finishing the space yet so my options are more open.

There will be one bedroom, one bathroom and a computer room all with doors. Other than that the area will be pretty open. I suppose we could use an electric heater in the bedroom to keep the temp up when someone is staying overnight down there as that will not be that many nights during the winter season.

As for air conditioning, the current air conditioner keeps it cool enough down there as things are now.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have good sized trunk lines coming from your current furnace? If you are going to build walls for the bedroom downstairs you could take off a supply at one end of the room and a return at the opposite end to get some heat down there. Would not take much duct pipe to run it that way. Put dampers in the ducts and just open when needed.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
More than likely you'd furnace was sized to handle your basement. If not finished off you could probably even add a zoning system for better control. I would have a local HVAC guy look at it to give you options. Also if your furnace is twelve years old I would even look at getting a new one while the stimulus money is out there. You can get up go 1500.00 until the end of this year.

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc.. what are you planning to do to finish the ceilings in the basement..any heat you dump into the basement ..will have a effect of heating the upper floor.. I don't think adding a few ducts in line into the basement will hurt anything...especilly if you cut a return grill into your return duct in the basement... I'm guessing thats where your furnace is located now..might be worth a try....B,

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good thoughts guys. It sounds very doable. 1500 credit sure sounds good. I was not ready to jump yet but that might get me off my butt a little sooner. Thanks all for the suggestions.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Good thoughts guys. It sounds very doable. 1500 credit sure sounds good. I was not ready to jump yet but that might get me off my butt a little sooner. Thanks all for the suggestions.

The stimulus is only good until the end of this year so you would have to do something now or at least do the furnace portion.